Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #1

Thumbs down It happened again yesterday...=(

Well, what can I say, people just dont like people driving a Porsche and they are very jealous.

Some background, I am 21 and I drive a BoxsterS, I am in college and I am about to attend my graudation commencement. I finished in Computer Science with more than just fair grades (GPA 3.3).

I do not work, I know that not everyone in this world has the chance to drive a BoxsterS in their 21st year and I know a lot of people have worked for it and deserve to have this car more than me.

Now for the story...

I usually do not go to "frat parties" (Fraternity parties) and even if I do I never take my car there. However, yesterday I Had to take it because not everyone would fit in the other one car we had. I called my friend and ensured a safe parking spot so we took off. Upon arrival there were about 70-80 people outside in the parking lot, drinking and having a good time. The moment I got in the driveway all the heads turned around and started looking. It did not stop there, mean comments were being shouted such as "Daddys Porsche", "You do not belong here you spoiled ****************ing brat", "Boxster such a girls car anyway" and it kept going.

I called my friend to come out and told him there is no way I park or stay here because if I do, I will either end up in a fight or have my car keyed or damaged. The sad thing the friend of mine is a brother of this fraternity and the main guy that threw most of the comments was a brother of his too. Do not get me wrong my friend is cool and he almost ended up having a fight with that guy after. He told me thats why he hates this frat, and they have 5-6 brothers that do whatever they want and disrespect other people. Thats why they dont get the girls either. My other friends in the other car were getting mad to the point they would start a fight too. I told them not to do so and then we all took off and left. Sad part is some of my friends might wanted to stay but they did not because of the incident.

I wont go further, but while I recognize I am a unique case (driving a Porsche at 21) I find it completely ridiculous people acting like that. Jealousy, yes true but it is not like I try to promote my car everyday of my life and rub it in their face. I was just going to park and then go inside and have a good time...

Thoughts?

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 05-06-2006 at 08:31 AM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #2

I was afraid this was going to end in your car being keyed. Even if your psyche was. You were right to leave and lucky to have friends who stood with you on principle.

Stupidity and jealousy are everywhere, unfortunately, not just at fraternities or colleges. So no sage advice from me.

But I'm betting the idiot called it a Porsh.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter

But I'm betting the idiot called it a Porsh.
Haha yes he did call it a Porsh.

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 05-06-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #4

Whoa. You're only 2 years behind me really. I'm 23, just bought my 2002 Boxster S after I got my first job. I graduated in Computer Science last year too! Crazy...

Now I haven't had any experience like that yet, but though I do seem to be passed alot more on the highway, even when I'm driving 85. That never happened when I drove my old Honda Prelude. Mostly what happens now is I get 19 year-olds in crappy old Civics with a cheap exhaust system wanting to race me in city traffic. Yeah, almost 8 years without an accident or a ticket didn't happen with me racing stupid punks who want to say "Dude, I totally beat this Porsche today!"

I don't know how bad the heckling would have been had I had the Boxster in school , but I know that the some of the frats were serious a**holes. Hell I had a few comments directed at me for simply driving a nice car (yeah, they heckled me in the Prelude). That's why I never joined a frat or went to their parties. Most of them were hypocrits anyway as 90% of the greek population drove either a BMW, Mercedes, or a Lexus (I think one guy even had a Land Rover).

I think one of the darker aspects of driving a Porsche (or any type of car that many people consider "exotic") is the negative reaction you get from certain people. Many times it's simply jealousy and you get dirty look, but sometimes you get someone that is so angry with their own life that seeing someone else that seems to have it together just sets them off. Also people tend to make assumptions (usually wrong ones) because they are ignorant of the facts and have preconcieved notions. Being young and the driver of a car that most people label as expensive and exclusive just compounds this problem.

For example, I highly doubt any of those guys who shouted at you had ever taken the time to look at how much Boxster's actually cost, or had even ever driven one. If they had, they would have found out that you could get a Boxster that's only a few years old for the same price as their brand new BMW 330i's, and that "girl's car" could leave them in the dust without even breaking a sweat.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #5

wow..you stood up for it, thats good. i know how ya feel..i drive a 2000 boxster and im uhhhh 16...I get decent grades too, and am in all honors classes(im not a geek by any stretch of the imagination) lets just say it stands out REAL nice in my public school parking lot! hahaha, you just cant get upset over the comments...and drounce them in thier civics on the street..
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dont respond to those comments,it will bring you to their level. Simply make sure you are in their site of view,drop the top and leave. Thats how I deal with the a**wholes who make comments about me being 18 and driving a Boxster.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #7

Hi,

For a thread which seems to be condemning people for prejudging someone for owning a Sports Car, there seems a bit of prejudice against those who may belong to a Fraternity.

If I read this correctly, there were 3 comments the lister didn't like, and "5-6 brothers that do whatever they like" from a crowd of 70-80 people. Sounds like a better response than the Law of Averages would give you in almost any situation with that many people.

So far as driving a Boxster to any party where there would be 70-80 young people with alcohol, I would think that might not be the wisest decision in any circumstance period, for any number of reasons, not just heckling from a few.

I'm sorry it happened to you, but you may be making more of it than is warranted. I was a member of a Fraternity in College and we would probably have heckled a guy driving a Boxster too, but not from jealousy, but because compared to the Cars which normally sat in our Parking Lot, a Boxster was too Low-Rent...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #8

I think it is fair to say that most Frat Boys have worked hard to earn their reputations.

I call them, as I see them!

:dance:

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I'm sorry it happened to you, but you may be making more of it than is warranted. I was a member of a Fraternity in College and we would probably have heckled a guy driving a Boxster too, but not from jealousy, but because compared to the Cars which normally sat in our Parking Lot, a Boxster was too Low-Rent...

With that last paragraph, you completely justified most people's prejudice against immature, spoiled frat boys. Did you bother to re-read that before you hit "Submit Reply"?

Honestly Jim, sometimes it seems that if you were outside and it rained, you'd drown.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
So far as driving a Boxster to any party where there would be 70-80 young people with alcohol, I would think that might not be the wisest decision in any circumstance period, for any number of reasons, not just heckling from a few.
Certainly I dont promote the behaviour, if you read my post again it says that I almost never take my car to any of these frat parties. It happened once because of restrictions.

I do not have to adapt to the world just because 5-6 people are jealous. You make it sound like it was my fault.

"I do not like your car MNBoxster so if you show up anywhere near North Carolina you are going to get it from me." Does this message stop you from bringing your car here? No it does not, why 5-6 people need to make me stop?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #11

just a thought - i don't think anyone wants pissing matches on a forum like this - maybe if we were all driving "bangin" nissan sentra's or supercharged saturns! but, something that i think is inherent in the heritage of porsche, is a level of prestige and comradery.
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
With that last paragraph, you completely justified most people's prejudice against immature, spoiled frat boys. Did you bother to re-read that before you hit "Submit Reply"?

Honestly Jim, sometimes it seems that if you were outside and it rained, you'd drown.
Ahem...

Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
Certainly I dont promote the behaviour, if you read my post again it says that I almost never take my car to any of these frat parties. It happened once because of restrictions.

I do not have to adapt to the world just because 5-6 people are jealous. You make it sound like it was my fault.

"I do not like your car MNBoxster so if you show up anywhere near North Carolina you are going to get it from me." Does this message stop you from bringing your car here? No it does not, why 5-6 people need to make me stop?
Hi,

You're absolutely correct, you do not have to adapt to other people - no question.

But, then you may have to pay the consequences of your choice which may mean heckling, or worse, keying or vandalism. No I don't condone this behaviour, but Grow Up, this is the world we live in - Bend or Break... that's the way it is - unfortunately.

In the broad spectrum of things, you getting heckled, feeling threatened and presupposing any number of other bad things is just not something I can get worked up about just because you drove your Porsche to a party. Fact is, nothing happened - I'm glad for that if this helps.

Excuse me if I save my sympathies for one of those and their families, who learned today that they have Cancer, these people have something to go on about...

Old 05-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #14

All this talk about driving a Boxster to a frat party as if it were all that special kind of confuses me.

Boxsters have been out for ages now and it's not as if they're unaffordable by younger people nowadays. I'd expect to see more of them around campuses and such. What's the big deal? It's not like you're rolling up in a Ferrari.

If you take away the exclusivity of a Porsche and thus take away the envy, all you have left are the people that are going to taunt you for driving a girl's porsche or for not having a 911, etc. If I were still in college and would worry about what other people thought of "my ride", a 986 wouldn't be high on my list of cars that I'd want since no one in my age range would understand the purchase.

If you enjoy the Boxster for what it is to YOU, ignore the morons and just drive.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 AM   #15

Do what I did. Go back and show up with a bat then ask them whats up. Violence is ALWAYS the answer to stupid **************** like that.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Do what I did. Go back and show up with a bat then ask them whats up. Violence is ALWAYS the answer to stupid **************** like that.
Lets stick to talking cars here. Baseball is for another forum.

Go Yankees!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #17

I also was in a fraternity in college.....and if someone would have driven up in a Boxster I think the general concensus would have been that that was the guy to ask to buy more beer!
stock as a rock
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #18

This wasn't the party at the Duke Lacrosse team house was it?

Looks like you are learning to enjoy the finer things in life. This weekend I passed up a very wild party in NYC to take the Boxster out with a very nice girl to a very nice eatery.
See I'm learning mom!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim

Now thats funny!
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #20

be the envy of your friends.

The have and have nots..
I had similar experiences but I have learn to avoid them. I owned my first Porsche(Boxster) at 26 . Now at 35 I have a couple of Porsches.
Listen, you will face many situation like this in life with a Porsche. Just plan ahead and use your common sense. e.g. Don't park you car in the Bronx or don't let your girlfriend drive your car. etc, etc.

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote