Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #21

I think Boxsters will eventually gain value simply from the fact that they're currently priced in the Dodge Neon range and therefore attract a crowd that's going to ruin many of them.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
I think Boxsters will eventually gain value simply from the fact that they're currently priced in the Dodge Neon range and therefore attract a crowd that's going to ruin many of them.
I think they'll attract people due to the price, but not the crowd you're referring to.
In the decade plus of driving this car I've been approached by all kinds of people asking questions, simply making comments all unanimously positive. One thing I noticed repeatedly is that many people who were currently driving "Dodge Neon range" cars when they approached were all very hesitant or absolutely terrified about the costs of running a Porsche, or any high end German car for that matter. The only people who did not run away when I told them what it costs to maintain, were guys who were in pretty nice cars already but didn't know much about Porsche. These tended to be guys in their late 30's to mid 50's, dressed well, maybe wearing a nice watch and just gave you the impression that they were established in their careers. And even since prices have fallen to below $10 for the first Boxsters, I've not seen ANY young people in these cars. All of the Google searching that comes up with IMS probably has a role in getting young people or people on limited budgets turned off to these cars. But I agree, a very high % of Boxsters will be in the scrap heap simply because defferred maintenance can quickly outrun the cost of buying the car in the first place. It's really a DIY'ers car, and one with space, time, tools and $$$ to install the overpriced parts... a small slice of the public.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-25-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #23

I hope you're right about the owners, but there sure are some awful customs happening. Fender flares? Big wings?
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
... I've not seen ANY young people in these cars.
This is an interesting point. To my sensibilities, I would expect younger people to be drawn to an affordable sports car like the 986 Boxster.

But I think that the threat of high repair prices drives off almost anyone on a budget - they take one look at $120 vs $39 for an oil change and walk away from the Boxster, never to return.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This is an interesting point. To my sensibilities, I would expect younger people to be drawn to an affordable sports car like the 986 Boxster.

But I think that the threat of high repair prices drives off almost anyone on a budget - they take one look at $120 vs $39 for an oil change and walk away from the Boxster, never to return.
They all drive Subaru and save trees and animals with their purchase.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:

I'm younger (people tell me this, I don't feel that way) at 27, had my box for 2 years now. However Porsches have always been my dream car. The boxster was my dream car from a young age followed closely by the 2000 Carrera 4 when it came out.

So despite the high maintenance costs I'm just too infatuated with Porsches to own anything else, especially now that I've owned one. I love the look, the engineering behind them, everything. As such, I could never desecrate one like it was a Honda del sol. Don't get that and never will.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #27

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
a guy local to me found a rusty 356 like that bought it for 3,000. He put it on eBay expecting to maybe get 5 -6 for it the bidding went up to 36,000
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:

They'd all rather have more horsepower instead of a good handling car.

And the prestige argument doesn't work on a testosterone raged teenager that demands a truck or something manly.

That leaves little interest in the boxster for young people, those that would get a boxster tend to drive mx5s instead as they still are cheaper.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #29
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
All this can be yours for only $49,500! Don't worry, that will buff out!

The sad truth is that it will probably sell within 10% of the asking price. Insane.

1957 Porsche 356a Sunroof Coupe For Sale

I like the look of this Ghia better and it's only $900.
56 karman ghia
Maybe I should pick it up, slap a few vintage Porsche badges on it and sell it on eBay.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #30

Garage
A 1973 911 RS 2.7 Touring went for just under a million this week in NY, so the high end values are still holding pretty well. Then again, it is bonus season on Wall Street...someone paid $1.6 million for Janis Joplin's repainted 356.

1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Touring | New York - Driven By Disruption 2015 | RM Sotheby's

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #31

These seem kind of too good to be true

1959 Porsche 356 1600 - $58500

Was the 1600 Craigslist Ad pinched from here?

1957 Porsche 356 Speedster - $45000

Maybe the Speedster is a replica kit? The ad doesn't say so, but it also doesn't say it isn't and this sounds like a kit to me-
"Beautiful, one-owner high quality 1957 Porsche The chrome and trim are all immaculate as well. The canvas top, tonneau and boot cover fit perfectly with all of the snaps and fasteners accurately placed on both car and canvas making"

Last edited by PaulE; 12-13-2015 at 11:41 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote