Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
headers and exhaust worth it?

hey guys, would these headers and exhaust give me a noticeable gain in performance? price is great... i'm used to paying $600 for headers... this seem like a screaming deal or am i missing something?

thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SXVDF96?colid=UOPG45VNYQNS&coliid=I3OGJI1AB19YDC&ref_=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Amazon.com: 97-04 Porsche Boxster 986 2.5L 2.7L Catback Muffler Exhaust Cat-back 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04: Automotive

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Fintro11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 893
you will also want the secondary cat delete pipes, I have them on mine and love it great gurgle on down shifts
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
did you notice a performance gain? there so stinken cheap i don't see why i shouldn't get them lol

did you install them yourself? was it hard.

thank you for the reply
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 812
I have headers only, it gave me a bit more torque, but a nicer sound ! for the price, I said why not !

The install is not hard... unless you break a bolt ! Fortunately I did not, but I still took me 8hours on ramps.

I think I wrote something about the install here.... EDIT: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/55540-how-ebay-headers.html
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
I have headers only, it gave me a bit more torque, but a nicer sound ! for the price, I said why not !

The install is not hard... unless you break a bolt ! Fortunately I did not, but I still took me 8hours on ramps.

I think I wrote something about the install here, I'll PM you if I can find it.
awesome!!!! i'm rodering them lol is there anything else you guys would suggest for the 2.5 motor? from what i've read theres not to many mods you can do but ... i'm new to it so i'm in the thrill phase and want to spend some money i'm ordering new brakes/rotors, ordered new suspension, was going to look into new bushings for the control arms etc. the headers/exhaust and maybe a different frt and rear bumper.

is there anything else i can do to the motor as far as bolt on mods?

i've been giving friends and family rides in the car all weekend lol everyone loves it. such a fun little car to drive. i've already got my eye on another one.. 2006 cayman for $17k
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Fintro11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 893
you can do the intake look at the DIY section and de snorkel and under drive pully
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 812
A new engine mount if you still have the original one and a flush of all the fluids would also be a good idea
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
you can do the intake look at the DIY section and de snorkel and under drive pully
Thanks ill check it out.
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
A new engine mount if you still have the original one and a flush of all the fluids would also be a good idea
I was thinking id probably do that as well. The car just turned 100k This weekend.
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Take a look at this thread concerning exhaust. Top Speed also gives a discount for forum members, Che is great guy to deal with.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41683-top-speeds-cat-back-system-installation.html
Top Speed Auto Accessories, Inc.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,611
The TopSpeed cat back muffler will slightly increase horsepower at the upper RPM's. Here is a link that includes my dyno test data.

Bottom line: Net increase: +7hp @ 6150rpm. Peak +2 hp. All of the gains come above 5800 rpm. No appreciable difference in hp up to 5800.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/46070-spec-boxster-build-4.html
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Take a look at this thread concerning exhaust. Top Speed also gives a discount for forum members, Che is great guy to deal with.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41683-top-speeds-cat-back-system-installation.html
Top Speed Auto Accessories, Inc.
Thanks for the link. Price isnt bad.
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The TopSpeed cat back muffler will slightly increase horsepower at the upper RPM's. Here is a link that includes my dyno test data.

Bottom line: Net increase: +7hp @ 6150rpm. Peak +2 hp. All of the gains come above 5800 rpm. No appreciable difference in hp up to 5800.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/46070-spec-boxster-build-4.html
I wish there was more that could be done to these motors i want to add 70hp not 7 lol i guess i should have went with the S
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #14
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,356
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
I wish there was more that could be done to these motors i want to add 70hp not 7 lol i guess i should have went with the S
Put a 3.4 996 motor in the car.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Put a 3.4 996 motor in the car.
I called around for a 3.4 and i can get a used boxster s for the price they want for that motor i was told $11k for one with almost 100k miles on it you can get an S for about $13k-$15k. Im kinda torn... Play with this one or go get a used cayman. I talked to the dealership by me(two hours away lol) and they have some nice ones. I have an amazon wish list filled with tons of stuff for this boxster but i cant help but think i should maybe wait and see if i want to upgrade and not waist the money.
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Turn your 98 into a Spec track boxster and go get the cayman or a Boxster s. Or keep the box for top down fun and make the cayman your track car.

There was a really good write up with pics by a guy who put a supercharger in his 2.5. That's another possibility.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: michigan
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Turn your 98 into a Spec track boxster and go get the cayman or a Boxster s. Or keep the box for top down fun and make the cayman your track car.

There was a really good write up with pics by a guy who put a supercharger in his 2.5. That's another possibility.
Whats a spec track? Sorry i dont race and still reading like a nerd on porsches lol

Supercharger would be in my budget ill look for the article.

Thanks
compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:44 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
Whats a spec track? Sorry i dont race and still reading like a nerd on porsches lol

Supercharger would be in my budget ill look for the article.

Thanks
http://www.gsrautosport.com/boxsterspec.html
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
I called around for a 3.4 and i can get a used boxster s for the price they want for that motor i was told $11k for one with almost 100k miles on it :
Here is a 3.4 motor with 83K miles for $7500. Still not cheap but affordable and does have 300hp!

07 Boxster s rwd Porsche 987 Complete Engine 3 4 Motor M97 21 M97 21 83 845 | eBay
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Turn your 98 into a Spec track boxster...
This will cost at least $15K just for the minimum equipment to get onto the track. More than double that if you want a really nice car that is competitive.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/46070-spec-boxster-build.html

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page