Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #1

I'm a "newbie"... first-time Porsche owner. I actually bought a pre-owned Boxster for my wife's retirement gift - the only car she has shown any interest in... Anyway, I'm a car guy, but I broke all the rules on this one. Got the car home and found everything I needed (i.e., manuals, tool kit, wheel lock socket, COA, extra keys, etc.) were missing. It was owned by Porsche Leasing, Ltd (but they're no help). Flew in, drove home ~600 miles and found a nasty oil leak while fueling up about 1/2 home. On my lift, it appears to be the RMS (yikes!)... I can fix that, but do you guys/gals have any wisdom on obtaining everything else I might need short of dropping several hundreds of dollars at the dealer? Thanks. P.S..... we both love the car.... :ah:

rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #2

Yeah, you sure did make a boo boo by buying that car without a PPI and asking for all the books, keys and toolkit!

Books - Ebay has them for sale; Probably the ones from your very car!

Toolkit - Ebay once again, but far more rare. Sunset in Oregon sells them cheaper than anyone.

Keys: My friend, bend over. You should prepare yourself for a rape without a kiss. Keys are expensive and the used keys on Ebay are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WORTHLESS unless they have the hang-tag with the barcode on it for programming. Buy a key head and key blank from Sunset and take it to your local dealer for programming to your car.

Hey, check your car for a coolant tank leak. Take up the carpet and wood base in your rear trunk and look for fluid. These are notorious for leaking. Window regulators go out a lot too...ask the wife to sit in the car with the top up and operate the windows up and down a few times while you stand outside and watch the top of the window as it approaches the top. It should seat with the rubber frame at the top at the same time and not be crooked. It should also drop a 1/4 of an inch when the door is opened and then rise the same a second after closing the door.

There's other stuff you should inspect, but most are self-revealing.

Hey, on the RMS, it's just some forum gossip I heard, but you may want to research using a RMS from a Cayenne as they don't leak as much in the future.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #3

Thanks Randall - about what I expected. So far so good on everything else (windows, tank, etc.) - if I could get the wheels off, I can obtain new wheel locks w/ a key. I'm fabricating a tool so I should have the wheels off shortly. Sadly, the independent dealer in Jacksonville, FL wouldn't help and their warranty is worthless re seals/leaks; Porsche Leasing, Ltd (original owner) was rude and of absolutely no help. Like I said, I'm a car guy - been around cars my whole life but this is my first experience w/ exotic-upscale imports - I've never encountered such poor customer service and rudeness - I would have thought these folks would have been more helpful. Anyway, I'm thankful for those of you who are willing to help this dumb "newbie." With your help, I'll get through it and end up w/ a good car. BTW, I did get a very reasonable deal on a car that's very well equipped which eases the pain a bit. Hopefully, someone can "go to school" on my mistakes and save themselves some heartache. I'll keep ya posted...
Old 05-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #4

Sorry about your initial troubles but you seem to have a great attitude inspite of the car problems and customer service issues. I hope you get the car in apple-pie order quickly and enjoy! We sure like our Boxster and this is our first Porsche too!

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Welcome to the family!
BeechSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #5

Being a car guy...I think you'll find the Boxster to be one of the easiest cars to work on! It can occasionally be tight...but EVERYTHING is pretty accessable and straightforward. Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #6

post a pic for us....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #7

Will do - probably be tomorrow before I can get back to you guys and gals... thx for now
Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsnhawgs
Will do - probably be tomorrow before I can get back to you guys and gals... thx for now

Hey. Congrats on the Boxster, I am a long time Porsche owner but Boxster newbie as well.
Funny, my car was a Porsche lease car as well, missing a the jack also and only one key. dealer replaced the jack no problem but I got hosed on the key.

Best of luck with it!
Check out Rennlist.com for some other good Porsche info

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsnhawgs
manuals, tool kit, wheel lock socket, COA, extra keys
Sorry for your misfortune but luckily you're a car guy. You can get an pdf version of the owners manual from www.renntech.org for MY2000 and MY2003 986 and MY2005 and MY2006 987 but I think you have to be a contributing member. Lots of good information there at that site for the do-it-yourselfer, too.

www.oklahomaforeign.com has the toolkit for a reasonable $80.00 but I believe you can create your own tool kit just as well.

Sounds like you have the wheel lock socket issue under control but if it doesn't work out, I recommend you bring your car to the dealer so that he can match the correct one from his master collection. All of the lock sockets are pretty similar so it helps to fit check it.

Unfortunately, there's no really cheap solution for extra keys.

Good luck!
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #10

Umm. Best advice? Hope it's only a few hundred. That would be a miracle at the stealership....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #11

Sorry to hear you got short changed. If things go right, you will love your new Box. I’m not clear on which year Box you bought. If it is an 04 model and older, you may want to consider picking up a Boxster Service Manual, by Bentley Publishing. Performance Products sells them for $99 and change ( on line at ************************************************************). I am not sure if you can get them cheaper elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
Boxster Service Manual, by Bentley Publishing. Performance Products sells them for $99 and change ( on line at ************************************************************). I am not sure if you can get them cheaper elsewhere. Good luck.
Ooh, good call. Bentley manual at Amazon.com: $62.97 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #13

I know here in Canada when you buy a car from a dealer, if it has particular problems (oil leaks and emissions problems) they are covered for 30 days from the date of purchase even if there is no warranty. Not sure how it is for you but check.

Regardless sounds like you can handle it really. The cool thing about the boxster is that it's like a FWD car with the engine in the back. So you have only two half shafts to pull out and the trans. There's no drive shaft or rear end technically like a Front engine RWD car.

There are a few different rear main seals most guys recommend I think the Cayenne is the one everybody is using now (yes the SUV) which apparently is like a wet noodle and not that easy to install I think they have an instillation tool, check that out.

Also when they leak bad have a peak at the clutch. If it has oil on the disc friction surface I'm sure you know what you have to do there. If it's tiptronic you can just wipe eveyrthing down and slap it together like any other auto.

Sorry to hear about your luck. The RMS is the main problem with these cars and the Porsche Boxer engine design, other then that it's quite problem free other than regular manintance and a few other little things that are easy to fix.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #14

OK guys and gals: I've attempted to upload 3 pics - I hope it works. Anyway, there have been some great suggestions so far - I've already obtained a set of owners manuals in their leather case; bought a Bentley Svc Manual (Amazon had the best deal); also picked up some Plexus - made a big diff in the rear plastic window. BTW, this car is an 02 Base Boxster - nicely equipped w/ only 27K miles. PCNA will supply the COA for a mere $95...probably going to spring for it so I'll know exactly what we've got. Not worried about the tool kit - I can put something together. Re the RMS, it seems to only leak at interstate speeds/higher rpms - dipstick showing slightly above full even now - I'm wondering if it may have been overfilled... another ?: how does the crankcase evacuate pressure? is crankcase overpressure a typical problem that may contribute to seal blowby? As always, thanks for your help.

Last edited by rodsnhawgs; 05-03-2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: trying to add pics
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #15

what?! an auto-tragic transmission! you didn't get the memo?

seriously, nice car - very clean looking in white!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #16

You new BOX looks great... I too had some problems upon taking delivery but they soon washed away and were very happy with the car. Welcome to the club!

p.s. can't believe you went TIPTRONIC on us... JJ
ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #17

Hi,

Nice Car. Some people are both vocal and ignorant where the Tip S is concerned. Actually, it's a very nice package with the Tip S, probably more so than any other platform Porsche offers the Tip in.

I am pleasantly surprised at the Tip in mine and believe it's maybe better than the manual. I own 5 other cars w/ Manuals and can't imagine a Manumatic in any of them, but for the Boxster it's great, not a single regret about having it. Enjoy your new Car - let the Naysayers choose to row if they so desire...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-04-2006 at 05:22 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #18

Re the Tiptronic...remember this car is for my wife...she wanted the auto. Actually, in the manual mode, the tip works pretty well - no complaint thus far.
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
Old 05-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #19

Spray painted those ugly black color bumper.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #20

If you haven't done this yet, I would get a PPI now, even though you have purchased the car. This will give you a baseline, help you understand what you are dealing with.

Also, pick up all the warranty work that was done on the car from your Porsche dealership.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote