Thread: newbie
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
986Jim

I know here in Canada when you buy a car from a dealer, if it has particular problems (oil leaks and emissions problems) they are covered for 30 days from the date of purchase even if there is no warranty. Not sure how it is for you but check.

Regardless sounds like you can handle it really. The cool thing about the boxster is that it's like a FWD car with the engine in the back. So you have only two half shafts to pull out and the trans. There's no drive shaft or rear end technically like a Front engine RWD car.

There are a few different rear main seals most guys recommend I think the Cayenne is the one everybody is using now (yes the SUV) which apparently is like a wet noodle and not that easy to install I think they have an instillation tool, check that out.

Also when they leak bad have a peak at the clutch. If it has oil on the disc friction surface I'm sure you know what you have to do there. If it's tiptronic you can just wipe eveyrthing down and slap it together like any other auto.

Sorry to hear about your luck. The RMS is the main problem with these cars and the Porsche Boxer engine design, other then that it's quite problem free other than regular manintance and a few other little things that are easy to fix.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote