986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxster Died (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59212)

jeeper31 10-20-2015 05:37 AM

Boxster Died

On way to work this morning and car just stalled. Was able to coast into a parking lot. Tried to start it up. All that happens is engine cranks but doesn't turn over. Engine sounds fine when it cranks.
Any ideas? I am thinking fuel pump.

Thanks

Dan

Luv2Box 10-20-2015 06:18 AM

Same thing happened to my '99 and it was the fuel pump. Be sure to change the fuel filter, if it is the pump, as the pump sometimes pukes out metal particles, when it goes, that are lodged in the filter.

Chuck W. 10-20-2015 06:31 AM

I just Googled your issue and came up with three possibilities;

I would start with the fuel pump relay, then the fuel pump and lastly the crankshaft position sensor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jeeper31 10-20-2015 06:36 AM

Great. Thanks. Will look into those.

How hard is the pump and filter to change. I am new to working on boxsters.

DWBOX2000 10-20-2015 06:36 AM

I was reading something the other day and it mentioned a good idea to change every couple years. The relay. I might grab one just to have.
Good luck.

Retroman1969 10-20-2015 07:07 AM

It was so sudden, that's my first thought too. Pump relay. Could also be the pump, but they usually make a fair amount of noise when they're near death. Did you notice any buzzy humming or low howling noise coming from the tank area recently?

Chuck W. 10-20-2015 07:15 AM

The fuel pump relays go out so often in the 993s that it is common and recommended to keep a spare one in the glove box.

jcslocum 10-20-2015 07:30 AM

The relay can be jumpered to get things going and test. I will try to find a picture for you.

Fuel filter in under that car about there the E-brake handle is. a PIA to do as the belly pan has to come off. and a bunch of stuff has to be loosened.

Fuel pump is in the tank up front...I think.

Jump the relay and see if you hear it. Check all fuses too.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...large/Pic2.jpg

This relay is under the dash.

rick3000 10-20-2015 07:43 AM

I recently had a similar issue, which was the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). They tend to fail when hot, but work when they cool down, and rarely throw a code. If it seems to be heat related it's probably the CPS.

If not, check the fuel pump relay, you can jumper the relay or do the 'click test' (put a finger on the relay and feel if it clicks when you turn over the car). If it's not one of those, pressure test the fuel system. If the pressure is low, then it is probably the fuel pump.

You can do a preliminary fuel pressure test, which is very unreliable, by taking the fuel cap off, and have someone turn over the car and listen for a whistling/sucking sound. If you don't get one, there is no pressure being created. You could also try replacing your gas cap, if the o-ring is bad there could be a pressure issue.

Best of luck! :cheers:

jeeper31 10-20-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroman1969 (Post 470431)
It was so sudden, that's my first thought too. Pump relay. Could also be the pump, but they usually make a fair amount of noise when they're near death. Did you notice any buzzy humming or low howling noise coming from the tank area recently?

Yeah there was not humming or any out of the ordinary sound coming from anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 470439)
I recently had a similar issue, which was the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). They tend to fail when hot, but work when they cool down, and rarely throw a code. If it seems to be heat related it's probably the CPS.

If not, check the fuel pump relay, you can jumper the relay or do the 'click test' (put a finger on the relay and feel if it clicks when you turn over the car). If it's not one of those, pressure test the fuel system. If the pressure is low, then it is probably the fuel pump.

You can do a preliminary fuel pressure test, which is very unreliable, by taking the fuel cap off, and have someone turn over the car and listen for a whistling/sucking sound. If you don't get one, there is no pressure being created. You could also try replacing your gas cap, if the o-ring is bad there could be a pressure issue.

Best of luck! :cheers:

It happened about a mile from my house so I wouldn't think it was a heat issue. It also sat for a while before the flat bed got there and I tried it again when I got it home. Nada.

jeeper31 10-20-2015 04:50 PM

Bought a new fuel pump relay. Car still doesn't start. That didn't works.

I am also pretty sure that I hear the fuel pump whirring she turn the key to the on position.

Timco 10-20-2015 04:56 PM

There's a test port on the fuel rail. You can turn the key on and test for fuel pressure there.

jeeper31 10-20-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 470504)
There's a test port on the fuel rail. You can turn the key on and test for fuel pressure there.

How would I do that?

Timco 10-20-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeper31 (Post 470506)
How would I do that?

Can you take your engine top cover off? I can describe from there.

jeeper31 10-20-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 470507)
Can you take your engine top cover off? I can describe from there.

Yes I can.

Timco 10-20-2015 05:40 PM

There's a silver rail on the passenger side. At the rear of that is a black cap. Take that cap off and it's a Schroeder type valve. Turn the key on but not start car, and put a rag over it and push the valve in gently. It's under significant pressure if the FP is working.

jeeper31 10-20-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 470511)
There's a silver rail on the passenger side. At the rear of that is a black cap. Take that cap off and it's a Schroeder type valve. Turn the key on but not start car, and put a rag over it and push the valve in gently. It's under significant pressure if the FP is working.

Great. Thanks. Will do that tomorrow.

rick3000 10-20-2015 07:09 PM

From my research, the 986 doesn't use a regular Schroeder valve. However, the Actron CP7838 with a 0180-000-1299 adapter will fit.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/17297-testing-fuel-pressure/?p=87886

Gelbster 10-20-2015 07:27 PM

To use a generic fuel pressure tester, you may need an adapter M14x1.25 to M15x1.5
If all you need to do is test for the presence of fuel and test on a COLD engine ,the rag method should be O.K.

Retroman1969 10-20-2015 07:50 PM

Hmmmm... Mass Airflow Sensor? It can cause stall/no start.