Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

speedo and tach not working

Hello everyone.
My speedometer, Tachometer, and all of the lower info gauges are not functioning at all. The temp and fuel gauges are fine. any and all info would be greatly appreciated. 1997 boxster. Also I checked all fuses and have tried to find if a relay is the culprit, but no luck.

Last edited by fahmasan; 10-17-2015 at 01:39 PM.
fahmasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

Is it possible that one of the connectors has come loose? Here's a link to an article that includes instructions on how to remove and reseat the connectors: Porsche Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Under the gauge cluster there are 3 large connectors...white, green and blue. They have poor latching devices that could have been partly undone for years and just popped off. It's not too hard getting in there but if you get stuck I could dig for a while to see if there is anything here you can use. I had to replace my entire dashboard and when reassembling this one of the connectors was a pain in the ass and I had to go back in to reconnect it. I can't say which one...it's been a few years.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

gauges not working

Thanks so much for your reply. I did as you suggested and pulled the cluster (surprisingly easy) checked the connections, and all were tight. I re-checked all fuses to no avail. Is there
some relay that I am missing? Again only tach, speedo, and lower info lights Mileage ect. are not working at all. The needles on the speedo and tach don't even quiver. Thanks again for your input
fahmasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

If you need it I have gauge cluster I'll sell you at a good price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Check every fuse

With an Ohmmeter or continuity lights, pull each one and move on...then make sure the connectors are seated all the way in the Instrument CLuster

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote