Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 AM   #1

Proper Introduction!

So guys you might of seen my other posts. As i am new to this car they are the typical questions you would come up with. Im from Australia and im only 16. Yes you read that right only 16! I am lucky enough to be given this Porsche Boxster S 986 2003. I still need to get her registered and do some work on her (AOS/service/brakes) It has 60,000ks and drives like a dream cant wait to get her on the road. Anyways here she is!

Deren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #2

Garage
First thing first young man, get the steering wheel and dash fixed.... its on the wrong side!! LOL.... Enjoy your new baby....
Old 09-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #3

That's even more yellow than mine!
I wish I had the opportunity to drive something like this at 16. Drive safely!
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #4

You lucky guy, that's a beauty! I had to drive an old Pontiac Phoenix sedan in high school (about 3,700 years ago). Nothing worked, it had a top speed of about 50, and the left front wheel kept falling off.
These cars demand attention to maintenance but it sounds like you're on top of it.
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 AM   #5

Garage
Did the previous owner have an explanation for why the dash is on the wrong side??

Let me go ahead and pass the young guy torch to you. I got my first one when I was 16. I turn 18 next month, it's been an absolute joy.

Be careful for the first 6 months or so though!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
That's even more yellow than mine!
I wish I had the opportunity to drive something like this at 16. Drive safely!
It's speed yellow!
Thanks mate
Old 09-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
You lucky guy, that's a beauty! I had to drive an old Pontiac Phoenix sedan in high school (about 3,700 years ago). Nothing worked, it had a top speed of about 50, and the left front wheel kept falling off.
These cars demand attention to maintenance but it sounds like you're on top of it.
Congrats and enjoy!
As soon as I found out I was getting it I did my re search!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Did the previous owner have an explanation for why the dash is on the wrong side??

Let me go ahead and pass the young guy torch to you. I got my first one when I was 16. I turn 18 next month, it's been an absolute joy.

Be careful for the first 6 months or so though!
Haha thanks man
Yea I will try
Any 'tips and tricks' you can suggest ?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Thanks everyone
I'm so grateful to be driving this beautiful machine.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

Is the rear spoiler motor not functioning?

Looks great otherwise!

Couple of tips for you:

Don't overfill the motor with oil. It causes all kinds of repairs and can damage your motor in far more expensive ways than overfilling, say, a Toyota.

Don't leave the top down when you're not in or very near the car. Some jealous person spit out their chewing gum in my car once and another time they threw an empty soda can in the driver's seat. It's also a good idea to raise the top whenever you're not in the car because if it rains and water accumulates under the driver's seat, the computer found there will cost you a lot to replace. Additionally, the sun is brutal on the interior bits.

I do not rev the motor past 4k rpms until it's fully warmed up. Then, I take the motor to near redline at least a couple of times each time I drive the car. Although high revs do shorten the life of the motor, it's said to help with lubrication and preventing the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing) from cratering on you.

Downshifting without rev-matching can cost you a lot more than a cheap set of brake pads. Consider just braking instead of downshifting.

Other than that, drive it like you stole it, but be careful! You need to live to be 26 and 36, and 46...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Is the rear spoiler motor not functioning?

Looks great otherwise!

Couple of tips for you:

Don't overfill the motor with oil. It causes all kinds of repairs and can damage your motor in far more expensive ways than overfilling, say, a Toyota.

Don't leave the top down when you're not in or very near the car. Some jealous person spit out their chewing gum in my car once and another time they threw an empty soda can in the driver's seat. It's also a good idea to raise the top whenever you're not in the car because if it rains and water accumulates under the driver's seat, the computer found there will cost you a lot to replace. Additionally, the sun is brutal on the interior bits.

I do not rev the motor past 4k rpms until it's fully warmed up. Then, I take the motor to near redline at least a couple of times each time I drive the car. Although high revs do shorten the life of the motor, it's said to help with lubrication and preventing the dreaded intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing) from cratering on you.

Downshifting without rev-matching can cost you a lot more than a cheap set of brake pads. Consider just braking instead of downshifting.

Other than that, drive it like you stole it, but be careful! You need to live to be 26 and 36, and 46...

I've already overfilled the oil due to a family member thinking his a mechanic. Which caused my AOS to fail. Which I have to take care of
I'll definitely keep the roof up or down scenarios in the back of my head haha.
I'm hoping I don't have an IMS issue when my mechanic does the oil change I will be looking at the oil for some metal bits for peace of mind.
I do drive it like I stole it so fun, feels so planted
Just enough power
Also the rear spoiler does work I just put it up every time I get in. I think it looks better but that's just me
Old 09-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

Welcome! That's a nice clean looking car. Take care of it and enjoy it!
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Find a car control pr performance driving school and take the class. You need to learn about the capabilities of the car and gain some skills.

If there is a Porsche club in your area, get hooked up with them

At 16, even a lowly Boxster is a lot of car to handle
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Welcome and congrats!

I don't think 'drive it like you stole it' is good advice for a young man. Jake's advice of take it easy for 6 mo is much better. Boxsters can get away from you very quickly (wet or frosty roads, etc), so work you way up to the edge very slowly. Prove that you're worthy of this great machine by respecting it while you get to know it. Sorry to sound like a grumpy old adult, but you'll be thankful somewhere down the line if you follow Jake's advice. (They say experience is when you run out of dumb things to do.)

And on a lighter note... How do you get the reflection to appear as a Volvo? Cloaking device?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #15

How come the two young guys on the board (you and Big Jake) both have better looking S cars than I do?

Listen to Jake about taking it easy - he's a smart guy.

I drove an old Volkswagen when I was your age.

Get off my lawn!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Welcome and congrats!

I don't think 'drive it like you stole it' is good advice for a young man. Jake's advice of take it easy for 6 mo is much better. Boxsters can get away from you very quickly (wet or frosty roads, etc), so work you way up to the edge very slowly. Prove that you're worthy of this great machine by respecting it while you get to know it. Sorry to sound like a grumpy old adult, but you'll be thankful somewhere down the line if you follow Jake's advice. (They say experience is when you run out of dumb things to do.)

And on a lighter note... How do you get the reflection to appear as a Volvo? Cloaking device?
I will try taking it easy I know my limits and won't push them. I'll run out of talent
It's this option on the car you can select in Australia. The cloaking option
Old 09-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deren View Post
I will try taking it easy I know my limits and won't push them. I'll run out of talent
It's this option on the car you can select in Australia. The cloaking option
I like you already. Welcome to the club!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
On the slippery slope

Garage
Don't take this the wrong way, but you are just a kid!. You may think you know your limits, but you probably don't. Assuming you cant get your license until you are 16, you have been driving for less than a year. There is a lot you need to learn and that only comes from experience.

Jake is a really good example of a young person with a powerful car. He seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders, seek out and listen to his advise. You probably don't want to hear it from us old farts. I know, I have a 17 y/o son
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #19

Garage
All I can tell you is that I had way more close call in my first few months of owners ship then I have in the past year and a half.

Now I'll still stall here or there, even forgot to put the parking brake down leaving the garage earlier this week (thankfully there is a light for that!)

Basically just we all make mistakes for sure including the older members here. But you are WAY more prone to them when first starting to drive.

(Man to man, don't keep the spoiler up around other guys your age, they'll call you a "tool," let it do its job at 75 plus and keep it down otherwise unless you're demonstrating or cleaning.)

Have fun! I wish my first Boxster was Yellow! Feel free to pm me anytime you want.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

Garage
Enjoy your ride YOUNG brother. I'm happy for your opportunity. Don't blow it.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote