Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Leave it alone!

Who else is kinda a purist?

Every time I want to go LED or deamber I just can't. I think they got it right for the era, style, moment and so on. Came with aluminum painted calipers but I went body color which was close.

Wish I had my 550 rims still. Someday.

Show me your baby!

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Nice looking car Tim

Be careful with purist talk, next thing you know you will be ragging about how the old air-cooled are the only true Porsche cars
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

What happened...

....to the OEM wheels?
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Every now and then I reconnect with that car. I had a really good alignment done and as the guy drove off with it I realized holy **************** that's a sweet designed Porsche. I've never seen my car being driven by someone else before!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....to the OEM wheels?
That's how I bought it. No records. No history. But solid. Took that risk and won the lottery. Now I know better. It had just been traded in 2 hours previous.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

To each his own....
having 4 boys between 18 and 25, I've been introduced to lots of aftermarket stuff....some I like, most I dislike.
LED lighting is one I like, except I'm not a fan of the LED tail lights.

I replaced the interior, frunk and trunk lighting with LED and foud the light to be so much brighter, whiter and useable that I've done the same on all my other cars.

I replaced the fog, parking lights and side markers with LED (and deambered). The White light of the LEDs matches the litronics much better.

My car came with the red/white tail lights, so deambering the side markers eliminated the only orange on the car.

Same goes for replacing the top with one with a glass rear window. It was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

...or repacing the radio with a BT version....

On the other hand, my motor and exhaust remain stock...That counts, right?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Beautiful car, it looks brand new! I'm the same way as far as leaving certain things stock.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

I believe in leaving the Boxster as period correct as possible. There are many mods that can be done that are subtle enough that they fit well. Others, not so much.

Tim, you have to find a set of the OEM SE wheels for that car!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I believe in leaving the Boxster as period correct as possible. There are many mods that can be done that are subtle enough that they fit well. Others, not so much.

Tim, you have to find a set of the OEM SE wheels for that car!
You posted a link once even! I was deep into a job and just couldn't swing it. There's some nice Cayman S wheels FS here in town for $1k with nice tread. If 18" I'll be very tempted.

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
Old 08-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
You posted a link once even! I was deep into a job and just couldn't swing it. There's some nice Cayman S wheels FS here in town for $1k with nice tread. If 18" I'll be very tempted.

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
Let us know if you buy them and sell your current wheels, I might be interested
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #11

Count me in too.

No de-ambering, no LEDs. (Have to admit to de-snorkling!) Even still have the bumperettes, unpainted...imagine that!
In fact, in conjunction with a recent detailing, just blackened them up a bit:

With me, admittedly, to some extent I leave things alone for lack of time (or, sometimes, energy!). But liking it in its original form
is a big part of it as well. AND...I think the color of my finish is a big part of it too: I happen to like black and orange with seal grey.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Leave it alone, or

Make it your own!
I prefer individuality. If you've seen one stock 986, you've seen them all. Individuality, however...

Everyone has one and they all stink
Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
Let us know if you buy them and sell your current wheels, I might be interested
Looking for 18's. Those were 19's. :ah:

Maybe just eBay 18's Carrera lightweight. Have to learn what offset sizes fit and work.

Turns out my current ones are base '04 wheels. They show them in the brochure.

I'd love to find these same ones in 18.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:

Maybe just eBay 18's Carrera lightweight. Have to learn what offset sizes fit and work.

Bummer.
I was looking for 18" as well but I stuck with 17" eventually... Love your wheels though
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:

Timco; Sure if you can find them in 18". Otherwise I'm going to disagree. I think those wheels are outstanding looking on your car and are unique. I've never seen them in the wild. And this is coming from someone who has the Carrera superlights on their car.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #16

I'm the same way. Actually I feel that way about all cars, new or classic.
At a car show I'm way more attracted to clean original totally stock cars than the crazy customs that someone spent many thousands tramping up. They were carefully designed to look the way they are and to my taste look best that way (ignoring certain missteps like the Aztek, etc).
Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #17

I think if I had a 550 SE, I'd leave it alone. But, I have a base, which was made to please a wider range of people. I'm just one person, so I'm slowly tweaking it to what I would have wanted from the factory. However, I do want to do it in such a way that a non-Porsche enthusiast wouldn't quite be able to tell (for example, using a 997 shifter rather than a ssk).
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #18

Those rims are Beauty!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 AM   #19
Rookie

Garage
Nope. Every car I have ever owned I have modified both mechanically and cosmetically. Ive made it my own and I have always owned something completely unique. I do think it can be over-done but usually things like tires and rims, entertainment system and creature comforts are modifications I always make, at a minimum. In the case of my Box its been a whole laundry list of upgrades; driving a convertible with leather seats was a miserable experience and the first mod was grey sheep skin seat covers, from 17" stock painted turbo twist rims to 19" SSR rims made the car look way more aggressive, de-ambering a grey car with smoked was a no-brainer. Ive always thought the car sat a little too high for my taste and next on the list, and waiting to be installed, is an after-market sport suspension that will include lowering the car an inch. The sound is fine but Im not fond of the way the muffler looks and will likely seek something that hides under the car a little better. The black rubber bumperettes are also hideous, eventually they will be replaced with color-matched. Ill be painting my calipers eventually, still pondering the color. IMO making a car your own is half the fun of owning it.

Last edited by TypeA; 08-03-2015 at 03:56 AM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:56 AM   #20

Well, i think original 550 rims won't fit 100% when it comes to colors, because the 550 Carrera GT silver is a little bit darker and tends to get more into a grey than the artic silver your car has.

But you can go with the Carrera style 18". Maybe you can paint them with polar silver and add some black to the paint to tone down.

I have the 18" Carrera rims with the red S calipers and i still like it. Also like the Techno wheels. Don't like the Turbo 1 and 2 wheels.

At the end of the day i everything is a matter of taste. And tatse can be very different. I would only go with parts that came OEM from Porsche. So if your car would be mine i would replace the rear lights with the red and white ones my car has and also would replace the orange front side markes with clear ones.

Rims. Well i don't think the are ugly. An because they are 17" i think they offer more driving comfort - which is a good thing in my opinion. Maybe i yould paint them in dark grey, or black to get more contrast.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Attached Images

Last edited by Smallblock454; 08-03-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote