Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #41

the proof is at the track where you have to pay to play; armchair bravado is worth what you pay for it.

s2000 is a quick car at the track. wrx sti and mitsu evo are too (tend to be driven by a lot of the instructors up here - drive to the track, drive fast, drive home, no issues once you do a few quick things to address brake cooling). miata with a turbo or LS is no slouch. lots of rx7 and rx8's on the track up here (rules favour the hp/displacement of the rotary engine, and they do handle well - mazda has a strong racing heritage). vettes and mustangs (esp the boss 302 track version that came out a few years ago) tend to represent very well. bmw m1 i(if you can find one) is a good alternative to the m3 or the z series.

people denegrate straightline power, but if you get to the corner a second before me after a long straight it don't matter much how quick i am through that corner. from what i've read the new z28 and vette are actually better corner cars than the boxster (as they should be - 10 to 15 years younger).

the boxster is probably one of the best straight out of the box, but the other options are great cars and can be improved for much less cost than can a porsche. check out the aftermarket support for the subi, the ford or the miata - cheaper and more of it.

ps, at the track it doesn't matter where you park your car when you aren't racing; it could be a mansion, it could be a trailer - fast is fast.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the proof is at the track where you have to pay to play; armchair bravado is worth what you pay for it.

s2000 is a quick car at the track. wrx sti and mitsu evo are too (tend to be driven by a lot of the instructors up here - drive to the track, drive fast, drive home, no issues once you do a few quick things to address brake cooling). miata with a turbo or LS is no slouch. lots of rx7 and rx8's on the track up here (rules favour the hp/displacement of the rotary engine, and they do handle well - mazda has a strong racing heritage). vettes and mustangs (esp the boss 302 track version that came out a few years ago) tend to represent very well. bmw m1 i(if you can find one) is a good alternative to the m3 or the z series.

people denegrate straightline power, but if you get to the corner a second before me after a long straight it don't matter much how quick i am through that corner. from what i've read the new z28 and vette are actually better corner cars than the boxster (as they should be - 10 to 15 years younger).

the boxster is probably one of the best straight out of the box, but the other options are great cars and can be improved for much less cost than can a porsche. check out the aftermarket support for the subi, the ford or the miata - cheaper and more of it.

ps, at the track it doesn't matter where you park your car when you aren't racing; it could be a mansion, it could be a trailer - fast is fast.

Well Put , I get dusted all the time in my Boxster S . I thought my 996 was fast . it gets wiped by lightly tuned WRX's and i think they handle better as well . The older i get speed is less of a concern for me anyway .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #43

The Boxster CAN get easy and quick access to the engine, just need to remove a few things.

nimblemotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
Well Put , I get dusted all the time in my Boxster S . I thought my 996 was fast . it gets wiped by lightly tuned WRX's and i think they handle better as well . The older i get speed is less of a concern for me anyway .
I used to drive a very tuned STI and I know how fast they can be! The better feel of the Boxster is worth the loss of ~200 hp and tq. I logged about 150 miles of really fun, hills and twisty miles this weekend. The STI could have done every turn faster, but I enjoyed the Boxster much more.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #45

I saw a brand new Mustang last night, lowered with some light weight OZ wheels. The car looked like it could handle a slalom well. As for all the trucks that came before it, easily my least favorite handling and braking sports car.
The new Corvette and ZL1 Camaro (that laps quicker than a GT-R) wouldn't be bad alternatives if you appreciate handling and braking. some of the recent Corvettes are a good value as long as you remove the seats and burn them to ashes. But the second generation S2000 with revised suspension and the Miata (94 or newer) can't be beat for relatively hassle free ownership. The mini cooper has surprisingly excellent handling the first time you drive it but reliability is not a strong point, and that was coming from a Mini.Cooper mechanic whose raced all the aforementioned and strongly urged me to stay away If you plan to do anything beyond street driving.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #46

I agree, I had 2 highly ,modified Subarus that were very capable in straight line and turning. The Boxster is much more enjoyable than those cars in my opinion. I enjoy convertibles way more than your average person so I could say I am biased. I think the car handles just fine and has just enough power to have fun but definitely not the fast kid on the block. I have owned a 95 M edition Miata and it was fun but not practical at all. I would buy S2k if I could find one for the right price. I think those are really easy to drive.

Last edited by antny; 05-18-2015 at 07:43 AM.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #47

Why do you need to get to the engine for in the first place?
Are you going to find those elusive 50 HP that the engineers hid somewhere?
When it comes to Porsche, if you want more power, get a faster variant or model.
If you want a more reliable Porsche, that doesn't require rebuilds as a regular part of long-term ownership (or straight up used engine swapping) might want to buy another brand entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
The Boxster CAN get easy and quick access to the engine, just need to remove a few things.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #48

I had a '99 (10AE) Miata and liked it quite a lot. But, it was not nearly as capable as the boxster, and had far less storage space. I also considered the S2k but don't really like the rev-happy engine. The audi tt has handling problems.. The SLK has no storage. And so back to the Boxster.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #49

I have a 1997 Boxster. It is my 23rd Porsche and is a good car. My daily driver for 6 years was a Miata and it was very dependable and handled well. My new daily driver is a Scion FRS. Flat 4 boxer engine and rear wheel drive with Thorsen LSD and 4 wheel independent suspension and great 4 wheel disc brakes. Very neutral handling, 16" center of gravity, only 2700 lbs, and a drag coefficient of .27. I also get 32 mpg's in the city and 38 on the highway. She handles very well and comes with competition style seats from the factory. She only came with 200 hp which is just about even with my '97 Boxster with 201 hp, however any and every kind of aftermarket power increase is available for it. Tons of storage space as the design requirements were that it can carry 4 full size race tires, a jack, and a tool box to go track racing on the weekend. Handling is fantastic and steering is precise. Only $27000 new out the door.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #50

I'm sure the S2000, Z4, SLK, etc, are all great cars. But..

There is something absolutely magical about Porsche that you don't get with other marques. From the scream of the motor, to the incredible but often times uniquely quirky engineering, the phenomenal build quality, the attention to detail. They have an undeniable mystique that makes every drive absolutely enchanting.

Owning a Porsche, to me, is all about the experience, the sensations, the trills, that can't be conveyed by numbers on paper.

Last edited by black_falcon; 05-18-2015 at 03:34 PM.
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #51

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_falcon View Post
I'm sure the S2000, Z4, SLK, etc, are all great cars. But..

There is something absolutely magical about Porsche that you don't get with other marques. From the scream of the motor, to the incredible but often times uniquely quirky engineering, the phenomenal build quality, the attention to detail. They have an undeniable mystique that makes every drive absolutely enchanting.

Owning a Porsche, to me, is all about the experience, the sensations, the trills, that can't be conveyed by numbers on paper.

and the community, the forums along with the local pca chapters. I have met some of the best people through both!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
I have a 1997 Boxster. It is my 23rd Porsche and is a good car. My daily driver for 6 years was a Miata and it was very dependable and handled well. My new daily driver is a Scion FRS. Flat 4 boxer engine and rear wheel drive with Thorsen LSD and 4 wheel independent suspension and great 4 wheel disc brakes. Very neutral handling, 16" center of gravity, only 2700 lbs, and a drag coefficient of .27. I also get 32 mpg's in the city and 38 on the highway. She handles very well and comes with competition style seats from the factory. She only came with 200 hp which is just about even with my '97 Boxster with 201 hp, however any and every kind of aftermarket power increase is available for it. Tons of storage space as the design requirements were that it can carry 4 full size race tires, a jack, and a tool box to go track racing on the weekend. Handling is fantastic and steering is precise. Only $27000 new out the door.
Lovely car, although not at all comparable to the Boxster though. It has a little too much roof....
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #53

Garage
My next car after my 986 3.6 will be a Ferrari 456 M GTA. Going to go for the Grand Tourismo V12, I think it is the last of the Classic Italian cars before they all became jet fighters.

As for a substitute for the boxster, there is little that is as balanced and pure but I have driven a few BMWs and Mercedes that were darned good. I don't think the Z3/Z4 is comparable at all with that huge mass swinging around in front. Lotus Exige would be closest to a boxster in my book.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #54

Speed, upgrades, thrbocharging

THis is all well and good, however I have not seen the real reason....the wow factor

Miata, Mustangs, Corvettes and Subarus are everywhere.....I love having something a little different........I may not get there first.....but Boxster owners get there best.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
Almost any year of mustang will outperform a boxster given some modifications.
A Boxster is a beautiful car, but has a very serious problem that can't be fixed.
You can't get to the engine to work on it. It would need a complete redesign,
so it is like a GT40.

For this reason, I think a Corvette is a better choice for an 'old' car that you will need to work on to keep working and tweaking.
You are kidding. In five years tracking a Boxster I've had 2 Mustangs pass me. A new model track prepped Shelby. A GT class 2010 Mustang with I'll guess had 10 bill in ground effects on it. The Boss 302's may have more HP but they can't turn I can usually get by one is a half lap or less.

As for Corvettes some of the C5 and all the C6 and newer Vettes are faster. So your talking cars that cost more than a new Boxster.

The new Camaros are fast and turn, Nissan GT-r's, EVO's and WRX's
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #56

First off, I have never driven a car more fun to drive than my Boxster. I'll admit the pride of owning a Porsche is an added bonus. I've driven the 350Z and it definitely has more low end torque than at least my Boxster, I wasn't able to hit the twisties so I can't comment on handling.

As far as a BMW, I have a 330ci with the sports package. It's a totally different ride. Even though it has the sport package it still feels like a luxury car especially with the passenger seats behind me. I recently rode the BMW from NorCal to NOLA and back. I'd never try that on my Boxster.

So what is comparable? If you take the Porsche experience into account I don't think any other car can compare. For me, riding the Porsche top down on twisties is like riding my motorcycle carving up canyons. Waitaminute... that's my answer... a GL1800

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Lovely car, although not at all comparable to the Boxster though. It has a little too much roof....
Absolutely true Giller, point well taken.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
THis is all well and good, however I have not seen the real reason....the wow factor

Miata, Mustangs, Corvettes and Subarus are everywhere.....I love having something a little different........I may not get there first.....but Boxster owners get there best.
You are kidding right :ah:
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #59

No, I am not

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote