Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 266
Codes P1119 and P0430

Hi guys,

A little background on what has been happening before the current problem. I've had my Boxster for a year, and it's currently at 140,000 miles. When I first got it, it had codes P1128 and P1130, which were caused by a couples intake and brake booster leaks. I fixed those and it has been great for the past year.

However, I've been getting code P0430 once in a while. I reset it and kept going every time. I notice that that code P0430 only comes on when I'm driving slowly in traffic, or when I'm driving around in a parking lot or structure, every single time.

Last week, I got code P1119, which pointed to the O2 sensor. I didn't reset it, but it went away by itself after a couple days. Yesterday, I got the check engine light again when I was crawling in traffic. The codes are P1119 and P0430.

I've done some research, but haven't found much about these codes together. I was planning to swap the O2 sensor to the other side to see what will happen, but my garage is not available at the moment, so I can't do anything. However, I want to gather as mush information as possible before I tackle this. What do you guys think or suggest I do?

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Hi guys,

A little background on what has been happening before the current problem. I've had my Boxster for a year, and it's currently at 140,000 miles. When I first got it, it had codes P1128 and P1130, which were caused by a couples intake and brake booster leaks. I fixed those and it has been great for the past year.

However, I've been getting code P0430 once in a while. I reset it and kept going every time. I notice that that code P0430 only comes on when I'm driving slowly in traffic, or when I'm driving around in a parking lot or structure, every single time.

Last week, I got code P1119, which pointed to the O2 sensor. I didn't reset it, but it went away by itself after a couple days. Yesterday, I got the check engine light again when I was crawling in traffic. The codes are P1119 and P0430.

I've done some research, but haven't found much about these codes together. I was planning to swap the O2 sensor to the other side to see what will happen, but my garage is not available at the moment, so I can't do anything. However, I want to gather as mush information as possible before I tackle this. What do you guys think or suggest I do?
P1119 is for low heating current on the O2 sensor ahead of the three way cat on bank 4-6; P0430 is for a low conversion rate on the cat on the same bank.

I would test the heating circuit on that sensor and see if has gone bad.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P1119 is for low heating current on the O2 sensor ahead of the three way cat on bank 4-6; P0430 is for a low conversion rate on the cat on the same bank.

I would test the heating circuit on that sensor and see if has gone bad.
Could you please show me how to test the heating circuit? Do I remove the sensor and test the wiring on the sensor?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Could you please show me how to test the heating circuit? Do I remove the sensor and test the wiring on the sensor?
The heater circuit is tested with a digital multimeter with the sensor still installed. You are looking for the presence of resistance between pins 1 & 2 on the connector, and should see between 1.8 and 2.5 ohm. If the unit is in range, turn the ignition to on, and check the same circuit for voltage, you should see 12V.

__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page