986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Codes P1119 and P0430 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56866)

hancock1701 04-24-2015 12:50 PM

Codes P1119 and P0430

Hi guys,

A little background on what has been happening before the current problem. I've had my Boxster for a year, and it's currently at 140,000 miles. When I first got it, it had codes P1128 and P1130, which were caused by a couples intake and brake booster leaks. I fixed those and it has been great for the past year.

However, I've been getting code P0430 once in a while. I reset it and kept going every time. I notice that that code P0430 only comes on when I'm driving slowly in traffic, or when I'm driving around in a parking lot or structure, every single time.

Last week, I got code P1119, which pointed to the O2 sensor. I didn't reset it, but it went away by itself after a couple days. Yesterday, I got the check engine light again when I was crawling in traffic. The codes are P1119 and P0430.

I've done some research, but haven't found much about these codes together. I was planning to swap the O2 sensor to the other side to see what will happen, but my garage is not available at the moment, so I can't do anything. However, I want to gather as mush information as possible before I tackle this. What do you guys think or suggest I do?

JFP in PA 04-24-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 446675)
Hi guys,

A little background on what has been happening before the current problem. I've had my Boxster for a year, and it's currently at 140,000 miles. When I first got it, it had codes P1128 and P1130, which were caused by a couples intake and brake booster leaks. I fixed those and it has been great for the past year.

However, I've been getting code P0430 once in a while. I reset it and kept going every time. I notice that that code P0430 only comes on when I'm driving slowly in traffic, or when I'm driving around in a parking lot or structure, every single time.

Last week, I got code P1119, which pointed to the O2 sensor. I didn't reset it, but it went away by itself after a couple days. Yesterday, I got the check engine light again when I was crawling in traffic. The codes are P1119 and P0430.

I've done some research, but haven't found much about these codes together. I was planning to swap the O2 sensor to the other side to see what will happen, but my garage is not available at the moment, so I can't do anything. However, I want to gather as mush information as possible before I tackle this. What do you guys think or suggest I do?

P1119 is for low heating current on the O2 sensor ahead of the three way cat on bank 4-6; P0430 is for a low conversion rate on the cat on the same bank.

I would test the heating circuit on that sensor and see if has gone bad.

hancock1701 04-24-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 446685)
P1119 is for low heating current on the O2 sensor ahead of the three way cat on bank 4-6; P0430 is for a low conversion rate on the cat on the same bank.

I would test the heating circuit on that sensor and see if has gone bad.

Could you please show me how to test the heating circuit? Do I remove the sensor and test the wiring on the sensor?

JFP in PA 04-25-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 446716)
Could you please show me how to test the heating circuit? Do I remove the sensor and test the wiring on the sensor?

The heater circuit is tested with a digital multimeter with the sensor still installed. You are looking for the presence of resistance between pins 1 & 2 on the connector, and should see between 1.8 and 2.5 ohm. If the unit is in range, turn the ignition to on, and check the same circuit for voltage, you should see 12V.