Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #21

Has anybody ever deleted the front speakers and put speakers in doors and in the rear? opinions?

jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
This might be a stupid question put if you didn't runt he negative wires from the HU where would you run them from?
The other option would have been to use the negative wire that goes into the amp but that would affect the quality because the OEM HU only runs a common ground to the amp.

You're better off running wires yourself.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
The other option would have been to use the negative wire that goes into the amp but that would affect the quality because the OEM HU only runs a common ground to the amp.

You're better off running wires yourself.
So if I am running the wires directly to the speakers I wouldn't attach the ground to the amp at all. Correct?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #24

Quote:
So if I am running the wires directly to the speakers I wouldn't attach the ground to the amp at all. Correct?
Thats right. I imagine what you're looking to do is bypass the amp all together so you can just take it out and see how far you can throw it
Old 07-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Thats right. I imagine what you're looking to do is bypass the amp all together so you can just take it out and see how far you can throw it
True. Afraid to change the stock speakers though. I am no handy at all. Also considering which combination of speakers to go with. Dash and door, dash and rear or door and rear. Door would be attached to front or rear on HU for full sound depending on what the setup is.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #26

Quote:
True. Afraid to change the stock speakers though. I am no handy at all. Also considering which combination of speakers to go with. Dash and door, dash and rear or door and rear. Door would be attached to front or rear on HU for full sound depending on what the setup is.
If you get speakers that fit your car its pretty straight forward, there are plenty of DIYs on this forum and videos on YouTube. I went to crutchfeld.com and looked up my model year and got proper fitting speakers. The dash ones require some modification no matter what speakers you buy but there is a very good video on 986 dash speakers on youtube. Thats what i used to fit mine. I basically just replaced the stock system which was dash and doors. You can easily get a rear set and run some wires from the HU through the console up to the rear.

I'm pretty happy with my setup, plenty of boom even with the top down and good clarity. I was looking for an OEM subwoofer for the rear tray but nobody's selling one..

Good luck with your install!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
If you get speakers that fit your car its pretty straight forward, there are plenty of DIYs on this forum and videos on YouTube. I went to crutchfeld.com and looked up my model year and got proper fitting speakers. The dash ones require some modification no matter what speakers you buy but there is a very good video on 986 dash speakers on youtube. Thats what i used to fit mine. I basically just replaced the stock system which was dash and doors. You can easily get a rear set and run some wires from the HU through the console up to the rear.

I'm pretty happy with my setup, plenty of boom even with the top down and good clarity. I was looking for an OEM subwoofer for the rear tray but nobody's selling one..

Good luck with your install!
Oh and definitely wire them separately to the HU.. doors are larger than dash so if you cant use the fader option to balance more power to the doors(i have them as rears) you will be limited to the max output the dash ones can take until they start to distort the sound. I keep more power on the door ones and the dash ones stay crystal clear even at full blast!