Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Reasons why owning a Porsche Boxster is a horrible experience.

After 10k miles of driving in the last 9 months it has cost me entirely too much to maintain. I am in it 80$ for an oil change, 25$ for a filter, and I even had to top off the power steering fluid.

Despite being a 30 year old man its nimble handling and quick acceleration has me driving like a 16 year old who just got his license

Another down side to the handling and acceleration is that it wears down my tires and brakes too quickly. Most horrible thing EVER!

Its small size has made parking in crowded parking lots way too easy, I really enjoyed the challenge of my pickup truck and squeezing out my door that I could only crack open.

Another thing about its small size is it doesn’t take long enough to clean, I really enjoy spending at least an hour hand washing my car and I just can’t seem to stretch it out that long.

It’s only a two seat sports car and it has not ONE but TWO trunks?? Who the heck needs all that storage!? Seems like such a waste, I would rather have something less practical.

I get confused because I get about 300 miles to a tank and it doesn’t cost much to fill up. I thought sports cars were supposed to guzzle gas?

On Porsche forums I have to read constantly about the IMS bearing and it scares the crap out of me until I realize my car has 0 shavings in the oil and it only happens to roughly 5% of vehicles.

When in random parking lots I have strangers come compliment it and ask me about it, I am way to introverted to allow a vehicle like this in my life.

People also tend to think I spent a whole lot more on my car than I did, It’s a horrible feeling that people assume I own a very high dollar car that I have less than 20k$ into.

My Mr2 used to blast me in the face with wind from every direction going down the interstate but the Boxster just keeps a little wind on the top of my head, I miss looking like a bobble head with the top down.

juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Awesome post man
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Yeah, owning a 986 Boxster is not for everyone.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

L completely Out Loud.These mid engined marvels are too good!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Some guy at a bus stop I pass sometimes will always yell "Porsche 911 dude" at me. I'm not sure what I dislike more, the attention or that he doesn't know his Porsche product.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeck View Post
Some guy at a bus stop I pass sometimes will always yell "Porsche 911 dude" at me. I'm not sure what I dislike more, the attention or that he doesn't know his Porsche product.
The latter is horrible.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Pulled up next to a school bus at a stop sign and I here a kid yell "Look a Lambo!"

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-08-2015 at 01:56 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
After 10k miles of driving in the last 9 months it has cost me entirely too much to maintain. I am in it 80$ for an oil change, 25$ for a filter, and I even had to top off the power steering fluid.

Despite being a 30 year old man its nimble handling and quick acceleration has me driving like a 16 year old who just got his license

Another down side to the handling and acceleration is that it wears down my tires and brakes too quickly. Most horrible thing EVER!

Its small size has made parking in crowded parking lots way too easy, I really enjoyed the challenge of my pickup truck and squeezing out my door that I could only crack open.

Another thing about its small size is it doesn’t take long enough to clean, I really enjoy spending at least an hour hand washing my car and I just can’t seem to stretch it out that long.

It’s only a two seat sports car and it has not ONE but TWO trunks?? Who the heck needs all that storage!? Seems like such a waste, I would rather have something less practical.

I get confused because I get about 300 miles to a tank and it doesn’t cost much to fill up. I thought sports cars were supposed to guzzle gas?

On Porsche forums I have to read constantly about the IMS bearing and it scares the crap out of me until I realize my car has 0 shavings in the oil and it only happens to roughly 5% of vehicles.

When in random parking lots I have strangers come compliment it and ask me about it, I am way to introverted to allow a vehicle like this in my life.

People also tend to think I spent a whole lot more on my car than I did, It’s a horrible feeling that people assume I own a very high dollar car that I have less than 20k$ into.

My Mr2 used to blast me in the face with wind from every direction going down the interstate but the Boxster just keeps a little wind on the top of my head, I miss looking like a bobble head with the top down.
Yeah I hate mine too. I hate it so much I took it out of lay up and insured it on the very first nice day we had up here after winter. I hate it so much I had to force myself to smile and now I have a permagrin.

Damn Boxster.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #9

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
or is he telling you to get a 911 instead of a girly boxster
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Sarcasm, thy name is juiced99ws6.

You neglected to mention how horrendously all previous owners treat it, leaving you with a rusted-out Pinto/Vega/Gremlin/Dart bucket of oxidized waste on bias ply bald tires with which to live.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:12 AM   #11

I'm a masochist so I bought 2. I have less than $20,000 in both, drive one of them 3,000 miles a month, and annoyingly they've been among the most reliable cars I've ever had. Completely ruins the sports car ownership experience. I'm also anti-social so all the thumbs up, compliments and questions really bum me out.
I don't know how you people stand it.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 AM   #12

Garage
Oh the pain, the pain after I drive
My check muscles (Face) are killing me
This thing is a drug. The moment my drive is over I need another fix
And of course we all know that to much driving will kill it - But we still go back for more
I've even started robbing my bank account to keep it going

I think I need an intervention
Old 04-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #13

Garage
Yeah, and the freakin' top disappears too. Can you imagine?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #14

Garage
It is so ruff being the owner of a car like the Boxster,

The amnesia it causes is really starting to bother me I think.

I really love my job but as soon as i hop in it at the end of the day I completely forget about all the joy I had all day working.
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #15

I really hate that everytime I park and walk away from my Boxster I have to turn back and look at it - it's starting to hurt my neck.

And sometimes I waste a whole Saturday morning at my shop just hanging out piddling around and making lists of things I want to do to the cars.

And then there's all those hours I spend on eBay, Craigslist and the Boxster forums looking for little pieces and parts options, wheels, etc.

And the worst is, when I have to take a whole weekend and take the car to the track. I can't even get my yard mowed!

Maybe it's time for a new hobby? NOT!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 AM   #16

Its annoying how after doing flooring and getting a sore back, taking a drive in the Boxster with heated seats fixes that right up and puts a big grin on my face. Or perhaps the drive made me forget my pains?

I was hoping to drag the sore back thing out for a bit and keep a frown on my face so I don't have to do more chores for a bit.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #17

Garage
All of these comments apply to me as well It does take me longer than an hour to wash it so I have to disagree with that comment Time flies when you are having fun though
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #18

The community obviously sucks as well. You make a sarcastic post and everyone just joins right in with some great comments to keep it going.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
The community obviously sucks as well. You make a sarcastic post and everyone just joins right in with some great comments to keep it going.
I think most have sense that you weren't too impressed with the 986 and perhaps detected you needed a quick cheer up! Why else would you post that anyway. That's all what all those replies have as a purpose. To cheer you up bud - nothing else

Old 04-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Garage
Juiced...you my friend just made me sit here and read your post with a HUGE grin on my face!!! Then reading some of the responses made me actually laugh!! This is one of the reasons I LOVE reading this forum..keep up the good work everyone and thanks for making my day!!

drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote