Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #1

Spring Has Arrived!!!

Hi,

Well, yesterday and today, the Twin Cities reached Temps of 50°, Clear Sunny Skies, and I brought my Boxster out of it's long Winter Sleep.

Pulling the Battery off it's Maintainer and re-installing it into the Car, adjusting the Tire Pressures, checking all Fluids, replacing the Spark Plugs and Flushing the Brake System, and doing a general underbody check, I switched on the Starter and the Car instantly came to Life. No Cloud of Smoke, no CELs - Good Things.

I reset the Radio Code (to my surprise, all the Radio Station Pre-Sets had been retained over the Winter w/ no battery in the Car - a surprise), checked all Lights, Standardized the Windows, and allowed the Car to fully Warm at idle, which was smooth and strong. I turned the Heater on Full, rolled up the Windows, closed the Doors, and allowed the Interior and the Rear Window to fully warm while I folded and put away the Car Cover. Once the Rear Window was Warm to the Touch, I lowered the Top and it folded smoothly, with no horrific Cracking Sound - more Good Things.

I pulled out of the Garage and decided to run the circuit around Mpls's 5 main Lakes. The Car ran wonderfully, the feel, the sound, and Sun bringing back memories of many great Drives of last Season. I got a bunch of waves and Thumbs-Up from Joggers and Bladers on the Lakes Paths and several other Drivers.

The Car is amazing and it feels good to once again be in the Drivers Seat. I'm looking forward to a Fun, Safe Driving Season for the next 5-6 months...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-09-2006 at 09:01 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
This is all good to hear.
Just wondering how long does it take to change the spark plugs? Are there any diagrams/chart/pictures/tutorials on how to do it?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #3

My fav. color scheme. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-hate to rub it in but we don't put these bad boys away for the Winter here in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Well, yesterday and today, the Twin Cities reached Temps of 50°, Clear Sunny Skies, and I brought my Boxster out of it's long Winter Sleep.

Pulling the Battery off it's Maintainer and re-installing it into the Car, adjusting the Tire Pressures, checking all Fluids, replacing the Spark Plugs and Flushing the Brake System, and doing a general underbody check, I switched on the Starter and the Car instantly came to Life. No Cloud of Smoke, no CELs - Good Things.

I reset the Radio Code (to my surprise, all the Radio Station Pre-Sets had been retained over the Winter w/ no battery in the Car - a surprise), checked all Lights, Standardized the Windows, and allowed the Car to fully Warm at idle, which was smooth and strong. I turned on the Heater on Full, rolled up the Windows, closed the Doors, and allowed the Interior and the Rear Window to fully warm while I folded and put away the Car Cover. Once the Rear Window was Warm to the Touch, I lowered the Top and it folded smoothly, with no horrific Cracking Sound - more Good Things.

I pulled out of the Garage and decided to run the circuit around Mpls's 5 main Lakes. The Car ran wonderfully, the feel, the sound, and Sun bringing back many great Drives of last Season. I got a bunch of waves and Thumbs-Up from Joggers and Bladers on the Lakes Paths and several other Drivers.

The Car is amazing and it feels good to once again be in the Drivers Seat. I'm looking forward to a Fun, Safe Driving Season for the next 5-6 months...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:35 AM   #4

Good to hear alls well with the car after the hibernation Jim.....Its been pretty cold around Chicago, sunny, but cold. Took the car out yesterday top up by the way as it was about 35 with the wind chill. I'm driving for a bit, and I look in my rear view mirror and theres a chick in an older red Fiat Spider with the top down! Shes just cruisin around like that...I'm not that hardy.....But its supposed to hit into the 70s later this week, can't wait!

Lou

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #5

MN,

Great post...what do you mean "Standardized the Windows"?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
MN,

Great post...what do you mean "Standardized the Windows"?
Hi,

Welcome Back BTW! Standardizing the Windows is required anytime the Battery, the wiring harness or the Motor are disconnected. The Power Window Regulator loses it's reference point for the Closed Position.

To re-establish this, you need to fully raise the Windows (with the Top up) and hold the switch depressed after the Window reaches its peak for 5 sec.

Also, you lose the one-touch control after the same types of interuptions and so must also re-establish this. This is done by running the Window one complete cycle - Up/Down without interuption. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!.... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-09-2006 at 08:55 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

Ah, you so smaaaaht!!!! Why you live in cold area if you so smaaaaht?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboxster
Good to hear alls well with the car after the hibernation Jim.....Its been pretty cold around Chicago, sunny, but cold. Took the car out yesterday top up by the way as it was about 35 with the wind chill. I'm driving for a bit, and I look in my rear view mirror and theres a chick in an older red Fiat Spider with the top down! Shes just cruisin around like that...I'm not that hardy.....But its supposed to hit into the 70s later this week, can't wait!

Lou
Tomorrow 66 degrees and tuesday 70 !!
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #9

Drivers window goes back up, can't close door

My drivers window drops 1/4". but goes back up when the handle is released.
The interior door lights stay on as if the door is open when it is shut.
Can you please with this problem.
Thanks,
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Welcome Back BTW! Standardizing the Windows is required anytime the Battery, the wiring harness or the Motor are disconnected. The Power Window Regulator loses it's reference point for the Closed Position.

To re-establish this, you need to fully raise the Windows (with the Top up) and hold the switch depressed after the Window reaches its peak for 5 sec.

Also, you lose the one-touch control after the same types of interuptions and so must also re-establish this. This is done by running the Window one complete cycle - Up/Down without interuption. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!.... Jim'99
glenn davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
This is all good to hear.
Just wondering how long does it take to change the spark plugs? Are there any diagrams/chart/pictures/tutorials on how to do it?

Use the access panels located in the wheel well, they allow for a straighter path for the extension, the plugs are in the head pretty #%&ing deep!
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #11

Just had this issue with my recently acquired 2000 Boxster S... it was the microswitch on the door lock assembly inside the door. Unfortunately it is not a separate part so you have to swap out the whole lock itself. The microswitch is basically not telling the car about the door open/close position properly.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn davis
Thanks,
Glenn

David - San Jose, CA
Current: 2010 Touareg V6 TDI, stock for now...
Current: 2000 Boxster S, stock for now...
Former: 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo... too many issues!
Former: 1999 996 C2, sorely missed
Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn davis
Thanks,
Glenn
Glen -
Reborn996 is correct. Search for a post from a few days ago titled 'Window not staying down'. It includes part info and the name of the thread I used about a year ago to fix the same problem.
Just be sure to keep the windows down a little when closing the door until it is fixed.
Good luck!

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote