Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #81
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Tune options ?
Some say push a tune from a 996 of the same year as your car into it or do a dyno tune. The 2004 Special Edition came with the 987 air box with the larger MAF housing, so I might be able to push a tune from one of those and be good since mine is a 2003 and has the same engine.

However I'm going to go with a dyno tune when the time comes.

I believe I read our cars can adapt up to a 20% increase in air volume before running lean. The MAF house size is programed into the car's DME, so if you change to a larger MAF house the MAF sensor can not correctly determine the amount of air going into the engine. I think it will even throw a CEL when using the 987 MAF house.

Last edited by KRAM36; 03-27-2015 at 04:07 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #82
Track rat

Garage
Figure 2-3 hours labor to get a good look at the problem. Pull the plugs and scope the suspected cylinders. Then drop the oil filter and inspect for grenade frag. If a cyl has failed or the filter is loaded with shiny bits, the motor is now a boat anchor IMO. I would not rebuild a grenaded m96. A clean motor from a dismantler offers a lot better option and higher success rate for my $$.

If everything looks good and clean except the misfire in cyl #4, a valve spring is very likely. This is certainly worth a repair attempt for reasonable $$.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #83

I could not stand it

THis has been going on for over a week or so....I would have the filter out, the oil out, the plugs out....drop the pan and put my eyeballs on the internals to see what is what....or more importantly what is not
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #84
Registered Boxster abuser

Well if the whole one side has lost compression, I would think that a cam jumped gear, lost timing, or because of that, bent valves. And because of that once it is determined that the valves are bent. the head will have to come off at the very least to correct. Am I wrong?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #85
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
You could always go with a chevy small block from the boys in vegas or the subaru conversion which is well documented on the site. Just saying there are options, it just depends on how much you love the car and how much you want to keep it.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #86

Garage
This mechanic is giving you some strange information. A $15,000 tool? Must be gold plated. The tear down time and the hourly rate don't make sense either. If you own a Boxster, you need to either be mechanically inclined or you need to have deep pockets. I say get on youtube and start learning how to work on your car. If you lived near me, I would buy and fix it and then try to talk the wife into keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab986 View Post
The shop quoted me $3,900 (27 hrs x $145/hr) for taking the engine apart to see what the problem is. He also said that it's not that simple because you need a special tool that cost $15,000 which is why not all shops can do it.
He also said that based on his experience when something like this happens the valves are most likely bent which is another $2,000 in parts to fix the engine.

I haven't really had the time yet to check around and see if I can get a better quote somewhere else. Is there any experienced Porsche mechanics out there on the forum who could tell me if the estimate he gave me sounds reasonable?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Well if the whole one side has lost compression, I would think that a cam jumped gear, lost timing, or because of that, bent valves. And because of that once it is determined that the valves are bent. the head will have to come off at the very least to correct. Am I wrong?
This exact thing is what happened to my car last July. Cost me 15.2k.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #88

Let me ask a question

If your engine were on the verge of doing this could you detect it using a durametric to see cam deviations ?
Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #89

From what I understand, yes. I'm not 100% sure though. If I were to buy a Boxster again I'd check the car out a lot more thoroughly then I did when I bought mine. I've learned a lot in the year and 3 months I've owned mine. I also found a really good Indy shop with an owner and mechanic I really like and respect. In the end, it was cheaper and quicker to just swap my engine out for a rebuilt unit. The Indy shop that did my engine swap buys them from a re-builder in CA. It comes with "nickies", updated head bolts, and a few other minor improvements. He installed an LN IMS bearing, and a new clutch and flywheel. The rebuilt engine was pretty much turn key, and included new or rebuilt everything from starter to alternator. The throttle body is the only part that was swapped over. The car runs and drives amazing and the engine came with a 3 year 36k warranty, as well as a one year warranty on the install and all the work the shop did. When he sent the core back to the rebuilder I got $2000 back. I was lucky. $2500 is the most you can get back, and the shop said most people get nothing. They also have stood behind that warranty. Just last week I had a power steering leak at the return line to the reservoir and it lost power steering. Had it towed in, and they fixed it in a day and didn't charge a dime.

Anyway, I spent more then the car is worth to fix it, but I financed it, and it made no sense to me to just give up on it. So I fixed it. When I bought it I planned on keeping it for a long time, so it was an investment in being able to keep it for years to come. I still own the Karmann Ghia my Dad bought in 1980 and was his daily driver until 99, I plan on doing the same. Hopefully.

Last edited by Swhitcomb; 03-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM   #90

What about putting a v8 engine kit in it. cost u 3-4k? that company i think has tested and run for legit complete kit by now? Like the older 911 kit's.
eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomak View Post
What about putting a v8 engine kit in it. cost u 3-4k? that company i think has tested and run for legit complete kit by now? Like the older 911 kit's.
Read this thread thoroughly.....not for the faint hearted at all

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/54328-boxsterls376-introduction-ls3-conversion.html
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Read this thread thoroughly.....not for the faint hearted at all

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/54328-boxsterls376-introduction-ls3-conversion.html
I agree, you need to be very mechanically inclined to take on that kind of project. Swapping a 3.2 with a V8 is one thing, integrating that new engine and all of its components with the rest of the car is another. It's a slippery slope and by the time you're done it can easily set you back 15k-20k. I'm probably be better off swapping my 3.2 with the exact same 3.2.

fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote