View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #86
jdlmodelt

Garage
This mechanic is giving you some strange information. A $15,000 tool? Must be gold plated. The tear down time and the hourly rate don't make sense either. If you own a Boxster, you need to either be mechanically inclined or you need to have deep pockets. I say get on youtube and start learning how to work on your car. If you lived near me, I would buy and fix it and then try to talk the wife into keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab986 View Post
The shop quoted me $3,900 (27 hrs x $145/hr) for taking the engine apart to see what the problem is. He also said that it's not that simple because you need a special tool that cost $15,000 which is why not all shops can do it.
He also said that based on his experience when something like this happens the valves are most likely bent which is another $2,000 in parts to fix the engine.

I haven't really had the time yet to check around and see if I can get a better quote somewhere else. Is there any experienced Porsche mechanics out there on the forum who could tell me if the estimate he gave me sounds reasonable?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote