View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #89
Swhitcomb

From what I understand, yes. I'm not 100% sure though. If I were to buy a Boxster again I'd check the car out a lot more thoroughly then I did when I bought mine. I've learned a lot in the year and 3 months I've owned mine. I also found a really good Indy shop with an owner and mechanic I really like and respect. In the end, it was cheaper and quicker to just swap my engine out for a rebuilt unit. The Indy shop that did my engine swap buys them from a re-builder in CA. It comes with "nickies", updated head bolts, and a few other minor improvements. He installed an LN IMS bearing, and a new clutch and flywheel. The rebuilt engine was pretty much turn key, and included new or rebuilt everything from starter to alternator. The throttle body is the only part that was swapped over. The car runs and drives amazing and the engine came with a 3 year 36k warranty, as well as a one year warranty on the install and all the work the shop did. When he sent the core back to the rebuilder I got $2000 back. I was lucky. $2500 is the most you can get back, and the shop said most people get nothing. They also have stood behind that warranty. Just last week I had a power steering leak at the return line to the reservoir and it lost power steering. Had it towed in, and they fixed it in a day and didn't charge a dime.

Anyway, I spent more then the car is worth to fix it, but I financed it, and it made no sense to me to just give up on it. So I fixed it. When I bought it I planned on keeping it for a long time, so it was an investment in being able to keep it for years to come. I still own the Karmann Ghia my Dad bought in 1980 and was his daily driver until 99, I plan on doing the same. Hopefully.

Last edited by Swhitcomb; 03-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote