Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
I need an easy favor please.

I just receive the new wheels I ordered.

If you guys would please go to 1010TIRES.COMŽ — Tires and Wheels Absolute Authority. go to select wheel by car type. Put in 2014 Porsche Boxster S with 19" wheels. You will see Braelin BR01 (Painted/Black) Wheels and click add them to cart and you should come up with a total of USD$1,161.96 and no shipping charge.

Now here is the deal, when you add the wheel to cart does it offer a wheel kit to you? It does not offer one to me.

Here is my problem with the wheels. Stock Porsche lug bolts will not fit these wheels and there is no mention of this anywhere. I called them about this issue and they claimed I refused the wheel kit, which includes lug bolts that fit the wheel. I told them it was never offered to me. I even went back through the purchase process again and it still did not offer me the wheel kit.

They told me I need to go buy some "tuner" lug bolts. I have already purchased new lug bolts with 5mm spacers from ECS Tuning at over $200.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-05-2015 at 05:18 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Nope. When I added the wheels to my cart, it offered me locking bolts (is that what you're looking for?), tire bonnets and some kind of windshield treatment.

No "wheel kit", though.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

I just did it on my phone and here is what it asked me.

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
Nope. When I added the wheels to my cart, it offered me locking bolts (is that what you're looking for?), tire bonnets and some kind of windshield treatment.

No "wheel kit", though.
Not the locking lug bolts, but a wheel kit that includes the lug bolts for these wheels. I told that person on the phone it was never offered to me, I never declined it. Also the "tuner" lug bolts have to be 14mm vs Porsche's 19mm.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I don't think their web site is doing what they think it is. Tell them none of your friends got the offer either.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Could some other people please do this. Very important to me.

Thank You to those that did and will.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Hate to say it, but I doubt any of this will matter to the company.

The best suggest is to work with ECS about returning their lugs and having them ship you tuner lugs. ECS is a reputable company.
Dzl210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

the size of the bolt head isnt the issue, its most likely a ball vs cone seat issue.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
the size of the bolt head isnt the issue, its most likely a ball vs cone seat issue.
I'm guessing the bolt head doesn't physically fit in the holes, i've had "tuner" wheels, they use very small headed lug nuts/bolts. I started just buying "OEM+" wheels in recent years because I just like bolting things on that fit right.
Dzl210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzl210 View Post
Hate to say it, but I doubt any of this will matter to the company.

The best suggest is to work with ECS about returning their lugs and having them ship you tuner lugs. ECS is a reputable company.
Paid through PayPal, have a dispute started on this.

I called ECS Tuning to see if I could get some lug bolts from them and it's a no go with them for a Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
It's the size of the lug bolt. Won't fit at all, have to use a bolt that uses 14mm, not Porsche 19mm size. Plus how would this affect torque values? Porsche chose 19mm and that's what I want.

Also notice the exposed metal, with the the proper lug bolt the metal will be showing. Not like that in the product picture. This is just terrible work and why on Earth would they not cut them for a Porsche lug bolt? These where special ordered to fit a Porsche.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-05-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzl210 View Post
I'm guessing the bolt head doesn't physically fit in the holes, i've had "tuner" wheels, they use very small headed lug nuts/bolts. I started just buying "OEM+" wheels in recent years because I just like bolting things on that fit right.
Exactly! I don't want smaller lug bolts and this was never mentioned during the ordering procedure nor was I offered a "wheel kit", which wouldn't work anyways since I'm running 5mm spacers.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
Need For Speed

Garage
Would you guys please go do this for me. I am submitting this thread to PayPal.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Nice wheels. This is pretty common here, in Japan, Taiwan etc. Lots of aftermarket wheels are either cast or forged out of aluminum (filled) and then machined to the customer's PCD and hub size. From your pix it appears that did a pretty good job with them.

Like TRK mentioned, all you need is a lug bolt kits with the cone, not the ball. I (and TRK) could be wrong but I also think you simply need a kit like those:

In black of course. The lugs kit you previously got can be sold here easy I'm sure and you won't lose more than a few $ doing so.

I'd say just get on with it man, those are some sick looking wheels that you want to keep - I can hear your sport car screaming for them to be installed
Old 02-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Or if you like really fancy stuff I do lug bolts for a living loll (I wish)

Did those below out of Ti6Al4V (titanium) for the pcar guys here at the circuit (R14 ball is 7075 AL). If my memory is good I think I've machined 140 of these (7 kits) and they were sold out before lunch kicked in LOLLL was funny

I can do you a set of custom lugs if you are not in a rush. Cheap-cheap only $7,885

Old 02-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
a bargain at twice the price
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #16
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Nice wheels. This is pretty common here, in Japan, Taiwan etc. Lots of aftermarket wheels are either cast or forged out of aluminum (filled) and then machined to the customer's PCD and hub size. From your pix it appears that did a pretty good job with them.

Like TRK mentioned, all you need is a lug bolt kits with the cone, not the ball. I (and TRK) could be wrong but I also think you simply need a kit like those:

In black of course. The lugs kit you previously got can be sold here easy I'm sure and you won't lose more than a few $ doing so.

I'd say just get on with it man, those are some sick looking wheels that you want to keep - I can hear your sport car screaming for them to be installed
Yes that would work, but that's not the issue. Never did the site mention that I would not be able to use Porsche lug bolts. This should be upfront when purchasing wheels. As I noted, I've spent over $200 getting 5mm spacers and lug bolts from ECS Tuning. I want to use the ECS spacers, they are great quality.

After a long talk with Johnny Danger I believe these would be the lug bolts I would need for these wheels.

Longer Extended Wheel Tapered Bolts Studs Lugs Black Benz 14x1 5 35mm Thread | eBay

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-05-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Yes that would work, but that's not the issue. Never did the site mention that I would not be able to use Porsche lug bolts. This should be upfront when purchasing wheels. As I noted, I've spent over $200 getting 5mm spacers and lug bolts from ECS Tuning. I want to use the ECS spacers, they are great quality.

After a long talk with Johnny Danger I believe these would be the lug bolts I would need for these wheels.

Longer Extended Wheel Tapered Bolts Studs Lugs Black Benz 14x1 5 35mm Thread | eBay
Yea tapered or cone, whatever you call those lug bolts there are pretty standard to most of the car wheels. No issues with using the same spacers or some of other manufacturers mate.

Websites, communication, huh! Some guy (middle-east based) put up a PayPal complaint on gtprojectors.com for failing to send him the complete headlight unit. He said "all I received was projectors, no new headlights in the box" I demand my money back (worst he refused to send back his projectors). ?!?!?. There is no where on your website that mention that you are not going to send me a new pair of headlights.

Thankfully PayPal recently ruled in my favor but none the less, carrying business online is really difficult enough. I'm sure your wheel supplier will amend their listing if you remind them too - just a misunderstanding. Nobody is perfect mate, be nice!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #18

Kickass wheels you got there, if I may add (very jealous). Can't wait to see them on your car
Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Some guy (middle-east based) put up a PayPal complaint on gtprojectors.com for failing to send him the complete headlight unit. He said "all I received was projectors, no new headlights in the box" I demand my money back (worst he refused to send back his projectors). ?!?!?. There is nowhere on your website that mention that you are not going to send me a new pair of headlights.
That's unreal. The guy must be an idiot or a thief. I don't see any way you can make that mistake from looking at the website.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
Need For Speed

Garage
What do you think about having the lug holes redrilled to accept Porsche lug bolts?