Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
To say someone is rich or successful because of the things you see they own is stupid I’m sorry. Anyone today can buy whatever they want with the money they don’t have. I’m not trying to take anything away from anyone, but you see too many people drive cars they have no business in. How many people do you know that can walk into a car dealership and buy a 50K car cash with no strings attached? Probably very few. There was a poll not to long back that showed majority owners on this forum own second hand Boxsters, but how many can really afford a brand new one without payments?

The world offers too many ways for you get screwed; they come in for from of Loans, Leases, & Financing

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
But it does not hurt to be rich or successful....

Yes true...and everyone has their own definition of rich and successful
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #23

Thumbs up Youthful expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I plan on buying a house by 23, 993 or Boxster S(havent decided) at 25, 360 Modena at 30.
There is a remedy for your illness, as told by Mr. Greenspan, time to correct your exuberant expectations, when he spoke those words it was the kiss of death for the Internet bubble as it exploded like a kids pinata.
All kidding aside no matter what the age young= perv, middle age= your life is in crisis mode searching for answer, and old= must be that dementia hiccup, people like to part with their nasty remarks unto the porschephiles. Though your date's father was obnoxious at least he was not vulgar as the people I worked for when I got mine at 55. In the end you have the Porsche and the babe. I believe that is a win win situation in my book. Good luck with your car and make that Ferrari red that is all I ask.

Last edited by Pilot2519j; 04-03-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #24

Hi,

Everyone finds their own way in Life, and that's the way it should be. If living with one's parents is palatable to both you and your parents, no one else should really have an opinion on the subject. They may/may have chosen differently, but that's their choice to make. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #25

You can always do what I did, marry a doctor
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
You can always do what I did, marry a doctor

Is it wrong to wait for my $200million+ inheritance in real estate?
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #27

what's all the fuss about?

here's a simple solution everyone can do.
gather investors, everyone knows someone with extra money. this is how you see infomercials say " buy a house without using your own money!"
buy a foreclosed home from the city/county clerk. These auctions happen once a month. Sell it. You can easily make 100% profit 50% MINIMUM. I do this once/twice a year just to suppot my bi-annual car purchase habit. It is a lot easier than you think. Everyone should do this. This is part time as I still keep my full time job. Past purchases since I started in 2001.

2001 - 2001 MBZ e320 4matic
2003 - 2003 Acura NSX
2005 - 1999 Supercharged Boxster
12/2005 - 2.5 Carat Engagement ring.

I know you car guys are gonna kill me but, the RING was the best purchase!
(Before the hate responses start coming, I CAN'T afford a F430, F360 sorry to say will be in SILVER, the NSX is already red, . Jealous Fiance making me sell the 986, found out truth was because x-girlfriend used to borrow it.)

Last edited by pinoyfiend; 04-03-2006 at 11:51 PM.
pinoyfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyfiend
here's a simple solution everyone can do.
gather investors, everyone knows someone with extra money. this is how you see infomercials say " buy a house without using your own money!"
buy a foreclosed home from the city/county clerk. These auctions happen once a month. Sell it. You can easily make 100% profit 50% MINIMUM. I do this once/twice a year just to suppot my bi-annual car purchase habit.
Do you have any expierences in the Sacramento region?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyfiend
I know you car guys are gonna kill me but, the RING was the best purchase!
(Before the hate responses start coming, I CAN'T afford a F430, F360 sorry to say will be in SILVER, the NSX is already red, . Jealous Fiance making me sell the 986, found out truth was because x-girlfriend used to borrow it.)
You should set that fiance straight, and keep the Boxster. You're setting a dangerous precedent. If she's "making" you do this, and "making" you do that, you'll live to regret being controlled like that.

After all, she has "things" that a previous boyfriend of hers used to borrow, doesn't she?

Sorry, not trying to be offensive, it's just that I've never understood this kind of thinking. And I'm too old to figure it out now.

Oh well, back to your regular Boxster programming!

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #30
olly986

we should rename this thread: Pull a bird or make a buck!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #31

pinoyfiend... didn't you buy that Boxster already supercharged and everything on Ebay? I swear I remember it for sale on there last year...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
However , to have a Modena by 30 , you will need , rich relatives , a career or a lucrative patent or business.
So you think within the next 12 years he plans to live at home and not pursue a career?
To me it sounds as though his lifestyle of "paygo" is a smart one for someone his age. I would wager to guess that he will more than likely attain his goal of getting a Modena by 30 but will probably pass on it and move up to something else.
Also, did you consider that in 12 years a Modena will have depreciated greatly? Think of a 12 year old Ferrari now, like a 348. You can get them for the same price of a new Boxster.
Is that so hard to attain without "rich relatives...or a lucrative patent or business."???
Sorry dbth but you need to get off your high horse.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #33

Just want to interject something here...

When you embark on a career, you're getting started on somthing that could potentially last 30 or 40 years or even longer.

Making money is great, and we all know that it takes more of it than the average person has to be able to afford our beloved Boxsters, to say nothing of a Ferrari! What's really important over the long run is to find something that you are happy doing. If you dread waking up in the morning on a work day, then no car, no matter how wonderful, will make you happy. Working endless hours, working for a boss you hate, and working a job you hate are the three easiest ways to burn yourself out on life, so keep that in mind.

I am fortunate that I am good at the thing I like to do, and that it rewards me well enough to pursue the interests I love outside of work.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #34

you guys are a bunch of haters. quit pickin on a kid who loves cars. we were all kids who loved cars at one time. Congatulations Blinkwatt on getting a porssche so early. i hope you get the ferarri. its only natural to have goals and aspirations. by the time you can afford the ferarri you may not want it anymore. such is life.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #35

It's funny that as Porsche owners we get caught up in the image that the brand projects, when we have some inside knowledge and should know better.

If Blinkwatt had purchased a 2006 Toyota Camry no one would be questioning his purchase or lifestyle, or making silver spoon references, and a 2006 Camry costs more than a 99 Boxster. But it's part of the interesting phenomena where cars that are pricey new, retain their halo of prestige as age and depreciation move them decidedly down-market.

Obviously it's Blinkwatt's money and his life, and if driving such a car is a priority for him, so be it. The only thing I might question is the advisability of a younger person purchasing an import sports-car that's seven years out of the box, only because cars that fit that profile are usually expensive to run and maintain. Keeping a car running can be quite a drain at a time when it might be a good idea to develop a little financial breathing room for the the long road ahead.

I also don't think anyone is hating on him. From what I've read, a few posters have been tempering his enthusiasm with good intentioned doses of reality. And although it's a hard thing to take advice or receive judgement from someone else, it might be worthwhile to consider the input of someone who has some idea of what that road ahead looks like.

____

Pinoy, I am a little curious why you went from a 90K Acura NSX to an 18K Porsche Boxster?

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #36

Wow I wouldn't have ever thought that this thread would turn into this. Let me update some quick info. I will be one step closer to reaching my goals as I will be promoted in 2 weeks more then likely(ever manager says I have the position,Iam not taking it for granted though). My Boxster at the time I bought it was more then a new Camry(dont worry I checked),but I clearly see your point there. Another thing I forgot to point out is that I bought my Boxster as stepping stool/test to my next car(Boxster S or 993). I wanted to see what a true high class German enginereed car was like and see if I could really value it. In addition to every Porsche seems to hold value if it was taken care of (look at value of excellent condition 928,944 and old 911s),so Im hoping it will be decent amount of money towards my next car.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #37

blinkwatt - what did you sell or are you selling on ebay?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
It's funny that as Porsche owners we get caught up in the image that the brand projects, when we have some inside knowledge and should know better.

If Blinkwatt had purchased a 2006 Toyota Camry no one would be questioning his purchase or lifestyle, or making silver spoon references, and a 2006 Camry costs more than a 99 Boxster. But it's part of the interesting phenomena where cars that are pricey new, retain their halo of prestige as age and depreciation move them decidedly down-market.

Obviously it's Blinkwatt's money and his life, and if driving such a car is a priority for him, so be it. The only thing I might question is the advisability of a younger person purchasing an import sports-car that's seven years out of the box, only because cars that fit that profile are usually expensive to run and maintain. Keeping a car running can be quite a drain at a time when it might be a good idea to develop a little financial breathing room for the the long road ahead.

I also don't think anyone is hating on him. From what I've read, a few posters have been tempering his enthusiasm with good intentioned doses of reality. And although it's a hard thing to take advice or receive judgement from someone else, it might be worthwhile to consider the input of someone who has some idea of what that road ahead looks like.

____

Pinoy, I am a little curious why you went from a 90K Acura NSX to an 18K Porsche Boxster?

You can not judge the price of a car for what it is worth today as almost every car loses value. Soo many people today can buy a Brand New 100K car, its how many of them can afford to property maintain them...

My daily driver is a 1997 S500 Mercedes Benz which my father bought Brand New Feburary of 1997 for 106k...Today that car is worth 17K, and anyone can pretty much afford it, but how many people could have really bought it back in 1997.

In my opinion when buying a second hand car that old today and saying you can afford one or that you have one your only kidding yourself.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
blinkwatt - what did you sell or are you selling on ebay?
I buy and resell guitar amps alot during the summer,"gigging" season. I normally find busted amps and fix them and resell them for alot more. Everyonce and awhile I come across a deal where I can buy it in working condition and resell it for a few hundred or more immediately. In addition I sell hobby trains(any scale) that were left to my dad and I after my grandfather passed away. The hobby trains may not sound like much but it is when we have a room in our house stacked floor to ceiling with them,literally. I also sell anything for anyone that wants me to sell it and I take commision off the final funds after fees. It ranges from $400-$1800 extra a month depending on the season and how much time I have with school,gym,real estate training and the ladies.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #40

If you come across a Bogner Fish preamp at a price south of absolute insanity, please let me know

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote