Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Took the Boxster out for date Saturday

Quick story I thought I should share it quiet funny in my eyes. Went to pick up this chick for a date on Saturday,didnt know her too well(saw her at my job and got her number,called her up and set up a date). I went to pick her up and her jaw just dropped when I pulled up to her house,I think she was assuming I have a beater car since Iam only 18. Needless to say the date went well and I headed back to her house to watch a movie. Apon arriving her whole family was there,parents and 7 brothers and sisters. Her mom was hounding me with questions "Who gave you the money for that?","Are you some sort of drug dealer?","How fast do you drive in that?". I kindly let her know how I made a decent amount of money off of eBay last summer and that I work alot. After another half hour of questions her step father pulls me aside and says "Watch it kid,I know what you do in Porsches,I used to have one." Moral of the story leave the Boxster at home for the first date if you are younger.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #2

Frankly I would have thought a Boxster would be one of the safer vehicles to send a daughter off in. Unless they're both contortionists, there isn't a whole lot going to go on in the car.
Suppose you had pulled up in a minivan?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #3

It is always the man behind the machine! No matter what car a younger man drives, fathers watch out!

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #4

So did you prove Dad right?
BentleyJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #5

my friend calls me "the serial dater". Having this car definitely helps keeping that going. This one girl's younger step-sister came out with us one night her mouth just dropped when she saw my car. She just walked past it thinking it was someone one else car. "oh my god like this your car???!! can I PLLLLEAAAASSE ride with you???" I had a good laugh while I noticed older sister was jealously glaring at me.
I noticed little kids and chicks really like this car. While guys my age just look it over (carefully) and rarely say anything. Older guys are usually the ones to make a nice compliment. But as far as as girls and my BoxsterS its a bit ironic because the one or two dolly birds that I've really wanted to impress have this view:

1- one doesn't know what Porsche is.
2- one thinks my Boxster is "a toy car"
3- one thinks its too extravagant for a "serious guy"

the moral of the story is you can't win. (well not on cars alone).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

Well, at least you young single men don't have my problem, which has been discussed here multiple times.

"He's aging (44 year old), overweight, balding, married 20 years now, and without any question, going through his midlife crisis. Just look at that car he drives on weekends!"

Just like you, I can't win. They just don't understand I have dreamed of owning a Porsche nearly my whole life. And if they really knew me, they'd know that if I was going through a REAL midlife crisis, I'd be doing far more naughty and adventurous things with my time and money than fixing up an old Boxster!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #7

well women and cars never mix

When i drive my 2003 Acura NSX, I get compliments from guys and guys only, one girl asks me, "is that a camaro". My cousinsays I look like an old man in my 2001 e320. As for the boxster, girls really just know the brand name / shape, girls just ask "You have a porsche?" "can I ride in it?".. .. so I made my boxster faster than my NSX to get credit from both the male and female sides...after all my efforts and love for cars, I guess nothing, yes not even cars, beats the love of a fine woman. Never needed the cars to meet/date women but the car collection does help.. Not in the gold digging/materialistic kind of way but more in the indication of success. Happy to say, I did recently find the woman of my life and she never even seen my car collection, but since she heard about the Boxster.. she's making me sell it.....as for the replacement, she says I can get anything BUT another Porsche....as long as she helps me choose it. For the first try she hates the Gallardo.. but thank God she likes the F360.. I'm thinking she only likes it cause it's cheaper. My supercharged boxster should be up for sale anytime soon now. Anyone interested?
pinoyfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #8

To preclude a future response..."I'll give you "two fiddy" for it!!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #9

Insatiable

QUIT IT YOU GUYS!!!!
I'm green with envy. How do you think I feel at age 68 owning my first Porsche.
Still at least I'm not to old to dream!!
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
her step father pulls me aside and says "Watch it kid,I know what you do in Porsches,I used to have one." Moral of the story leave the Boxster at home for the first date if you are younger.
hey blinkwatt her step dad must be a midget, i have never score in any of my Boxsters, way too unconfortable and hard to jump that centre console, anyway he should've been happy there is no way you could have jumped at the back!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable
QUIT IT YOU GUYS!!!!
I'm green with envy. How do you think I feel at age 68 owning my first Porsche.
Still at least I'm not to old to dream!!
lol...thanks for the that lol. I must say it's always nice to take out a lady in the Porsche. I got the car 2 years ago when I was 23 and I have to say I've gotten less action since I got the car than when I was in college. That probably has more to do with going out to the bars alot less than the car itself. I must say though even though the car only does 0-60 in 5.3 sec the panties drop in 3.8 once they get the Porsche ride!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #12

Hahaha nice story, Adam. I have had some choice moments with the 987, but funny enough, not two months after buying it I ended up with a steady girlfriend. The car didn't have much to do with it either, surprisingly.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #13

Don't be down on yourself, times are changing, kids are getting younger and richer, no way in hell would I have thought I'd be where I am now at 28. Retiring at 30 is nowadays a possibility. Still crossing my fingers! My brother is just turning 20 and owns his own house!!!! Sure he wanted a porsche.. but I didn'l let him, I guaranteed to him though he would have his Ferrari by 25. There are just so many oppotunities now compared to the past.
pinoyfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #14

I plan on buying a house by 23, 993 or Boxster S(havent decided) at 25, 360 Modena at 30.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #15

????

Wow,
Must be nice to have been born with a silver spoon in you mouth....or not....how the hell can you afford that at that age? Or am I too old to figure that out? Sorry to sound judgemental, but I've never been rich , and that just doesn't sound possible without a little help from somewhere else....Not that theres anything wrong with having some dough.....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #16

I've been lucky enough to have one of the first ever build Z4 at the age of 18. Now, being in college the Z4 attracted more than enough attention. I must admit, girls and guys would comment on the car saying how beatiful it looks.

Fast forward 3 years and the Z4 is gone and switched with a slightly used (7000 miles) 2004 triple black 986S. I fell in love with the car at first sight and at first test drive.

I am 21 now, close friends and mostly guys would comment on the car more now than girls. I don't know, the Z4 was more modern, more new - besides a common girl/lady would never notice a 986 from a 987...so I havent received so many comments by girls.

What I am trying to say is that while Porsche cars are more superior to BMW cars, the "bimmer" marketing always wins. I dont know maybe I am completely wrong but these apply to Charlotte, North Carolina where I live currently and with an average age radious of 18-24. Heck, some girl did not even know what a Porsche is!

While its always good to get good comments, I have passed the immature state. I now enjoy my driving and I understand the difference between cars. I do not like to promote them to get a girl. I think of it since I am fortunate enough to have one at this young age, just like you are getting dressed up to go out and you wear your good clothes, I also "wear" my good car.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #17

Its not like my parents buy me anything except the food in the house I eat. I work almost 40 hours a week for $9 a hour w/benefits and my side job for eBay. I'm lucky enough to know how to manage my money at a young age(18). I think many young people would have more money to live a higher quality life if they realize a couple of things;moving out as soon as you are 18 is one of the worst finicial decisions you can make and they should be riding out their parents until 22 or 23 if possible (you NEVER see the rent money again,instead it could be saved for a down payment on a house). All this technology,iPods and such are waste in my opinoin because they all devalue fast and instead they money should be put into the stock market(I will venture in this area shortly).
Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #18

I get the gears from my neighbours, family and friends too, I know how it is. I'm 29 and my wife 26 and we own a pretty nice house, have the Boxster and a Jetta that's all done up too.. I have the Talon and bikes and a lot of other fancy crap in the house (Plasma Tv's really nice furnature etc..) so people always assume that my parents bought it for me or the Boxster is my dad's car etc..

Honestly it kinda stucks, because we work hard and make good money and spend it wisely and because of that have nice things. People always assume that my parents bought it for me or that its a rental etc.. It's really a pain in the ass.

On the contrary I moved out at 18 and it taught me to control my money better. I find kids who live at home waste their money on things like cars and never learn to save it. I'm not saying that is your situation blinkwatt however it is the case of many kids your age. I'm a licensed Investment Consultant for Canada's leading investment bank and see kids waste their money all the time on dumb stuff. It seems the first thing they do when done school is take a 30k loan for a car they don't need and can't afford or worse yet lease it.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Its not like my parents buy me anything except the food in the house I eat. I work almost 40 hours a week for $9 a hour w/benefits and my side job for eBay. I'm lucky enough to know how to manage my money at a young age(18). I think many young people would have more money to live a higher quality life if they realize a couple of things;moving out as soon as you are 18 is one of the worst finicial decisions you can make and they should be riding out their parents until 22 or 23 if possible (you NEVER see the rent money again,instead it could be saved for a down payment on a house). All this technology,iPods and such are waste in my opinoin because they all devalue fast and instead they money should be put into the stock market(I will venture in this area shortly).
I suppose if it works for you. But I'd like to point out a couple of things.

First, your parents really do pay for alot more than just the food you eat - they also pay for where you live (no small expense).

Second, I don't consider "living with the parents" so you can buy a Porsche to be money management - I consider that to be "sponging". Don't get me wrong, you're 18, I don't see anything wrong with living at home at 18 provided that you're still in school or going to college. If you're not in school then you need to get your own place and start paying your own expenses. You've got enough money to buy, maintain, upgrade, and insure a Porche but not move out or help out with rent?

Third, how much money can you possibly be "managing" at $9/hr plus Ebay? But hey, I guess it's easy to "manage money" when you sponge off your parents.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with your plan.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #20

Ha,you think I plan on keeping the Raley's job at $9 a hour? Im currently doing my real estate training as we speek. eBay makes me alot more then alot of you guys would expect. Who said I was "sponging" off my parents to have a Porsche? I know that paying rent is stupid if you dont have to because I have already lived on my own before. When you buy a house you may see the money again someday,where as in the case of paying rent you NEVER see the money again. Did you guys ever consider that maybe I do certain things like stay in school,maintain the house,watch siblings, and pick up brothers and sisters to stay in the house? It not like I live at home and do nothing.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-02-2006 at 02:50 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote