Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
What is this steel cable for? Thanks.
Hi,

Porsche calls it a Retaining Cable, while Bentley calls it a Passenger Safety Cable.

In either case, it is looped through a receiver, which is bolted to the Engine Block at one end, and bolted to the Rear Axle Support ('U' shaped crossmember) on the other end. From the looks of it, it would keep the Engine from falling and scraping the ground should the Engine or Transmission Mounts fail. If that were to occur, I doubt this would be your biggest problem, especially if at high speed...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
FWIW, I raised my car a couple of weeks ago at the point shown on the Rainy Day site to get the car on jackstands, and had no ill effects.

Hi,

Doesn't surprise me at all. But, I'd never use it (or the other jack point) for anything but placing the car on stands. I'm a little safety conscious, maybe even excessively so, but I also always also lay a Tire/Wheel under the car at the stand(s) so in the event that the stands failed and the car dropped, the wheel will carry the weight. I might be trapped, but not crushed.

Actually happened once when working on a friend's MGBGT with some rather dubious stands he owned, one collapsed - scared the ******************** outta me I can tell you...

Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #23

To my statement:
"I suspect you didn't get under your Boxster and look around, or it would be clear and obvious that there are two places that could be mistaken for each other."
Jim wrote:
"<- WTF is this?? I was just under it last week changing Oil and Plugs for winter storage, FWI."

Hmmm... no happy pills at your house?

If you'll look back over my last several posts, I have written a couple of times about the two different points, how they look, and how they can be identified. The pics even clearly show two totally different places. Notice how there are no cats and muffler in the Bentley manual pic, but they are clearly visible in the rainy day pic.
You still came back and stated "There is only one 'U' shaped (sort of) cross member under the car, and it is clearly shown in both pics. I raise my car similarly to the pic shown from the Rainy Day website, but this is the same area described in the 2nd pic..."

The fact that you wrote the quote above made it appear that you've spent very little quality time under your Boxster. That's all I said.

I have removed the sheet metal brace and diagonal braces on mine twice now... once for the inner and outer CV boot replacement, and once for the transmission oil change. I'm quite familiar with that whole area. Even so, I did see the difference the first time before I even attempted to jack it up. Maybe I just read carefully, study the pictures, and am more observant than some.

Have a great day!
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
FWIW, I raised my car a couple of weeks ago at the point shown on the Rainy Day site to get the car on jackstands, and had no ill effects.
I wouldn't do it. Porsche doesn't reccomend it, and the Bentley people don't either, at least in print. With the sheet metal brace removed, that rear point feels very flimsy.

I wonder how much that sheet metal brace, U shaped rear crossmember, and whatever else gets crunched is going to cost when it does fold up?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Hmmm... no happy pills at your house?
Whatever... if you must know, I have had my car up numerous times (maybe more than you from the sound of it if that matters) using the Rear Axle Support to raise the car with a Floor Jack to get the stands under it, with several Oil Changes, Plugs change, Brake Fluid Changes, and a Tip S Fluid, Filter and Gasket change...

Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Whatever... if you must know, I have had my car up numerous times (maybe more than you from the sound of it if that matters) using the Rear Axle Support to raise the car with a Floor Jack to get the stands under it, with several Oil Changes, Plugs change, Brake Fluid Changes, and a Tip S Fluid, Filter and Gasket change...

Jesus, Jim... you don't always have to have the last word.

And I didn't ask, so I didn't need to know. But it sure seems strange that, with all the times you say you've had you car in the air and have been under it, you still didn't know that there are those two totally different points that look similar but serve a totally different function. In fact, you said there was only one. "There is only one 'U' shaped (sort of) cross member under the car, and it is clearly shown in both pics."

Oh well... nobody's perfect.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #27

So, did anyone ever determine if it's safe to use rear-most jack point (Rainy Day pic)?

I only ask because I jacked my car up today using the "Rainy Day" point, and I'm now worried that I did damage.

I'm hopeful that there will be no ill effects, and I will never use that point again.
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #28

can someone re-post a picture of the proper rear jacking point as the link in this thread is not working anymore

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote