Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 10:02 PM   #1

Getting the car up on jack stands?

Have searched threads and find a car on stands but not sure how to get it there. Should one side be lifted, put stands under that side and then lift the other side? Or are there jacking points at the front and rear of the car? I am planning on lifting the car to paint the brake calipers and also clean the inside of the wheels. When the car is on the jack stands is it steady or are there safety measures to use like leaving the jack at one point? Thanks for your help in advance.

coachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #2

When Lifting from the back of the car you can put a hydralic jack under the center of the car (check the manual there is a specific point) and then place the jack stands at the rear jacking points in front of the rear wheels. This is very steady. I just did the same thing. The front to me was alittle tricky (if you check threads here some jack at the jack point behind the front tire and then place the stand next to the jack then lower to the stand) I couldn't get this to work well as not enough room with my jack. Although as I raised one side the other side raises too so I put the jack stand on the other side then lower. I do my work then just switch. I haven't read where you can center jack from the front. Hopefully someone wil add as I need to get the front up in the air and safe to change my fuel filter next.... Hope this helps
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #3

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/jack/jack.html

Here are some instructions I have successfully used, but instead of the block of wood, I bought a "practice" hockey puck, which is a little spongier.

Hope this helps, good luck with the brakes, I did mine last year and they turned out great!!
Kevlar986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:48 AM   #4

a little more detail please

Once you get the back end up should you then do the front one side at a time? This seems like it would kind of twist the front end. Also, from what you have written I should use the center jack point in the back and then insert jack stands then lift the front one side at a time, is this correct? Just want to get this right. I found a nice floor jack with low clearance and am anxious to use it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachb
Once you get the back end up should you then do the front one side at a time? This seems like it would kind of twist the front end. Also, from what you have written I should use the center jack point in the back and then insert jack stands then lift the front one side at a time, is this correct? Just want to get this right. I found a nice floor jack with low clearance and am anxious to use it.
When I replaced my CV boots, I jacked the front first, one side at a time, then did the rear in the center. I don't think it matters which end you do first. It does twist the car a bit doing the front one side at a time, but that doesn't hurt anything for the few minutes it's that way. After all, Porsche supplies you a single jack to change your tire on the 986, and it only jacks up one corner at a time, just like every other car ever made.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #6

Coach I dont think it matters front first or back. Agree with jackG.. The back seems easiser to do first as you can put you jack under and put both jack stands in and your done. I dont have a low profile hyd. jack so all I did was jack up one side (back) different jack then put my hyd jack under the rear. Saved me from buying a low profile jack. I still think the front is a pain.... I cheated but not the safest of ways and only put the one jack stand in and used the jack as the other.. I stuck an old tire under the side to catch if the jack failed. i hope someone posts a better way or a front jacking point I searched around without any luck... Put a good coat of wax in those inner fender wells help keep the dirt and crap off for awhile. I also cleaned the rear drain vent in the passenger rear. Take the plastic off in front of the rear tire and you'll find it mine had some crap stuck in it. Good Luck ......
2000 V Star 1100
Old 03-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #7

Rear center jack point?

My manual (1997) does not show a jack point in the rear center of the car? Can anyone post a picture of that point or explain where it is. Just don't want to do something stupid and get the wrong spot.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #8

Coach no pic sorry.. Look under car rear steel bottom plate you'll see two bolts h approx 2-3 inches apart thats the spot. use the hockey puck or something to protect the area. Hard to miss... Good luck

BTW check the threads here for the web site to download the shop manual for free in adobe. I assume you don't have the Bentley manual the jack point is in there. I would reccommend the Bentley if your going to work on the car it really helps.
2000 V Star 1100

Last edited by BadBoyS; 04-02-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #9

I saw that coachb got his answer elsewhere (at least one version of an answer.) Rainy Day magazine had a tech day with the Bentley manual guys. It's a pretty interesting website. Pics from the tech day are located here:

Rainy Day Garage TechFest
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #10

Don't jack there!

I noticed that this thread was referenced from the other jacking thread, and I then saw the picture above. That is NOT the rear jack point that the Bentley manual suggests to use.

The point in this picture is the flimsy support bar that is just in front of the muffler. It's only about 1 inch square tubing, and doesn't appear to be very substantial.

The Bentley manual suggests using the rear axle support, which is directly between the rear wheels. It also has two bolt heads a couple of inches apart that attach the rear sheet metal brace, similar to where this picture is taken. But it is on the axle support, which is FAR more substantial and is tied directly into the car's "frame".

edit: after following the "rainy day" link in that post, the picture is supposed to be from a Bentley event. However, that's not what the manual shows (to the best of my memory), and it's defintely not how I did it. I'm traveling right now, or I'd have a look at the manual again. I remember it showing the axle support to be the jack point, where the metal cable loop runs through. You can see that in a picture further down the page. Someone have a Bentley manual and want to take a look? Otherwise, I'll be home Friday night.

Last edited by JackG; 11-01-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
I noticed that this thread was referenced from the other jacking thread, and I then saw the picture above. That is NOT the rear jack point that the Bentley manual suggests to use.

The point in this picture is the flimsy support bar that is just in front of the muffler. It's only about 1 inch square tubing, and doesn't appear to be very substantial.

The Bentley manual suggests using the rear axle support, which is directly between the rear wheels. It also has two bolt heads a couple of inches apart that attach the rear sheet metal brace, similar to where this picture is taken. But it is on the axle support, which is FAR more substantial and is tied directly into the car's "frame".

edit: after following the "rainy day" link in that post, the picture is supposed to be from a Bentley event. However, that's not what the manual shows (to the best of my memory), and it's defintely not how I did it. I'm traveling right now, or I'd have a look at the manual again. I remember it showing the axle support to be the jack point, where the metal cable loop runs through. You can see that in a picture further down the page. Someone have a Bentley manual and want to take a look? Otherwise, I'll be home Friday night.

I think this is the picture you are talking about.
Bentley Pg:03-4
http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4420&stc=1
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
I saw that coachb got his answer elsewhere (at least one version of an answer.) Rainy Day magazine had a tech day with the Bentley manual guys. It's a pretty interesting website. Pics from the tech day are located here:

Rainy Day Garage TechFest

Most thing I like about this guide is at the end, pizza!!
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis

Very nice... thank you. You can see that the two pictures are of totally different chassis locations, and this one (not the rainy day event pic) would be the more robust and best place to lift the car. The "rainy day" website is just plain wrong... maybe even dangerous.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Very nice... thank you. You can see that the two pictures are of totally different chassis locations, and this one (not the rainy day event pic) would be the more robust and best place to lift the car. The "rainy day" website is just plain wrong... maybe even dangerous.

Hi,

Yep, that's the place. It's also a good idea to place an 8" or 12" piece of 2X4 between the Jack Saddle and the cross brace to better distribute the load, especially if you're gonna keep it on the Jack for any appreciable time...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #15

Good catch, JackG. To all, I'm sorry I perpetuated bad information and thankful for the knowledgable and observant participants on this forum.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Good catch, JackG...
Hi,

Actually, I'm not so sure. I believe it's the same picture, only from a different angle. There is only one 'U' shaped (sort of) cross member under the car, and it is clearly shown in both pics. I raise my car similarly to the pic shown from the Rainy Day website, but this is the same area described in the 2nd pic...

Old 11-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Actually, I'm not so sure. I believe it's the same picture, only from a different angle. There is only one 'U' shaped (sort of) cross member under the car, and it is clearly shown in both pics. I raise my car similarly to the pic shown from the Rainy Day website, but this is the same area described in the 2nd pic...

Sorry, but that's wrong, Jim. There are two U shaped members under the car... the rear axle support with the steel cable loop, which is the correct jack point, and the little cross member just in front of the muffler, which is the one shown in the rainy day photo. Heck, the rainy day photo even describes it as the one just in front of the muffler, which is wrong.

I suspect you didn't get under your Boxster and look around, or it would be clear and obvious that there are two places that could be mistaken for each other. Think of them as the front and rear attachment points for the sheet metal brace (the flat pan) that covers the rear section of the car. The rear attachment point is just in front of the muffler to a small cross member. The front attachment point is at the axle support where the cable loop is. Each has two bolts. The front point, between the wheels, on the front end of the sheet metal brace, far away from the muffler, is the correct jack point.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, but that's wrong, Jim. There are two U shaped members under the car... the rear axle support with the steel cable loop, which is the correct jack point, and the little cross member just in front of the muffler, which is the one shown in the rainy day photo. Heck, the rainy day photo even describes it as the one just in front of the muffler, which is wrong.

I suspect you didn't get under your Boxster and look around, or it would be clear and obvious that there are two places that could be mistaken for each other. <- WTF is this?? I was just under it last week changing Oil and Plugs for winter storage, FWI. Think of them as the front and rear attachment points for the sheet metal brace (the flat pan) that covers the rear section of the car. The rear attachment point is just in front of the muffler to a small cross member. The front attachment point is at the axle support where the cable loop is. Each has two bolts. The front point, between the wheels, on the front end of the sheet metal brace, far away from the muffler, is the correct jack point.
Hi,

Jack, I just came in from crawling under my car and you are right, I was wrong. These are indeed 2 different areas, though they looked the same to me. I have always used the Box Beam 'U' shaped crossmember whern raising the car to set my stands at the jack plates as described in the Bentley Manual.

After a thorough inspection, if you're only raising the car to place the stands under it, I suspect that this incorrect jack point will also work. This piece is a fairly substantial 'U' shaped I Beam and I believe it would carry the weight. Clearly this is what the Rainy Day pic shows.

My choice would still be to use the crossmember which is forward to the one in the Rainy Day pic, because I think the crossmember is better situated under most of the rear weight. But, I think the other would work as well.

One final thing, I would never use either of these lift points for anything other than raising the car to place proper stands in the proper locations...

Happy Motoring... Jim'99
Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #19
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis

What is this steel cable for? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Jack, I just came in from crawling under my car and you are right, I was wrong. These are indeed 2 different areas, though they looked the same to me. I have always used the Box Beam 'U' shaped crossmember whern raising the car to set my stands at the jack plates as described in the Bentley Manual.

After a thorough inspection, if you're only raising the car to place the stands under it, I suspect that this incorrect jack point will also work. This piece is a fairly substantial 'U' shaped I Beam and I believe it would carry the weight. Clearly this is what the Rainy Day pic shows.

My choice would still be to use the crossmember which is forward to the one in the Rainy Day pic, because I think the crossmember is better situated under most of the rear weight. But, I think the other would work as well.

One final thing, I would never use either of these lift points for anything other than raising the car to place proper stands in the proper locations...

Happy Motoring... Jim'99
FWIW, I raised my car a couple of weeks ago at the point shown on the Rainy Day site to get the car on jackstands, and had no ill effects.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote