Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2022, 04:47 AM   #1

I cheated

I cheated on my Boxster yesterday. I'll be 65 in December. I won't retire but I'm going to slow down maybe 40 hours instead of the 70 or so I've worked in the last 20 years. I went Corvette shopping yesterday. I just love the looks and sound of the C8. I don't think I need a Z06, a nicely optioned Stingray would be a fine semiretirement gift to me. I've been a bachelor for 29 years. I've saved more than 50 percent of everything I've made in the last 20 years. I haven't made a car payment since 1978. I'll just write a ripper. If I change my mind I can sell my spot in line or just take delivery and sell the car to some lotto winner for a profit. I ordered a new 2500HD in May still don't have that. That has me concerned. They say the C8 is better delivery experience. You can at least track the progress. Soo looks like later this year there should be a real nice 2002 S coming up for sale. I could keep it and buy a lift for storage. My 40x56 barn is full of toys now. I only have so much time. I'm thinking that dark gray????

MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #2

Nice! Maybe I'll do the same, but probably with a C9

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
JDMsurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:10 PM   #3

Good for you and congratulations!
I think the new vette is a great looking car and a true bargain, even over MSRP. Apparently I've had mid-engine cars my whole driving life as I've had X-1/9's, MR2's and multiple Boxsters. Gotta say that the new Vette is on my radar!

Can you imagine if you could actually order a pretty much base Vette and get it for MSRP of $65K? What a bargain! 5 year old Cayman or Boxster S's cost that kind of coin!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:47 AM   #4

Congrats on your semi-retirement and upcoming full retirement, along with you being fiscally responsible when it comes to your future. Believe me, once you're fully retired you'll never want to go back.

As far as cheating and going to a Corvette... Do what makes you happy. Don't worry about what others think. But keep in mind, moving up 20 yrs in technology is like going from a tricycle to a rocket. There was a leap (albeit a small one) from a 986 to a 987 and a bigger leap to a 981. Anything 20 yrs newer will be light yrs ahead. Shop around a bit in that $65 price range and see what's available. autotempest.com lets you modify your search to find multiple options that fit your requirements. Maybe you'll circle back the the C8, maybe you'll find something else.

Here's an option.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1285760

The journey can be as much fun as the destination.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-04-2022 at 05:44 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:09 AM   #5

Yes ; thank you Huck. I read all you posts and I value your opinion. I know you are a "car guy". I realize the move up will be a huge one. I will miss the manual, but 30 some years of construction have not done my knees any favors. Clutching is painfull some days. I have not pulled the trigger as yet. I want to learn more before I do. I've always been a GM guy but they never had a car like the Porsche 986. What a value. The C8 is that and then some. You just don't see any bad reviews. Maybe delivery or dealer complaints but the cars are stellar. I've been dreaming of this since they started talking about the mid engine vett. The dealer I'm working with, I have bought my last 3 new trucks from. Including one on order. As a matter of customer loyalty they will sell me one MSRP. I'm at 74k OTD right now. I put up a sizable deposit and get on a list. Once I'm 3 months out I can pick colors and options. I'm currently building a new home for me that will have a heated 3 stall garage. One for my truck, one for my grocery getter SRX, one for my sports car. For me its all about the driving experiance. I sold my last Harley last spring. This is it, I probably have 10 more goods years left then who knows. And that is not a given. I'm pretty conservative but thats how I got in the position I'm in. The other joy will be when I go to the grandkids birthday party and roll up in my new race car. See my x and her new Hubby come rolling in with their 2003 Dodge caravan. Sort of icing on the cake if you know what I mean.
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Hey mrben, have you driven the c8 yet? I've not driven or seen many reviews on the stingray, but the base model has been criticized for lack of polishing when it comes to the finer aspects of driving - suspension settings, cornering performance, steering, and braking (both the feedback from the brake by wire as well as the and functionality). Not only that but production quality issues have plagued the car from day 1, not to mention the cluster**************** that is the entirety of the mfg process.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic American interpretation of a Ferrari 458 and for the price it's absolutely the best deal on a super(ish)car out there. As a fellow GM guy though (3500 and escalade in the stalls) I've learned to temper my expectations from the company.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2022, 05:48 PM   #7

@ike84 i don't want to get into a whole thing about this, but I have certainly not heard - nor expereinced - a lack of polish in the C8. In fact I've been pleasantly suprised by the build quality in the examples I've driven/ridden in. I have criticzed the car as the styling is a little bit unoriginal - and GM can do original - but other than mho on the looks this is a screaming bargain. Again and again. Is a Cayman GT4 more focused? Yes. Would you rather drive it every day, in traffic, over **************** roads, etc.? I think not
safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:12 PM   #8

Heh heh, I'm turning 65 in a couple of days and I've done more than cheat. I've got an order in for a GT4, it's supposed to be delivered at the end of July, but I expect there will be some delays. Was a bit torn between the GT4 and the Cayman GTS 4.0, but an allocation for a GT4 became available, and in the end I decided I would always wonder if I should have bought a GT4 every time I go to the track, which is only 3-5x per year. If I own it as long as I've owned my 2003 S, it will be the last Porsche or sports car I buy.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Heh heh, I'm turning 65 in a couple of days and I've done more than cheat. I've got an order in for a GT4, it's supposed to be delivered at the end of July, but I expect there will be some delays. Was a bit torn between the GT4 and the Cayman GTS 4.0, but an allocation for a GT4 became available, and in the end I decided I would always wonder if I should have bought a GT4 every time I go to the track, which is only 3-5x per year. If I own it as long as I've owned my 2003 S, it will be the last Porsche or sports car I buy.
Double congrats Paul! Life is short, enjoy every min of it. Maybe you'll have your GT4 before I get my engine back.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Double congrats Paul! Life is short, enjoy every min of it. Maybe you'll have your GT4 before I get my engine back.
Thanks Husker! I hope yours is back on the road soon. The six months I was without my Boxster S while its engine was being made into a 3.6 getting Nickies installed and then rebuilt, seemed like it was never going to end!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Good for you and congratulations!! No looking back and enjoy the h_ll out of it!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote