Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #1

Thumbs up desnorkel the real story

desnorkled my Boxster last night.
Wife wanted a "sportier" sound (amazing, you have the perfect car and you always want to tweak it more). Aftermarket exhaust is too expensive, and this is free so decided to try it.
Directions - got the directions with pictures from this forum, but I did it a little different. I loosened the whole case, then took a slim screwdriver and pushed the plastic tabs out of the metal clips. Then the whole thing, case & grill came out.
It was VERY hard pulling the plastic (snorkel) tube out. But I finally got it.
Reversible? - for those who asked, yes it can be reveresed if you don't like it. Just push the plastic tube back in.
Noticeable Difference? - it was true what they said on this forum, don't notice it till you get over 4000 RPM. I did not hear it till I was in 2nd gear (over 4000 rpm) ready to shift to 3rd gear. Definitely a "throatier" sound. It did sound pretty cool.
Hurt your car? - I don't think so. maybe water getting in there with a high powered jet (like a car wash), but you would be a fool anyway taking it to a car wash. Spoke with Mechanic, he said the only problem is that your Check Engine Light will come on because it senses a problem with the intake. So you will not know when you actually have an engine problem as your light is always on.
Is It Worth It? - It is free, takes 10 minutes and is reversible. what have you got to lose? Just don't expect a huge difference. Just a 'sportier' sound when you are "gunning" it.
anyone who would like to comment on this, please reply back. Thanks.

2kBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #2

Hi,

I agree with everything you say.

I don't agree with your Mechanic however about it triggering a CEL. The Snorkel is upstream of the only sensor between it and the actual Manifold and this is the MAF Sensor. It's only job is to report the Mass of Air flowing past it so the DME can select a appropriate A/F MAP for the Timing and Injector Cycle.

The Side Intake is neither a Ram or NACA Duct so no additional airflow is created by removing the Snorkle, in fact, I suspect if anything, you get a slight pressure (not Mass) drop. You also have the Air Filter between the Intake and the MAF which mitigates any unusual (if any) increased turbulent effect.

If you get a CEL after de-snorkleling, it's either coincidental (something was about to go anyway) or you jogged something loose when yanking on the Snorkle. I de-Snorkled mine 4k mi. ago with no ill effects or CEL whatever. It's simply a noise abatement device...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #3

The noise change you heard was only coincidental.

Did you test the affect before hand and after with an SLM (Sound Level Meter) at the least (if not a DSLM or ISLM)?

2kBoxster doesn't tell us whether he took a shower after desnorkeling and/or q-tipped his ears. But because working on the car will generally make one dirty I'm going to jump to the conclusion that he did shower and may have had a decrease in ear-wax-density (I'd like to see density measurements in kilograms per cubic metre).

How about the affect of the psychology of desnorkeling on the actual experience? Did 2kBoxster conclude that the sound was indeed "throatier" over 4000 RPMs because his wife was pushing him for a "sportier" sounding exhaust? Human perception of loudness follows a logarithmic scale. Most people will find the change of 3dB just perceptible. How much was the change induced by desnorkeling? How about the sound pressure? relative to say a reference sound pressure of 20 micropascals?

I'm sorry 2kBoxster, but we're going to have to dismiss your post, but thanks for contributing !! And what the hell would your mechanic know about engine management systems? He only works on Porsches for a living, which hardly qualifies him as an expert on Porsches.

Now where's that 987 guinea-pig?....

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #4

SD, you've instantly messed up 2k's self esteem. It's not about HP, and it's not even about the realities of whether desnorkeling is louder. it's about making his wife happy by doing something free to make the car sound--or appear to sound--louder. Perception is reality.

There's no urgent need to destroy someone's perception here, is there?

If 2k and 2k's wife think it sounds louder, what's the harm?

I wanted a louder engine and went to the trouble to desnorkel myself... and wouldn't you know it, one of the previous two owners beat me to it! Dang. It's as loud as its gonna get without spending money.

Hence, my quest for a used muffler I can take to a muffler shop and get me some of those bypass pipes welded onto it to make it FAR LOUDER.

Hey, you know what all this reminds me of? We can stick our noses up in the air because we own Porsches, but the truth remains. We still have a little ricer in us that wants a louder sound eminating from our cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Hey, you know what all this reminds me of? We can stick our noses up in the air because we own Porsches, but the truth remains. We still have a little ricer in us that wants a louder sound eminating from our cars.
You couldn't be more right. I just have to chuckle everytime I read comments about those "ricers" and their modifications. Hell, half of this board is about modifications including making the car louder!

So, what exactly is the difference between the guy who puts a big tail-pipe on their Honda Civic and the Boxster guy who does a bypass? Oh yeah, the other guy's a poseur but the Boxster guy well he owns a Porsche damn'it so it's different!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #6

hehe uh, y'all might want to go check this thread out if you want to wrap your head around SD987's response:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5316
Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #7

Thanks Eslai, you are correct...I was just having some leftover fun from the desnorkeling thread a couple of days ago.

Randall, you're entirely correct, my criticism, had it been serious would be entirely without merit, not to mention mean-spirited.

Besides, i'ts not like 2kBox did something really cragee like put a "mach schnell" sticker on his deployable spoiler or something.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Besides, i'ts not like 2kBox did something really cragee like put a "mach schnell" sticker on his deployable spoiler or something.
Classic....lol

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
bmussatti

SD987...I think Jim (MNBoxster) is on his way down to San Diego...to open a can of whup-ass on you!!