View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
2kBoxster

Thumbs up desnorkel the real story

desnorkled my Boxster last night.
Wife wanted a "sportier" sound (amazing, you have the perfect car and you always want to tweak it more). Aftermarket exhaust is too expensive, and this is free so decided to try it.
Directions - got the directions with pictures from this forum, but I did it a little different. I loosened the whole case, then took a slim screwdriver and pushed the plastic tabs out of the metal clips. Then the whole thing, case & grill came out.
It was VERY hard pulling the plastic (snorkel) tube out. But I finally got it.
Reversible? - for those who asked, yes it can be reveresed if you don't like it. Just push the plastic tube back in.
Noticeable Difference? - it was true what they said on this forum, don't notice it till you get over 4000 RPM. I did not hear it till I was in 2nd gear (over 4000 rpm) ready to shift to 3rd gear. Definitely a "throatier" sound. It did sound pretty cool.
Hurt your car? - I don't think so. maybe water getting in there with a high powered jet (like a car wash), but you would be a fool anyway taking it to a car wash. Spoke with Mechanic, he said the only problem is that your Check Engine Light will come on because it senses a problem with the intake. So you will not know when you actually have an engine problem as your light is always on.
Is It Worth It? - It is free, takes 10 minutes and is reversible. what have you got to lose? Just don't expect a huge difference. Just a 'sportier' sound when you are "gunning" it.
anyone who would like to comment on this, please reply back. Thanks.
2kBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote