Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #21

Its because of great owners like you, we have a healthy selection of nice used cars to choose from.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
...Lately I have noticed quite a few members buying pre-owned Boxsters, usually model years 1999 to 2003 and have begun to wonder what the reason is, other than price, that attracts buyer to those specific model years.

If I had to guess as to one of the reasons prospective buyers like models from the early 2000s, it may be the interior. Beginning with model year 2005, Porsche completely redesigned the cockpit of the Boxster. Personally, I don't care for the redesign; I don't like the round vents, and there is just a bit too much chrome-painted plastic throughout for my tastes. I understand that many like the updated interior design over the old, so to each his own.
I'm not an original owner- but you are asking a question I can answer as a used buyer. BTW- your car is awesome.

I started out looking at a boxster simply because they seemed like a good value. So my first searches were based on price only. That led me to find many decent cars (and a few junkers) under 10k. When you think about the quality of the car - 10k buys a lot in a Boxster. Then a further refinement -- it had to be an ‘S’ model.

I decided that for another 4-5k$, the cars took a big leap and I narrowed it down to a 2003/2004. I wasn’t looking for Lexus grade interior with all the latest gizmos- more of a classic roadster - basic. Good lines and leather.

The biggest draw to me is the mid engine design and the similarity (in my own mind) to the iconic 550.

The drivability of a Boxster is really amazing. Now that I have one in the garage- the ‘S’ is no longer such a big deal- nor is the model year. I think the car to choose would be the one in the best condition you can find. Spend a little more than you were planning.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
I'm not an original owner- but you are asking a question I can answer as a used buyer. BTW- your car is awesome.

I started out looking at a boxster simply because they seemed like a good value. So my first searches were based on price only. That led me to find many decent cars (and a few junkers) under 10k. When you think about the quality of the car - 10k buys a lot in a Boxster. Then a further refinement -- it had to be an ‘S’ model.

I decided that for another 4-5k$, the cars took a big leap and I narrowed it down to a 2003/2004. I wasn’t looking for Lexus grade interior with all the latest gizmos- more of a classic roadster - basic. Good lines and leather.

The biggest draw to me is the mid engine design and the similarity (in my own mind) to the iconic 550.

The drivability of a Boxster is really amazing. Now that I have one in the garage- the ‘S’ is no longer such a big deal- nor is the model year. I think the car to choose would be the one in the best condition you can find. Spend a little more than you were planning.
Thanks for the response, and the explanation. Makes sense.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Aluminum E-Brake --> I really could need some info here, how to "rip" the handle off
Foot Well Lights --> Original ones? How did you connect them?
Easy stuff;

For the E-Brake swap - Replacing the Handbrake - Porsche Boxster (986) FAQ

The foot well lights are an add on and are wired to the center map light at the top of the windshield. They operate in conjunction with the map light. The $700 OEM option has a relay and a switch on the left side of the radio. Mine doesn't.

OEM light switch;

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Easy stuff;

For the E-Brake swap - Replacing the Handbrake - Porsche Boxster (986) FAQ

The foot well lights are an add on and are wired to the center map light at the top of the windshield. They operate in conjunction with the map light. The $700 OEM option has a relay and a switch on the left side of the radio. Mine doesn't.
Thanks Chuck.
E-Brake: Actually I just want to swap the leather handle of my E-Brake and the only info I have so far is to use brute force
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just a handful original owners so far, hmmmm
Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #27

Garage
Original family

While I am not the original owner, I stole the car from my Mother and Step-Father a couple years back. Still have all the original documents, Window Sticker, reviews, brochure, etc.

I daily drive her now, and it makes every day a joy. Of course it helps living in Florida.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #28

Garage
Guess I may as well chime in here

Purchased my '01 S new in June 2001. The length of winters here make me wonder how the local Porsche dealer makes ends meet. Short..ish summers and my job can make it tough to take her out as much as I'd like.

Currently 23,000 km's/ 14,290 mi's on the odometer. Have a local indy who is a Porsche master mechanic (and certified by LN Engineering to perform IMSB retrofits). He keeps a close eye on everything for me and I'm happy to have him near by.

She looks and drives like new. I have two years left to retirement and I'll be moving to Vancouver Island....lots of great driving roads there and I'm guessing 10 months of the year of decent driving weather.

Can't wait :dance:
Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Hey... for the 986 your talking 10 to 17 years. Most marriages don't last that long much less keeping a car you bought new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Purchased my '01 S new in June 2001.

Currently 23,000 km's/ 14,290 mi's on the odometer.

I have two years left to retirement
WOW... 14,000 miles. And I though I was low at 23,000.

I retired 3 years ago. You will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
While I am not the original owner, I stole the car from my Mother and Step-Father a couple years back.
It is all in the family.... close enough.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #30

Garage
Thanks Chuck, great you're enjoying retirement. Comes a point where you really do feel that you've earned it.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #31
Gone

Garage
Quote:
I don't spend time on forums about my older original cars either.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #32
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
I don't spend time on forums about my older original cars either.
Dito, as i don't really care much about my "daily workhorse original cars" (as they aren't PORSCHE)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #33

Awesome looking car! :dance:

Now somebody tell me how to get the word Porsche on the back of my trunk like that . . . ?

Is the word Boxster smaller, too?

That's really cool, and I want it.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #34
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Awesome looking car! :dance:

Now somebody tell me how to get the word Porsche on the back of my trunk like that . . . ?

Is the word Boxster smaller, too?

That's really cool, and I want it.
981 badge
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #35
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Chuck.
E-Brake: Actually I just want to swap the leather handle of my E-Brake and the only info I have so far is to use brute force
Yes, brute force. It helps to stick a small but long screwdriver (or something similar) in between the leather handle and e-brake from the front where the button is and work it around to loosen the adhesive.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #36

Original owner. Bought '99 Boxster in fall of '98. Long winters here and don't drive in the rain, so very low mileage - just under 7000 (under 4500 miles). Only modifications are iPod cable into back of original stereo and IMS upgrade (original bearing was perfect).
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #37
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yes, brute force. It helps to stick a small but long screwdriver (or something similar) in between the leather handle and e-brake from the front where the button is and work it around to loosen the adhesive.
Thank you, particlewave!