View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Allen

Any Original Owners

I've been reading this forum a lot but, admittedly, contributing very little in my 9 years as a member here. Lately I have noticed quite a few members buying pre-owned Boxsters, usually model years 1999 to 2003 and have begun to wonder what the reason is, other than price, that attracts buyer to those specific model years.

If I had to guess as to one of the reasons prospective buyers like models from the early 2000s, it may be the interior. Beginning with model year 2005, Porsche completely redesigned the cockpit of the Boxster. Personally, I don't care for the redesign; I don't like the round vents, and there is just a bit too much chrome-painted plastic throughout for my tastes. I understand that many like the updated interior design over the old, so to each his own.

I am the original owner of a 2004 base that I purchased from Holbert's Porsche in February of 2004. For those who may be interested, Bob Holbert was a Porsche race car driver in the 1960s and later one of the first Porsche dealers in the US.

In the 10 years I have owned my Box, I have clocked a total of 35,263 miles, so I don't drive it that much, 3 to 4 thousand miles a year, some years not even that many, and never in inclement weather or during Winter.

Over the years I have made a number of relatively minor adjustments and was quite surprised that, other than the headlights, I could do them all myself:

- Replaced standard headlights for litronic self-leveling lamps
- Replaced amber side markers for clears
- Replaced black rear bumpers for vehicle-colored ones
- Installed B & M short shifter
- Installed manual raise/lower spoiler switch
- Replaced center console for vehicle-colored one, ashtray delete
- Replaced ignition rosette for vehicle-colored one
- Placed '986' emblem on batwing
- installed speakers in compartment behind seat to give radio a fuller sound
- Debadged and then rebadged trunk

I like the TA style side skirts so I may be getting those soon as well.

My vehicle came with the PCM, 4-stalks, Porsche Emblem wheel crests and a number of other options, so I didn't have to have those done as well.

I ordered the hard top through the dealer as I didn't want to have to futz around trying to find one in my color later.

I currently have no plans to trade in my Box for a newer model. It is almost the perfect vehicle (for me) now, even though it is the very definition of a garage queen. Other than wear and tear on the paint, especially on the bonnet, I have had absolutely no problems with the vehicle whatsoever.

So original owners, chime in, and what have you done to your Boxster over the years?

Last edited by Allen; 05-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote