Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #41

I wish that VW had followed through with the GX3 concept. That would have been a very cool vehicle at an amazingly affordable price.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #42
Damn Yankee

Garage
"We've decided not a build a roadster below the Boxster, [and] we will not offer an SUV below the Macan because it will not be a perfect fit... We found that we would be irritating our current customers." - Bernhard Maier - Porsche AG Board Member for Global Sales and Marketing

TO

source: Porsche Panorama 684 - March 2014
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
"We found that we would be irritating our current customers." - Bernhard Maier - Porsche AG Board Member for Global Sales and Marketing
I hate to be a snob, but damn right--good choice. Sounds like a Porsche vs VW scrimmage match went down, and the bureaucrats lost. Maybe some things are still sacred.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #44
WALDMEISTER

Garage
...I actually hoped that PORSCHE would take over VOLKSWAGEN, BUT... wishing ain't gettin...

so we will see, what happens. I bet, if we are going to see an entry class PORSCHE below 40k, we definately won't see any Volkswagen or Audi competitor in that range anymore.

Is PORSCHE to become the new VOLKSWAGEN?

BTW: Look at the brakes...they could have done the photomontage a little bit better

Last edited by BRAN; 04-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #45

that looks fantastic.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Hey i stayed out of the smart car thread myself, but really is that my only grammar mistake? Pat on the back to myself! However, i would say that A. with the brand devaluation, i would never have been interested in old corvettes, until the new one came out, the new Cadillacs have impressed me as well with gm and blah blah blah. With the brand passion, for me Porsche's Motorsport performance is a given, but the number of times that the boxster has been rated best roadster and has been on car and drivers top 10 list is what i care about. With the Porsche cars, you are kinda right, i am all about what the journalist have to say about the brand i care for. There are Lancer Evo nuts that could care less about anything to do with rally history or anything, there passion is the street car, nothing to do with Motorsport. I really like the Macan, because it is best in class, all i am really after is Porsche being the best in this and the best in that, because i think it is safe to say that we all enjoy to associate with things considered as the best.
No, not only mistake, just the one that stood out to me the most. Anyway, I'm trying to understand what you said before the blah blah blah.

You said that "with brand devaluation, i would never have been interested..." -- ok, so what I take this to mean is that you have no free will, just follow trends and other people's input. Ok, so be it. To be honest, "value" is flexible and only determined by the amount person x will pay for something. We had to pay above asking to secure a house. Was it worth it? I dunno. We are happy (even with having to replace 2 water heaters, furnace repairs, yada yada yada) and not everything in life needs to balance in life. Being happy, is something I've paid for in the past and will overpay in the future. What else are you going to do with money?

You go on to say, "... the number of times that the boxster has been rated best roadster and has been on car and drivers top 10 list is what i care about..." -- so, if you are the example of a typical boxster buyer -- I think you already proved what I was saying earlier -- that a hypothetical concept car isn't going to devalue the boxster to the buyer or seller. Ok.

Finally, you close with, "I really like the Macan, because it is best in class, all i am really after is Porsche being the best in this and the best in that, because i think it is safe to say that we all enjoy to associate with things considered as the best." Now, here I disagree. I think it's nice that other people think it's best in class, but I'm more about making decisions based on my own opinions based on experience, research, and personal taste. Today, I dropped off my car for an oil change and was given a 2014 Panamera 4 to tool around town with (of course, only 50 miles of gas in the tank, but that's ok, I'm used to it). Lots of neat features, and I couldn't tell you whether it is best in anything, because I simply don't like the styling. So, if it is best in anything, it still won't be the car I buy. Also, it won't affect how I feel about my current car. But that's me.

Last edited by cfos; 04-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
By this logic not even new Porsche buyers should be complaining about any future cars. Once monies and auto have been exchanged the transaction is ended. They have no more say in what decisions Dr. P makes for the GT3 as the guy buying 300k mile 1999 Carrera for $9k.

People opine. That's what happens on internet forums.
Actually, that is precisely where all Porsche owners as well as Corvette, Rolls Royce or Miata owners should be whinging or cheering.
You know, I think we are in agreement. Each time I bought a Porsche (3x), I've bought new. I don't know that I find myself complaining about future cars. As for the GT3, I couldn't care less. I did see a 911(50) at the dealership, and I did like it. But GT3? Meh. I'm not a race car driver, nor do I have the desire to be one. So go ahead, Porsche and other enthusiasts, build and modify whatever the F you want and charge whatever the F you want. I am under no condition to buy something to impress my neighbors.

Again, we agree. People do "opine". Now you've heard mine. I'm just trying to understand why people hold these particular opinions. I mean, this is a car forum full of people driving a previous generation of a particular model. Everyone seems overjoyed with their car, so why care about a car that may or may not be made? It doesn't appear to affect one's joy (or misfortune) with their own car, right? If this new concept is made and makes profit for the company, and they make new models... maybe, in 2016 something will roll off that you'll buy, in 2020, or sometime after depreciation satisfies your preconditions -- not that there is anything wrong with that. I just don't get it, but at least we agree.

Last edited by cfos; 04-25-2014 at 04:47 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
No, not only mistake, just the one that stood out to me the most. Anyway, I'm trying to understand what you said before the blah blah blah.

You said that "with brand devaluation, i would never have been interested..." -- ok, so what I take this to mean is that you have no free will, just follow trends and other people's input.
Have yet to read anything past this, and it is because I did not like what Chevy or Caddie was. Has nothing to do with what others think. However, my opinion is influenced by those educated enough to have driven the cars and competitors to compare, hence why i like the new Cadillacs and they welcome me to the older bits of the brand is because of the opinion many journalist have on the new Cadillacs. If i think the dodge neon and any other dodge ever made is disgusting it is up to me and makes me care a good bit less for classic chargers and such. However on the contrary if dodge was to produce something I really cared for then i may grow some interest.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post

You said that "with brand devaluation, i would never have been interested..." -- ok, so what I take this to mean is that you have no free will, just follow trends and other people's input. Ok, so be it. To be honest, "value" is flexible and only determined by the amount person x will pay for something. We had to pay above asking to secure a house. Was it worth it? I dunno. We are happy (even with having to replace 2 water heaters, furnace repairs, yada yada yada) and not everything in life needs to balance in life. Being happy, is something I've paid for in the past and will overpay in the future. What else are you going to do with money?

You go on to say, "... the number of times that the boxster has been rated best roadster and has been on car and drivers top 10 list is what i care about..." -- so, if you are the example of a typical boxster buyer -- I think you already proved what I was saying earlier -- that a hypothetical concept car isn't going to devalue the boxster to the buyer or seller. Ok.

Finally, you close with, "I really like the Macan, because it is best in class, all i am really after is Porsche being the best in this and the best in that, because i think it is safe to say that we all enjoy to associate with things considered as the best." Now, here I disagree. I think it's nice that other people think it's best in class, but I'm more about making decisions based on my own opinions based on experience, research, and personal taste. Today, I dropped off my car for an oil change and was given a 2014 Panamera 4 to tool around town with (of course, only 50 miles of gas in the tank, but that's ok, I'm used to it). Lots of neat features, and I couldn't tell you whether it is best in anything, because I simply don't like the styling. So, if it is best in anything, it still won't be the car I buy. Also, it won't affect how I feel about my current car. But that's me.
With the rest of your post, all good points . I just see my car as a Porsche as apposed to a boxster, and i see any other Porsche as a Porsche and not a whatever it may be, because of this i just hope the best for any model they produce. You can not say we are not all giddy over having the fastest lap ever around the ring as well as the fastest production lap under our name plate.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #50
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
...and then she found it and turned it into an Outlaw Karmann Ghia.
Gotta admit. Ghia Rat Rods ARE cool.

Just sayin'............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post

Looks like a Boxster to me.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #52

Garage
More info on the proposed 718 coming in 2016...

New Entry-Level Porsche Roadster Dubbed 718 Green Lighted for 2016

2016 Porsche 718 | car review @ Top Speed

These pics appear to be a few years old, and not from Porsche.

Name:  2014-porsche-550_600x0w.jpg
Views: 3052
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  2014-porsche-550-1_800x0w.jpg
Views: 4760
Size:  137.0 KB

Isn't it a bit odd they are calling it the 718? Wasn't that the name of the RS60 Spyder? Maybe 714 would be better.

-T
Name:  porsche-718-rs-60-01.jpg
Views: 4550
Size:  113.4 KB
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #53
I am my own mechanic....

Ummmm, that's a 987.1 with a smaller engine. Wanna bet how many parts are interchangeable?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #54

The only way this is remotely interesting (and not just a rebadged VW roadster concept that we've seen long ago) is if VW put in a flat 8 like the 718 W-RS that inherited the Porsche Formula 1 engine in the early 60's. Now that was a roadster... before the entire category went yuppy. ALbeit not as yuppy as a coupe with a roof hacked off.

A turbo powered four is the epitome of Volkswagenism. Does not belong in anything connected to the 550, 718 or its modern day incarnation, the Boxster/Cayman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post

Looks like a Boxster to me.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-25-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #55

Garage
Quote:
A turbo powered four is the epitome of Volkswagenism. Does not belong in anything connected to the 550.
Wasn't the 550 a mid-engine, 4 cyl roadster? It seems the new '718' would be more closely related than the 6 cyl 986.

Lots of Porsche fans have been clamoring lately for a return to the 'basics'...manual transmission, lower weight, less electronic driving aids, etc. The turbo aside, perhaps they have a chance to do just that with this car. I hope they get it right, and I hope I can afford one in 2018.

-T
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Wasn't the 550 a mid-engine, 4 cyl roadster? It seems the new '718' would be more closely related than the 6 cyl 986.

Lots of Porsche fans have been clamoring lately for a return to the 'basics'...manual transmission, lower weight, less electronic driving aids, etc. The turbo aside, perhaps they have a chance to do just that with this car. I hope they get it right, and I hope I can afford one in 2018.

-T
Yes but the 550 was a feather. Unless its proportions are like that of Miata, a 4 cylinder is not going to cut it in a modern car at ~2,600 lbs. that hopes to meet the spirit of 550/RS60/718 power to weight ratios. However, a Lotus Elise type Porsche would be interesting but that's not what they're allegedly cooking up. VW is just looking to use the badge to dump their turbo 4 banger engines into a much higher priced/higher margin car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-25-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Yes but the 550 was a feather. Unless its proportions are like that of Miata, a 4 cylinder is not going to cut it in a modern car at ~2,600 lbs. that hopes to meet roadster power to weight ratios. However, a Lotus Elise type Porsche would be interesting but that's not what they're allegedly cooking up. VW is just looking to use the badge to dump their typical engines into a much higher priced/higher margin car.
Why doesn't this forum software have a "like" button? I'd click it on this thought for sure!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #58

I hope it's not like the turbo 4 in my wife's A5. It has good power & torque, but it doesn't rev out, it's like driving a diesel
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #59

Garage
P-Lap,

Did you read the article? While it's all speculation (with some inaccurate info thrown in), it states among other things that the goal is to keep weight down on the Boxster chassis (they reference the Elise), and have horsepower in the neighborhood of 280.

I agree with you: Lower weight, more HP = that's a good thing.

I'm hoping they split the difference and come in at 2500lb and 250hp in a fun, stripped-down, driveable package.

-T
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #60

Garage
Do you all remember the 924s, took the 944 engine and put it in the 924 and this very old chassis was much faster than the 944 and cheaper...... They need to do that with the 986 chassis, make a few styling changes, and dump a modern engine in.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-25-2014 at 10:12 AM.