Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Stereo staying on??

Hey guys I keep forgetting to ask everyone what's up with the stock stereo in 2002 Boxster S? Seems like half the time I leave the stereo on when I get out of the car and I come back 10 min later it's still on. Shouldn't it turn off? Doesn't seem to do this every time....any thoughts??? Thanks fellas!

Springman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

Mine does the same thing sometimes. I just hold down the power button and make sure it's off if it doesn't turn off by itself
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

I'm way too lazy to have to worry about it lol. How long will it play if I don't shut it off?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
although mine does not do that, when i turn off the car I can just faintly still hear the radio playing >.<
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Most likely your ignition switch is failing...really! Weird radio gremlins are common side effects of ignition switch problems.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #6

Ok so now in addition to the radio issue the headlights and wipers will not function. This made things tricky driving home last night in the dark rain. Only the high beams would work when I held them on. My wife was pissed and said I have to fix this ASAP obviously lol. Also the other day the key would not release when the car was shut off but it does now. I think this is all related to the ignition switch, yes? How mush is this gonna run me now? Big job?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #7

Well that made it easier. Now based on the other items it is highly likely the ignition switch has gone bad. Spend $20 and 45 min and you will be all set. The only tools you will need are a short mini flat head and one of those wearable lights that strap around your forehead.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #8

I found a great screwdriver at Sears which was easy to modify with a hack saw for this job:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50166-electrical-ignition-switch-replacement-right-tool-found.html

Seems like the electrical portion of your switch is bad and maybe the assembly too?

Good write ups and parts available on Pelican's site...
ATX_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

Thanks guys for all the help. I just tried to lower the top and that didn't work either. Would this be the same thing. After a few cycles of the key it worked. So I will need to replace the entire assembly you guys think?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

I say replace the electrical ignition switch and see what happens first.
It is a cheap part to replace: $5.99 at ebay.

I recently replaced mine and I replaced the evil set screws with something longer.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51181-ignition-switch-holding-screws.html
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #11

Unless the mechanical part is broken there is no need to. The part is so easy to replace i would just replace it every 10 years at least that's when mine needed servicing. I bought the audi part for 30$ but there are aftermarket replacements at much lower prices. I'm not sure if they're the same quality but they are all relatively cheap. I found the hardest part was removing the ac duct. Mine came out easier from the side facing the center console.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

Ignition switch.

I did 3 in the 6 years I owned the car.

When you go shopping, you may as well pick up a spare.

/
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #13

Ok thx I guess I will take a crack at it. I have on 02 boxster s. I think I need part number 4A0905849B. Does this sound right?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #14

Don't know the part number...I just bought one at local NAPA store, about $15.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springman26 View Post
Ok thx I guess I will take a crack at it. I have on 02 boxster s. I think I need part number 4A0905849B. Does this sound right?
@ Springman, that part number is correct. Replaced mine today, $11.00 shipped on eBay. I have a '99 Base that I picked up a few months back.
Thanks to the good folks here, diagnosed the problem and learned how to put it in. I chose to go with the left side vent removal method. Not too bad of a job. Next time will be easier.
Jimriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #16

Thanks guys I picked up the part at the local Napa Auto for exactly $10. I pulled out the lower AC vent then had my friend who is a contortionist unscrew it. Works great. I can only imagine what the local dealer would have charged for that job. Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #17

Great! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #18

Oh man guys I need help. After I replaced the switch things worked well for a week or so. Then one morning I went out and found the battery to be dead. This was an interesting experience as I couldn't get the frunk open. After I was finally able to figure out how to do that I took the battery out and took it to the auto parts store and it was completely dead. That seemed ok it was 3 years old so I bought a new battery, put it in and was good to go for a few days. Now battery is dead again so I charged it up ran the car and it's dead again 12 hours later. Any ideas here? My friend thinks it's the new cheap o switch from Napa , I have no clue! I want to drive my car!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #19

My new (January) ignition switch failed last week - the bottom of the switch completely broke off, luckily not stranding me.
I replaced the switch with an Audi part - same part number.
I would try replacing your switch (again) with either an Audi or VW part and see how that goes.
Don't forget to fully charge your battery for at least 10 hours after installing the new switch.
If the battery still goes flat, you have an accessory still on or an electrical drain which you will need a multimeter to fault find the problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #20

If you leave the key in the ignition, the stereo stays on. If your ignition switch is failing, even after you remove the key it still thinks the key is inserted. You should hear a definitive "click" when you remove it, if not it's still "on".