Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Boxster S Bassist

Window regulator

My drivers door window sometimes doesn't drop down slightly when I use the remote. That makes opening the door difficult.

My mech says it needs to be replaced which will be an about $500 repair. Since the window winds up and down fine can be regulator simply be lubricated or repaired instead if replacing it?

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Window should move down slightly when handle is pulled up or latch pulled from inside. The regulator / switch is on the latch mechanism. Should be cheap easy fix.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Garage
I dunno....never heard of a regulator replacement being cheap. Please educate us.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Only cheap if you do it yourself. Daughter's Beetle was doing the same thing. PITA to change, but only cost about $130 for the part.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
I dunno....never heard of a regulator replacement being cheap. Please educate us.
Do it yourself for part cost.

You have been educated.

Far cheaper than any Indy or Porsche shop. It's a door panel, not an engine swap. Pelican sells special snap removal tools.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergen View Post
My drivers door window sometimes doesn't drop down slightly when I use the remote. That makes opening the door difficult.

My mech says it needs to be replaced which will be an about $500 repair. Since the window winds up and down fine can be regulator simply be lubricated or repaired instead if replacing it?
Hey John,

if you'll take a few minutes and jump over to the Rennlist forum:

Rennlist Discussion Forums

Then go to the 996 section

Once there, search that section for "Window regulator" and "Window microswitch"

There are a bunch of threads on this same topic. (It's the 996 section, but it's the same switches, regulators, etc as on the 986 Boxster)

Most likely it's a faulty microswitch and not the regulator causing your problem. Read through the threads on the 996 forum and you'll be able to narrow it down.

Here's the part you'll need:

Door Handle Microswitch:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

Also - here's a trick you may not know...

When the window doesn't drop and it's hung up making opening the door difficult, before you try to yank the door open, simply insert your key, turn it to the left like you are unlocking it, and keep the key held there. That will unlock the doors and drop the windows. Magic!

And like Tim said - it's a door panel, not an engine. Not really difficult to fix.

Here's what you need:

https://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=0d2d990533e1f6f5ee7761a40b 7509b8&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=67021

or, the local parts store or Harbor Freight will have the same kit for a few $ less

Door Panel Clip:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

You may as well order a handfull of these when you order the switch in case you break one or two.

Good luck,

Rick
Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Beginner

Garage
If the motor is trying to lower the window, and the window is not moving you have extra slack in the regulator cable. This is a cheap easy DIY fix. Remove the door panel taking care to remember (or write down if you are me) where each screw goes - they are all different. Then pop the plastic push in fasteners loose by giving short sharp tugs around the edges of the door panel. If it doesn't not pop off easily, you missed a screw. There are threads on this forum showing you how to do this. In the front lower corner of the door there is a regulator pulley with a cable running in to a plastic collar. Pull back on the cable sheath while running the window up and down in small increments until you to get slack between the cable housing and the plastic fitting. Now the hardest part - work an 8 mm cable adjuster (from your local bike shop) into the slack space between the plastic fitting and the cable, you want that slack gone. I could only get 10 mm adjusters and they were a pain to work with, and when the bike mechanic heard what I was using them for he apologized for being out of the 8 mm. Turns out this is common on other cars as well.

You may have to shorten / modify the cable adjuster to get it in there, I had to shorten the one I had to make it fit. That's it. I did both of mine, cost me about 2 hours work and $5.00 for the cable adjusters.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

JamesSP most likely has it right.

Try this. Open the door. Then try pushing gently down on the window. If the window drops about a 1/4 inch, then you have a regulator problem and not a microswitch problem. You can shorten the cables as JamesSP suggests or install a new regulator.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

See this thread from this forum:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Boxster S Bassist

Thumbs up

Thanks folks!

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote