View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
RedTele58

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergen View Post
My drivers door window sometimes doesn't drop down slightly when I use the remote. That makes opening the door difficult.

My mech says it needs to be replaced which will be an about $500 repair. Since the window winds up and down fine can be regulator simply be lubricated or repaired instead if replacing it?
Hey John,

if you'll take a few minutes and jump over to the Rennlist forum:

Rennlist Discussion Forums

Then go to the 996 section

Once there, search that section for "Window regulator" and "Window microswitch"

There are a bunch of threads on this same topic. (It's the 996 section, but it's the same switches, regulators, etc as on the 986 Boxster)

Most likely it's a faulty microswitch and not the regulator causing your problem. Read through the threads on the 996 forum and you'll be able to narrow it down.

Here's the part you'll need:

Door Handle Microswitch:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

Also - here's a trick you may not know...

When the window doesn't drop and it's hung up making opening the door difficult, before you try to yank the door open, simply insert your key, turn it to the left like you are unlocking it, and keep the key held there. That will unlock the doors and drop the windows. Magic!

And like Tim said - it's a door panel, not an engine. Not really difficult to fix.

Here's what you need:

https://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=0d2d990533e1f6f5ee7761a40b 7509b8&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=67021

or, the local parts store or Harbor Freight will have the same kit for a few $ less

Door Panel Clip:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

You may as well order a handfull of these when you order the switch in case you break one or two.

Good luck,

Rick