Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

2nd Gear Detent Replacement,

My 2000S 6 speed with 116K miles was becoming harder to successfully engage second gear consistently. At first I thought the shifting issue was just me, but the missed shifts were happening more often over the last two months. Given that my car has always shifted easily in the almost six years I've owned it and that I changed the gear oil at 92K miles (with the Porsche gear oil), I knew something must be up. I was concerned that I was potentially facing my first expense repair bill with the car, envisioning a transmission rebuild.

I researched the problem and as usual found out that the issue was not uncommon. I finally broke down and bought the second gear detent fix . I received the part Friday and installed it this afternoon.

I put my car on a lift today at our auto hobby shop and for the life of me could not find the location of the detent! After studying the pictures I finally figure out the location and thought there is no way I'm going to be able to get to this thing.

I'd hate to attempt this job with the car on the ground (on ramps). I'm sure it could be done but it wouldn't be much fun.

Anyway, after trying a few combinations of sockets, swivels and wrenches, I was able to remove the old part and install the new one. I took about an hour and a half but... Success! The second gear issue is gone! I drove the car and found second gear to be easily and consistently engaged again.

I did take a pic to point out the location of offending part and wanted to post a couple of things while still relatively fresh in my mind. This is not meant to be a step by step guide, as that is available already.

1. On the Boxster, the location is on the passenger side of the transaxle above the shift linkage.

2. Remove the small, 'L' shaped heat shield that protects the gear linkage.

3. You don't have to remove the metal plate under the transaxle to remove the part.

4. Access is tough! I used a 13 mm wrench to remove the transmission bolt that blocks access to the detent.

5. The 6mm allen head bolt that covers the detent was not too tough to get out with an allen head socket and ratchet.

6. The spring between the cover and the detent did not shoot out!

7. Removing the detent with a magnet is a challenge. You need a very strong magnet, yet you are limited on the diameter of the magnet that will fit down the hole and contact the detent. The part did not come out easily. It required some "touch" to slowly lift the part out. I ended up using small right angle needle nose pliers to finish removing the part.

8. The new detent goes in with the groove facing downward and orientated front to back, relative to the car. After inserting the new part, spring and cover, it was just a matter of putting the transmission bolt back in and the heat shield back in place.

I'm glad I did this job and I hope that it solves the second gear issue long term.

The picture shows the location of the detent and the heat shield that needs to be removed.

Last edited by dghii; 01-18-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Garage
Wow....Thanks for that. Sounds a bit ridiculous. I have the 2nd gear issue when the car is cold. Fine when things are warmed up. May need to pursue this.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
Wow....Thanks for that. Sounds a bit ridiculous. I have the 2nd gear issue when the car is cold. Fine when things are warmed up. May need to pursue this.
That's how mine acted at first...first few shift in the AM were the worst.

I just wanted to do this as opposed to taking a chance messing up second gear.

Btw, in the picture, which isn't very good, the long shiny piece sticking up was my socket extension pointing to the location of the detent cover.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
2004 Boxster S

+1 for the detent fix, I did mine a while back and second gear is easier to engage and stays in gear. My indi shop installed it for free when they had the tranny out of the car for the IMS replacement.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #5

Tranny out would be a 10 minute job tops!

So far so good.....
Old 04-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Thanks OP for this DIY post. This together with the GBox web site instructions made this an easy job. Just a couple of corrections / amplifications for anyone else who does this in the future:

1- The plug cap on top of the detent requires an 8mm allen head wrench as per the GBox instructions and not 6 mm.

2- My detent was impossible to remove even with a very strong magnet. An L shaped 7mm allen head key fits pretty tightly into the pocket inside of the detent. I inserted this 7 mm allen key into the pocket on top of the detent and rocked it back and forth as I pulled up, and that got it right out.

My gearbox had popped out of 2nd just couple of times in the few years I have owned it, but not in a while. I decided to do this as prevention against future problems. After driving it around a few miles, it seems a bit less notchy in the 1st - 2nd gear shift, but not much different.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

So far so good with this install.No more popping out of second gear problems to date.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Garage
Is this the detent under the 996 section on GBOX? I dont see anything under Boxster
Contr_eras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #9

Been awhile since this post. might want to reach out to gbox.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:09 AM   #10

"Is this the detent under the 996 section on GBOX? I dont see anything under Boxster"
Yes

SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote