Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2024, 01:29 AM   #1

Door locking mechanism not working

Hello, I'm new member and take this opportunity to introduce myself too. Based in the West Midlands United Kingdom. Always fancied a mid-engine car so have taken the plunge and bought a low mileage 1998 986 2.5 Boxster, now that they have become affordable. Hoping it does not become expensive to run...

I have an issue with the door locking mechanism on my 1998 2.5 Boxster. Unable to lock the doors pressing button on the key fob or by inserting and turning the key, and the central locking button on the dash does not work either.
When I press the central locking button on the key, key light flashes and the receiver on the dashboard also flashes, so assuming there is some communication between key fob and central locking control unit. The other button on the key fob opens the rear boot, so that is working.

There is some water ingress pooling at the back of the passenger seat (left hand side), and in front of the seat, the foam in both areas is holding the water. There is no water pooling in the sunk area beneath the central locking control unit, but I suspect some water does slide underneath it.

I'm trying to assess if it's a mechanical issue with any of the door locking units, or it's an electronic issue with the central locking control unit.

I took the door card off to check if the key cylinder actually turns with the key, and I discover that the end that connects to door locking unit was hanging loose and not slotted in it's place. I correct this but still was not able to lock the door with the key
If the door locking unit is faulty, would this impede door locking using either key fob or inserting and turning key?

If I'm able to open rear boot with the key fob, does this mean that there is communication with central locking control unit and therefore it's not dead, or is it a separate thing?

Appreciate any help with this is.

Old_donkey is offline   Reply With Quote