Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
When mine fails, I'll gladly replace it. Not before.
Friend of mine said that. The shop recommended that he replace the water pump on his 996 and he said no. 3 months later the pump failed and bits of the impeller went into the the system which the shop did their best the flush out with no guarantee. 3 months after that his heads cracked and the oil and coolant mixed and now he needs a new engine

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #22

99 porsche boxster oil in water been going on for some years only do about 2k a year ( car has covered 97k miles) it has now totally blocked up the system causing overheating. I have removed the thermostat to aid flushing and disconected engine hoses will the block drain without removing the drain plug. The engine still runs o/k but every mechanic I speak to mensions a new engine which would cost more than the car is worth any comments would be appreciated re.Bill
bill-vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-vfr View Post
99 porsche boxster oil in water been going on for some years
That says it all. Early cars tended to slip cylinder liners and/or crack heads, which requires a total rebuild or replacement.

Once you see oil in the water, or visa versa, STOP DRIVING THE CAR. It ain't going to heal.................

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-13-2014 at 03:06 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #24

Garage
I did mine beginning of the summer, also replaced thermostat and replaced front engine mount. Lots of DIY info out there. with the front engine mount out I was able to get all the bolts off no problem. I did have the care up on stands to get underneath and removed the interior engine cover behind the seats but I would not pay anyone to do it. I don't think it was any more difficult than a brake job.