Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Misfire cylinders + CEL = please help :(

This problem is getting to my head, so please, if you have any input at all - do not hesitate to contribute

I am having misfire on cylinder 1 - 2 -3 and this morning the CEL came on and the car studdered and almost stalled completely.

History:

1: New MAF 4 weeks ago. Engine ran beautifully.

2: Two weeks ago it started to "chase" revs when idling, up/down, up/down so I checked and got these error codes:

P1341 Camshaft adjustment bank 1
P0300 Misfire detection
P0302 Misfire cylinder 2
P0303 Misfire cylinder 3

Please check out this video - YouTube

3: So yesterday I replaced all plugs to Beru (previous one were Bosch) and coils for cylinder 2 and 3 --> Same error codes! Now it even says misfiring on cylinder 1!

Then this morning the car almost stalled as described above + CEL.

Could it be that the problem is the left bank, since cylinder 1-2-3 is on the same bank? I'm asking since I read that on Rennlist.

misfires in 3 cylinders (4,5,6) - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Any tips are greatly appreciated

haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
This problem is getting to my head, so please, if you have any input at all - do not hesitate to contribute

I am having misfire on cylinder 1 - 2 -3 and this morning the CEL came on and the car studdered and almost stalled completely.

History:

1: New MAF 4 weeks ago. Engine ran beautifully.

2: Two weeks ago it started to "chase" revs when idling, up/down, up/down so I checked and got these error codes:

P1341 Camshaft adjustment bank 1
P0300 Misfire detection
P0302 Misfire cylinder 2
P0303 Misfire cylinder 3

Please check out this video - YouTube

3: So yesterday I replaced all plugs to Beru (previous one were Bosch) and coils for cylinder 2 and 3 --> Same error codes! Now it even says misfiring on cylinder 1!

Then this morning the car almost stalled as described above + CEL.

Could it be that the problem is the left bank, since cylinder 1-2-3 is on the same bank? I'm asking since I read that on Rennlist.

misfires in 3 cylinders (4,5,6) - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Any tips are greatly appreciated
Get the car scanned by a Porsche specific system (PIWIS, Durametric) that is capable of evaluating and testing the VarioCam system components to determine what is throwing the P1341 code.
__________________
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Most likely Iīll have it flatbeded to my local PC tomorrow..... damn, itīs been too many $$$ and not enough miles.....
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
I can empathize. My rear suspension overhaul and wheel bearings in progress now is creeping up on $2K. (doing the coil packs, trans fluid and fuel filter for good measure).
This after spending $2K on rotors and waterpump. I don't think I had to the time to drive the car even 1K miles this whole summer.
I need to find a place with a lift...
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Most likely Iīll have it flatbeded to my local PC tomorrow..... damn, itīs been too many $$$ and not enough miles.....
A durametric can pay for itself in one repair- mine did.
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Registered User
 
AKnowles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern, CA
Posts: 460
Haz, I feel for you. And I do have a simple suggestion. Well two actually.

First, just for the heck of it unplug the MAF. See if it makes a difference. My last MAF only lasted 5 weeks before it failed. So it can happen.

Secondly, I have the P1341 error show up twice. The first time it happened was when my wife stalled the car to prevent running into someone in front of her. After clearing the code it popped back up (that's the second occurrence) while driving and a misfire occurred (actually the engine seemed like it just cut out for half a second). One of the interesting things I found was the cam adjustment is hydraulic. So, low oil pressure, cold weather, thicker oil, old oil, etc. can all possibly contribute to the CEL. I was just about due for an oil change, so changed it using Mobil 1 European blend and went for a spirited drive. No return of the CEL to date.

I can't say either of these suggestions will make a difference (MAF or Oil), but both are cheap and easy to check out. As another weird thought, isn't this the rebuilt engine after an IMS failure. If it is (my memory may not be correct) then this could also be one of those times when an IMS disintegration with all the floating pieces of debris that could clog oil ports may have bit you.
__________________
1999 Boxster Zenith Blue Metallic/Savanna Beige
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Haz, I feel for you. And I do have a simple suggestion. Well two actually.

First, just for the heck of it unplug the MAF. See if it makes a difference. My last MAF only lasted 5 weeks before it failed. So it can happen.

Secondly, I have the P1341 error show up twice. The first time it happened was when my wife stalled the car to prevent running into someone in front of her. After clearing the code it popped back up (that's the second occurrence) while driving and a misfire occurred (actually the engine seemed like it just cut out for half a second). One of the interesting things I found was the cam adjustment is hydraulic. So, low oil pressure, cold weather, thicker oil, old oil, etc. can all possibly contribute to the CEL. I was just about due for an oil change, so changed it using Mobil 1 European blend and went for a spirited drive. No return of the CEL to date.

I can't say either of these suggestions will make a difference (MAF or Oil), but both are cheap and easy to check out. As another weird thought, isn't this the rebuilt engine after an IMS failure. If it is (my memory may not be correct) then this could also be one of those times when an IMS disintegration with all the floating pieces of debris that could clog oil ports may have bit you.
Hopefully, Porsche Center Oslo will figure this out. I got a price for $120 for a full scan and diagnosis. Hopefully they are smart enoguh to try and error such things as unplugging the MAF and so on.

But many many thanks for your support!

What brand was your MAF? I went for original Bosch and there are no error codes thrown that suggest bad MAF. I heard cheaper MAFs die quickly.

I did an oil change after the IMS upgrade, and the Porsche Specialist went for Castrol Edgen 0W 40 Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 | Features and Recommended Engines | Castrol EDGE which supposedly is great for our cold winters.

We did check the oil filter two weeks after the IMS upgrade and there was not even a slight sign of any metal debris. And hopefully, there are none left in the system that could clog up the oil pump / ports etc..
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
2004 Boxster S
 
evan9eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Norway/Spain
Posts: 231
Sorry to hear Haz, keep us posted. Hopefully its something simple!
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Sorry to hear Haz, keep us posted. Hopefully its something simple!
Tusen takk kompis, yes, letīs hope..
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Mechanic @ Porsche Center called: it's the cam shaft variator that's gone. He talked about my car having vario cam bla bla. He talked so fast.. he is going to email me an offer, but he did imply a job in the range of $1800-3000.....

If this part Porsche Camshaft position sensor Hall sender 996606106026 Boxster / 996 / 955 Cayenne - 99660610602 | Design 911 is the correct part that he is offering to replace, I'll flatbed the Boxster to my local indy thank you very much..
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Got an email from my PC mechanic. He is asking $5000

This is the part that needs replaced http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Boxster-97-04-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-Cyl-1-3-GENUINE-996-105-051-58-/151078970873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232d0225f9&vxp=mtr

+ many other small parts... I donīt know what to say...

Last edited by haz; 12-16-2013 at 09:08 AM.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
So the cause of the error codes p1341 was the engine timing chain tensioner right side cyl 1-3 to be bad and needed replaced. Car is back on track now
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
jakesbox
 
trimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
So the cause of the error codes p1341 was the engine timing chain tensioner right side cyl 1-3 to be bad and needed replaced. Car is back on track now
Can you divulge how much it cost to fix?
__________________
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,571
Haz, thanks for posting this. I use the search feature all the time and these post are invaluable. How many miles on your Boxster?
__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 01-04-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
aren't you tempted to sell this particular Boxster while you're still on top? It sounds like the previous owners' maintenance habits have left you with many question marks.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
haz
Registered User
 
haz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
aren't you tempted to sell this particular Boxster while you're still on top? It sounds like the previous owners' maintenance habits have left you with many question marks.
He he.. still on top. I donīt know about that. What I do know is that it will be put up for sale the day after the last snow melts away here in Oslo. I do not know how easy these cars are to sell, I mean itīs a niche marked right?

Loss or not, I donīt buy or sell cars with that so much in mind. I do it out of passion. That said, I cannot push away the fact that the dark days owning my Boxster easily outshadows the bright days. I cannot own a car that has proven to be this unreliable. I do not blame the seller, as he had looked after it and done every little repair when something showed up. I believe this to be what we in Norway call a "monday car".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Haz, thanks for posting this. I use the search feature all the time and these post are invaluable. How many miles on your Boxster?
No Chuck, thank you

I am the same way. If the threadstarter doesnīt supply what turned out tobe the remedy, then we havenīt come any further in helping others in the same community. I believe 161.000 km is a little over 90 k miles or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Can you divulge how much it cost to fix?
Porsche Center Oslo quoted me $5000 (remember the tensioner is a $1000 part)
I ended up at a indy shop called SSP who did my IMSB upgrade and they are Porsche approved specialists and they did it for well under half that.


Last edited by haz; 01-04-2014 at 11:20 AM.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page