Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
He should sold the set. Dicks like him don't need balls.:dance:
+1 on that.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I don't know....I still think a new Boxster is too close to what you already have.
Would it really feel "new?"
Have you driven a 981?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #43
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The price is quite high I know. Which brings me back to the ongoing dilemma of wanting a 360 Modena. My concern with the Ferrari at this point is age, and cost of maintenance. Not so much the required maintenance, but the small irritating things that can go wrong.
I'd seriously consider the Ferrari 360 before a new 981. The 981 is just a newer 986 -you've kinda been there done that.

The 360 is in a completely different ballpark but if you can live with the cost of Porsche repairs, you can probably live with the cost of Ferrari repairs.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
recycledsixtie

Garage
A good question here is does anybody think about resale of a car especially when you are talking about buying a new car? Not trying to hijack your thread though but is it a factor in this purchase?

Would a new 981 depreciate more than a Ferrari?

For instance I have never had a car that appreciated in my life. My Box base follows the same pattern.....however I would not have changed anything in my purchase.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
A good question here is does anybody think about resale of a car especially when you are talking about buying a new car? Not trying to hijack your thread though but is it a factor in this purchase?

Would a new 981 depreciate more than a Ferrari?

For instance I have never had a car that appreciated in my life. My Box base follows the same pattern.....however I would not have changed anything in my purchase.
I don't think in terms of depreciation. I think in terms of consumption. In other words, I am consuming the car's value over time, so it will logically be worth less after a period of time.

I bought my 2006 Boxster S for $70. Drove it for 7.5 driving seasons, almost 60,000 miles and sold it this September for $30. Seems far to me. So it cost me about $0.67/mile to drive. So, when I do a 320 mile Saturday morning drive to enjoy the weather, great roads and awesome car, I spent $215. Big whip. People spend that much on golf and booze on a weekend morning.

On the other hand, I bought my 1997 993 Turbo in 2009 for low $60's and drove it for 4 years and 40,000 miles and sold it this summer for low $90's. So, it all depends.

I have a new 991 C2S Cabriolet on order for March delivery. Lots of options. Very expensive. +$150. Sure I'll get hammered on depreciation/consumption, but I really don't care. It's paid for. I'll have it for at least 10 years. Doesn't matter what it's worth or not worth in 10 years.

Yes, I think a new modern Ferrari will depreciate faster than a new modern Porsche.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I'd seriously consider the Ferrari 360 before a new 981. The 981 is just a newer 986 -you've kinda been there done that.

The 360 is in a completely different ballpark but if you can live with the cost of Porsche repairs, you can probably live with the cost of Ferrari repairs.
Knock on wood, up until now I've had no repairs - just mods.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
I don't think in terms of depreciation. I think in terms of consumption. In other words, I am consuming the car's value over time, so it will logically be worth less after a period of time.

I bought my 2006 Boxster S for $70. Drove it for 7.5 driving seasons, almost 60,000 miles and sold it this September for $30. Seems far to me. So it cost me about $0.67/mile to drive. So, when I do a 320 mile Saturday morning drive to enjoy the weather, great roads and awesome car, I spent $215. Big whip. People spend that much on golf and booze on a weekend morning.

On the other hand, I bought my 1997 993 Turbo in 2009 for low $60's and drove it for 4 years and 40,000 miles and sold it this summer for low $90's. So, it all depends.

I have a new 991 C2S Cabriolet on order for March delivery. Lots of options. Very expensive. +$150. Sure I'll get hammered on depreciation/consumption, but I really don't care. It's paid for. I'll have it for at least 10 years. Doesn't matter what it's worth or not worth in 10 years.

Yes, I think a new modern Ferrari will depreciate faster than a new modern Porsche.
Actually, there's a completely different culture that surrounds the Ferrari marque. Yes, they depreciate, but only so far. The culture won't allow it. In fact, some Ferraris will actually rebound from depreciation, and gradually begin to climb in price. That's not to say the same doesn't occur with certain Porsches, but I doubt the boxster will be one of them.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Have you driven a 981?
No.
Though Im sure a new one is a better car and all that the driving dynamics are probably very similar
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #49

Quote:
The price is quite high I know. Which brings me back to the ongoing dilemma of wanting a 360 Modena. My concern with the Ferrari at this point is age, and cost of maintenance. Not so much the required maintenance, but the small irritating things that can go wrong.
I wanted a 360 until I drove a 430.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #50

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I wanted a 360 until I drove a 430.
Have you driven a 360 Challenge Stradale though ?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #51

If you get the 981 in Mexico Blue, you'd have to change your moniker to "Juan Peligro;" the Ferrari would make you "Giovanni Pericolo." Either one kind of falls short of the cachet and mystique of "Johnny Danger".

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
If you get the 981 in Mexico Blue, you'd have to change your moniker to "Juan Peligro;" the Ferrari would make you "Giovanni Pericolo." Either one kind of falls short of the cachet and mystique of "Johnny Danger".

DBear
You're man of great culture. Very few would know the word pericolo to be the Italian equivalent to Danger.

P.S. I prefer Gianni Pericolo !
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post

DBear
I kinda like the sound of Juan Peligro...

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post

I have. When I sold my 964 I got more for it. In the mean time it has continued to appreciate.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #55
Damn Yankee

Garage
So Johnny,

Are you leaning against the traditional Ferrari Red and opting for your trademark yellow?

I don't think the 360 was offered in Ely Blue.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
So Johnny,

Are you leaning against the traditional Ferrari Red and opting for your trademark yellow?

I don't think the 360 was offered in Ely Blue.

TO
That's probably the only Ely Blue Scuderia in existence. But, red (rosso corsa or scuderia) with a black interior would do it for me. Although, Giallo is still a possibility.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Have you driven a 360 Challenge Stradale though ?
No, but it would be a disservice to yourself to not drive a 430 if youre in the market for a Ferrari in about that price range.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #58

I love reading about Ferrari ownership experiences. There's a pro baseball player who posts regularly on one forum and he hasn't a nice thing to say about any of their dealers. The mothership apparently does not closely monitor the way dealers sell cars stateside. All kinds of "I'm doing you a big favor selling you your first Ferrari" attitude. And then I read from the track junkies that Ferrari build quality is strictly "cars and coffee" reliable. If you want GT3 level durability, or a car you can drive on the street and track equally, you have to dig deeper and go for the track versions like 430 Scuderia. Apparently there's a big difference in quality between Ferrari for the street (likely to be very low mileage for its whole life) and Ferrari for the guy looking to put some hurt into his tires.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #59
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I love reading about Ferrari ownership experiences. There's a pro baseball player who posts regularly on one forum and he hasn't a nice thing to say about any of their dealers. The mothership apparently does not closely monitor the way dealers sell cars stateside. All kinds of "I'm doing you a big favor selling you your first Ferrari" attitude. And then I read from the track junkies that Ferrari build quality is strictly "cars and coffee" reliable. If you want GT3 level durability, or a car you can drive on the street and track equally, you have to dig deeper and go for the track versions like 430 Scuderia. Apparently there's a big difference in quality between Ferrari for the street (likely to be very low mileage for its whole life) and Ferrari for the guy looking to put some hurt into his tires.
Funny you say that. I go to our regular cars and coffee and have been for over a year. I have seen 2 times where cars have left on a flatbed. Wait for it...Wait for it...Ferarri. BUT it was the same 360 both times. So really one car twice! His is red with red white and green italian stripes offset down the car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #60

JD's been talking up the prancing stallion for as long as I've known him, might as well get it out of his system. My next door neighbor's 348 GTB hasn't been out of the garage for going on 5 years. Interesting read:

One Year With A Ferrari

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote