Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #21

I don't get the above comment....?
These lights are beautiful and a perfect way to update the look of an older Boxster. At $100 new, I can't see how you can go wrong.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371214756.194171.jpg
Views: 6441
Size:  73.1 KB

jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izman1000 View Post
My smoke Depo tail lights showed up yesterday and I'm confused....

The new tail lights don't have a place for the side marker bulbs to shine through (the lights that wrap slightly around the side of the car and illuminate when the headlights are on).

There is no way to see the car at night, except for the license plate lights. How is this safe and/or legal?

Also, it doesn't look very good without tail lights that light up... What am I missing?
easy modification. I used an electric drill altough that's probably not what you should be using but I'm given to impatience sometimes. Anyway... there are two bulbs I believe that are attached to wiring, one wire is long the other is short.
I guess one is for the brake light and the other for the side parking light, which will continue to work after this mod by the way.

You have move them around in the housing so that they swap places. But there's a little plastic frame piece that makes it hard to squeez the one bulb through to the other side. I pulled back the rubber shroud on the bulb exposing the metal socket and tried to squeeze it through that little space but it was still to narrow. That's when I got out the drill bit and put a hole in that plastic piece. Be sure to pull all of the wiring out of the way so you don't inadvertently drill through the wires. I then took a pair of pliers and snapped off the rest of the plastic clearing the way so that the bulb could easily pass through to the other side.

This took about 5-10 minutes for each tailight. I'm sure there's an easier/safer way like using a soldering gun to melt the plastic and then follow up with the pliers.

Once you've swapped places on the the two bulbs you'll have the rear corners stay on as soon as you throw on the headlights. The inside lights nearer to the rear trunk light up when you hit the brake. Make sure those bulbs are properly seated so that little security pin near the edge of the bulb is locked into its little slot, otherwise the bulb might pop out under braking and you'll have to do it all over again just to snap in that bulb into the housing again. Also, for some reason on my set I had to turn on and turn off the the headlights twice to get the tail lights to turn on. But then that went away.

These tailights are the best bang for the buck mod so far. They are wayyyy brighter during the day so you'll wake up those distracted drivers behind you. The parking brake light is also much brighter/visible during the day. I parked the car on the street one time and I could see the parking light shining brightly some three blocks away. Easily the most noticeable thing in my field of vision. It was a narrow street where passing cars get very close to the parked cars.

As far as looks even my mechanic noticed them right away and commented it gives the rear an updated look... doesn't look so 1990's anymore. Kind of reminded me of the Carrera GT talights the way the LEDs are layed out.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #23

Nice driveway!! I want to be your neighbohr! I stayed in Alanta for nearly three months for work once back in the late 90's. Great restaurant town...and without the NYC prices. But you can keep that 2 hour traffic getting out of the city!
Easily the worst commutter traffic I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
I don't get the above comment....?
These lights are beautiful and a perfect way to update the look of an older Boxster. At $100 new, I can't see how you can go wrong.

Attachment 17453
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #24

Got it worked out... I'll post some pics this weekend in the sun.

Thanks!

BTW- I was in Atlanta for 7 years and had a great experience too... Plus, I could afford the house in jeffm's pic. Coming back to NJ takes a hit on the wallet.
Izman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #25

Where did you buy your depo tail lights? I'm looking for a pair.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow View Post
Where did you buy your depo tail lights? I'm looking for a pair.
There's a pair for sale in the classified section.
Gl
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #27

Quote:

BTW- I was in Atlanta for 7 years and had a great experience too... Plus, I could afford the house in jeffm's pic. Coming back to NJ takes a hit on the wallet.
I know what you mean. My corporate office is located in Stamford, CT....no way I could afford to live up there. Plus, I have the advantage of working from home so no commute for me!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #28

Here's another angle up with the smoked 3rd brake light:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371296810.911573.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  80.8 KB
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #29

Autodynamic.com... $179
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #30

Jeff... Looks great
Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm interested to know what complaints you're talking about. The only "complaints" that I've ever seen are that both fog lights don't work, and as we all know, that is how the stock lights work also.

I've never seen any complaints about these lights and I love mine.
I totally agree, I found this mod one of the easiest I ever did, and the results are brilliant!

Are some of your lights LED and do you just connect the old bulb holder to an electronic connection that in turn powers the LED's? I was a bit stumped until I started installing them - have you actually tried yet or are you just looking at them?
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #32

Garage
Scarce

Quote:
Autodynamic.com... $179
I just bought a pair of clears when I saw this url. I thought about buying a set a few months and they were available everywhere for less than $200.00 but lately they are hard to find for a reasonable price. Between the $179 price and the pic of jeffm's car I decided I had to pull the trigger. I'll post a picture as soon as they are installed.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I totally agree, I found this mod one of the easiest I ever did, and the results are brilliant!

Are some of your lights LED and do you just connect the old bulb holder to an electronic connection that in turn powers the LED's? I was a bit stumped until I started installing them - have you actually tried yet or are you just looking at them?
I've had them on my car for a few months...not quite sure what you're asking, though

The LEDs plug into the brake and fog light sockets and the rest of the incandescent bulbs remain where they are.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #34

Garage
and apparently they are still hard to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackman View Post
I just bought a pair of clears when I saw this url. I thought about buying a set a few months and they were available everywhere for less than $200.00 but lately they are hard to find for a reasonable price. Between the $179 price and the pic of jeffm's car I decided I had to pull the trigger. I'll post a picture as soon as they are installed.
I got an email yesterday that they are out of stock.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Jeff... Looks great
I agree Izman, that looks great on a black box.

Nice Jeff!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I agree Izman, that looks great on a black box.

Nice Jeff!
These, combined with the LED headlamps, really takes a few decades off the car. I originally bought the taillights with the clear turn signal, but I couldn't pass up the deal when the smoked were on closeout for 100 bucks. I still like the clear, so I may hold on to them and change them out seasonally.

With the clear:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371680463.203987.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  67.6 KB
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #37

Garage
I like the clear also, but on a dark color like yours the smoked lets the profile of the fenders flow more smoothly (to me anyway).