Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #1

Any cool Porsche or Boxster magazines?

Looking for cool reading material. Any suggestions?

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
bmussatti

Hey Hoser, define "cool"!

The magazine from PCA is pretty good (Panorama) and I have seen Excellence. They are good but I would not call them "cool". Parts of them are cool though.

You can go to Excellence's web site and get a free on month issue, FYI.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #3

I would concur with these recs. Both good mags.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #4

Panorama reminds me of a bunch of old farts with too much cash who have garage queens that never get driven, let alone driven hard the way they should be driven. The layout is also archaic, but the ads always interest me. If it didn't come free with PCA membership, I would not have it in my home—the editors also refuse to be critical about anything in the Porsche company or with the cars from what I've read thus far, considering Porsche pays their salaries.

Excellence is much better, although they won't cut off their nose and write something lackluster about a Porsche either because the magazine is devoted to Porsches. I personally like this Porsche publication over Panorama because they reprinted my biting words about the RMS issue in their reader feedback area without any editing.

Someone should publish a magazine about boxsters and just boxsters. I bet it would sell well considering there's so many of them out there.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #5

excellence is best IMHO. Panorama (and PCA membership) gives you on-line access to national level expertise as well as membership in Special Interest Groups (SIG) to include 986/987.

I'd add Road & Track. Not all Boxster or even Porsche, BUT always interesting and almost always something Porsche. Like Paul Frere's Porsche mid-engine history piece a few issues ago. And Peter Egan's work is worth the subscription cost to me. Also there are regular comparisons/ratings between competing models.
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #6

Isn't there one called "Porsche"?

Thought I remember this somewhere.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #7

There was or is a mag called VW & Porsche or something like that. Seems like it changed its name. Used to see it at grocery store mag racks. Looked youth oriented and hot rod-ish. Check the big bookstores like Books-a-Million.
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #8

Borders and Barnes & Noble has GT Purely Porsche from the UK and always have the latest Excellence. European Car is another good which usually has one Porsche in it each month. Not sure if Dupont Registry has articles but there's always a ton of P-cars in there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #9

VW&Porsche changed it's name to European Car a long time ago. I had a water cooled VW at the time, but remember some interesting articles concerning 911's too.

-James
'01 S
jamscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #10

There is a UK mag Porsche & 911 World, or maybe it is 911 & Porsche World. Similar to Excellence, but I don't like it as well.
There are three or four books dedicated to the Boxster. Check Amazon. Basically they are "development of" type books that don't cover anything much later than the intro of the S.
If you are interested in Porsche history the world is your oyster, as there are literally dozens of books, covering in detail every model every produced. Ludvigsen's new expanded two volume "Excellence Was Expected" is the ultimate Porsche book, but pricey at $150 ... or is it $250? Anyway, bring your wallet.
Unlike some of the other folks, I like Panorama, particularly for the articles about Porsche history, usually very well done. But it IS basically a glossy, well produced club newsletter, so if you're not into PCA activities it is not likely to be your cup of Oolong.
One book I thought was especially cool (my interpretation of cool) was Denis Jenkinson's " A Passion for Porsche", about his experiences with the marque in the '50's and '60's. Jenkinson was a British motoring journalist most renowned for being Stirling Moss' co-driver in the '55 Mille Miglia in the Mercedes 300SLR.

Last edited by Ronzi; 12-15-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 AM   #11
olly986

there is a very good french one called RS magazine but you obliviously need to speak french!