Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #21
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Do all season tires get better mileage (not mpg, but wear) than... "summer" tires on average?
I am not a tire expert but I would think that winter tires are made of softer rubber so would wear quicker(especially if driven on dry pavement).

The above poster says that all season radials should be adequate for some snow.
My response is basically how lucky do you feel?

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
How great is the difference between winter tires and all season in the snow? Would my best option be to get a second set of wheels and change them myself?
To answer your questions: (1) night and day (2) yes

Here's my experience with AS and snow tires. My cars are daily drivers, so they must go in the snow.

I bought a new 01 MR2 Spyder in Jan 01. It came with Yokohoma Advan qualifying tires, which needless to say were worthless in the snow. I immediately bought a set of Firestone AS tires. I got around fine (not great), but they were 15" / 55 series tires.

Four yrs later I traded MR 2 on my first Porsche - an 01 Boxster S. As my first winter approached, I decided to do the AS tire again as I had no plans to track my car. I bought a set of Kumho AS tires. They were horrible in virtually any depth of snow. I was using the wheels that came on the car, so we're talking 18" tires. I generally bummed a ride with a pretty young lady who lived down the street from me and worked at my office that winter. That next winter I bought a set of Blizzaks and reused the 18" wheels and my 01S got around great in snow.

I've used that same set of Blizzaks on my 08 Boxster S LE, my 07 Cayman S, and they're currently on my 08 Cayman S Sport. I bought a set of Cayman wheels when I bought my LE and all my 987s have done great in snow. After 6 seasons and probably close to 20K mi on them, they still work and have plenty of tread left.

If you didn't live in the snow belt, an AS would be fine. Everybody except Joe B has reported that AS tires aren't good in snow. I'm sure tire companies have made advances in tech since I bought my AS tires, but again, they're a compromise. If you're driving in a snowy environment, you don't need a compromise.

If you're wanting to skimp on spending money on mounting and balancing, then I think you're missing the big picture. How much will it cost you to repair your Box if you wreck it trying to sneak home in the snow? Snow season is almost done this year. Why not look around this summer for a set of wheels that are inexpensive because they have some rash and then get a set of snows next Oct-Nov?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #23

I said it once and I will say it again. The mich pilot sport A/S are by far the best all seasons i have driven on. Do a search on them on the forum to find some of my postings. Around $859 installed and balanced at Costco.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #24

Garage
I like the Conti's

Unless you track your car, it is illegal to go 150 mph. Having said that, I will say I enjoy the quiet and confident ride I get from Continental Extreme DWS. I only have them on the rears though and here is why. Originally bought the DW's but the right rear got slick within 10000 miles. Looking at the tread wear ratings, I replaced both rears with DWS, since my 986 is my daily commuter now. Using the butt dyno, I do not notice any difference of traction. As comparison, my cars' previous driver had kumho ecsta on and it was feeling very dangerously loose in cold weather and rain. Continental Extreme contact was an upgrade for me. I work in the body shop of a German car manufacturing facility and have nothing to gain from my recommendation. Just sharing my experience, hoping it is helpful.

I have been over 135 mph on these tires though, but I forget which road I was on...
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #25

same experience here, legit snow tires will last a very long time. which makes it a win win. And its pretty tough to flat spot them like with a cheap tire, well at least that was the case with my Pirelli SnowSports (discontinued tire). As long as clearance is not an issue, they will get you home in one piece in real snow, not a 1" or less dusting, they have excellent wet weather performance in freezing rain, and can easily last five seasons, which means your spring/summer/fall tires will last a lot longer with the snow tires taking the brunt during winter.

and to the OP, you don't need to balance the wheels each time you switch over.
You can get one of these handy tire trees and just tuck them away in a corner.

Home Page > ECS News > Wheel Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I bought a set of Kumho AS tires. They were horrible in virtually any depth of snow. I was using the wheels that came on the car, so we're talking 18" tires. I generally bummed a ride with a pretty young lady who lived down the street from me and worked at my office that winter. That next winter I bought a set of Blizzaks and reused the 18" wheels and my 01S got around great in snow.

I've used that same set of Blizzaks on my 08 Boxster S LE, my 07 Cayman S, and they're currently on my 08 Cayman S Sport. I bought a set of Cayman wheels when I bought my LE and all my 987s have done great in snow. After 6 seasons and probably close to 20K mi on them, they still work and have plenty of tread left.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #26

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. All season tires are a compromise. If you were looking for a skinny 15" tire, AS tires might be fine because they could compromise towards the snow ability. But we're talking about a 16"-18" tire that has to be capable of 150mph speeds. What direction do you think they'll compromise towards? It's not snow capability. If you lived in the mid-south, maybe you could get by with an AS tire, but not in CT.

And if you plan to keep them on year round, you'll be disappointed with the high performance capabilities too. Jack of (almost) all trades, master of none.

Perfectlap nailed it. Get a 2nd set of wheels and a dedicated set of snows. I don't have an impact wrench but can complete the job in 30 min with my race jack.
Sure, all-seasons are a compromise. They are a compromise that is ideal for those of us who live in cold climates where we use the Porsche as an occasional weekend car. We don't take the Porsche out if it's going to snow -- duh! -- but it's sure nice to be able to drive on those weekends when it's cold but not snowy. We live in the Midwest where it may be 25 degrees this weekend, 70 the next, 15 the next, 55 the next, etc. etc. Under those circumstances it hardly makes sense to invest in buying, STORING, and changing an entire second set of tires/wheels -- for what, one or two weekends a year?

I bought Bridgestone Potenza RE970s about 1500 miles ago because my OEM Michelin Pilot Sports had dry-rotted in 15,000 miles while sitting in my garage in four, yes, four years. And why, do you ask? Because I had to leave my car in the garage all winter long for four, yes, four years, while UNABLE to drive it because it had the stupid summer tires on it and I was not interested in spending a couple of thou for a set of wheels/winter tires that would only be needed for a few hundred miles a year. So, I just let it sit in the winter. Well, no more. The dry-rotted tires were a wake-up call. I do not need to have tires that go rotten because of non-use, nor do I derive much enjoyment from seeing my car sitting in the garage all winter. The Potenzas are the compromise that lets me drive the car year-round with no hassles, no storage, no further expense. I guess if you drive often enough to justify it, maybe it would be worth spending the $$$ and time to buy and change out winter tires/wheels. That may be your cup of tea, but it isn't mine.

Disappointed with the handling? Have you ever actually driven on high performance all-seasons or are you just reading car magazines? Dunno how good they would be in a race, but I don't care because I don't race. They feel good on the street and give me a sense of confidence that I'm not stranded because a cold front suddenly rolls in. I can tell you I'm really happy with the cornering and braking under the conditions I use the Potenzas. I can also certify that the Potenzas handle MUCH better than dry-rotted Michelin Pilot Sports. Anyway, if I exceed the handling limits of the Potenzas, the safety device that always sits in the passenger seat kicks in and stops me anyway. LOL

Last edited by johnsimion; 03-23-2013 at 08:18 PM.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Sure, all-seasons are a compromise. They are a compromise that is ideal for those of us who live in cold climates where we use the Porsche as an occasional weekend car. We don't take the Porsche out if it's going to snow -- duh! -- but it's sure nice to be able to drive on those weekends when it's cold but not snowy. We live in the Midwest where it may be 25 degrees this weekend, 70 the next, 15 the next, 55 the next, etc. etc. Under those circumstances it hardly makes sense to invest in buying, STORING, and changing an entire second set of tires/wheels -- for what, one or two weekends a year?
I think you've successfully argued that all season tires are more convenient for your wallet and garage space. No one is debating that.

The difference of opinion here seems to be based on your impression that a winter tire's only benefit is treading snow. Does it rain during winter where you are? I'm pretty sure it does. Which means you've driven over patches of ice. The amount of snow you get is really just a secondary consideration. Whether you get a little snow or a lot more you're going to be driving over ice all winter long, ditto for sleet and freezing rain just the same. It's called a Winter Tire because it's for all of winter's challenges, not just snow. It really doesn't take very much of a mishap for a driver to lose control and wreck the underside/suspension of a Boxster. And winter is the best season to test the limit of your tires. The compromise during summer for an all season tire isn't really the issue. It's that you are compromising summer performance for very little additional winter performance. So in essence you're giving much for very little. You may think that your all season tire is performing well because you're carrying speed but that's not really the true test. It's when you really need your tires and have to lay into the brakes or take a sharp turn of the wheel to avoid collision. It's sort of like saying "I'm getting along fine without my seatbelt when I drive 80 to 100 mph."

The video below does an excellent job of showing what happens on all seasons when you really need your tires to keep from slamming into the car in front or when the back end steps out in a turn and you end up in the oncoming traffic lane.

YouTube - Winter Tire vs AS over ice

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-23-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #28

[QUOTE=johnsimion;333159]Sure, all-seasons are a compromise. They are a compromise that is ideal for those of us who live in cold climates where we use the Porsche as an occasional weekend car. We don't take the Porsche out if it's going to snow -- duh! -- but it's sure nice to be able to drive on those weekends when it's cold but not snowy. We live in the Midwest where it may be 25 degrees this weekend, 70 the next, 15 the next, 55 the next, etc. etc. Under those circumstances it hardly makes sense to invest in buying, STORING, and changing an entire second set of tires/wheels -- for what, one or two weekends a year?/QUOTE]

In your situation, AS are a good choice. And if you reread the last sentence in the first paragraph you quoted me on, I said they make a good alternative if you live in the mid-South. I think Missouri qualifies as that (don't you play in the SEC now?). Connecticut, not so much.

And unless your weather people are better at predicting than they are here in Husker-land, you can get caught by a bad forecast. There have been plenty of days when you listen to the forecast the night before or before going to work and they say it's going to be nice. Then look out your window at 10am and it's snowing to beat the band. What if you drove your Box because it was supposed to be a non-snow day?

This has turned into quite the thread. Maybe we should calm down by discussing less controversial topics like oil brands, football, or whether IMS failures are hocum. Maybe Perfectlap and I should pipe down and let people answer the OP's original question on which AS tire is best. We've given our opinion and he can take it for what it's worth. We're just trying to assist him in not making a $1K mistake that could turn into more $$$ spent if he wrecks his Box because he chose the wrong tires.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-24-2013 at 03:24 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #29

I run all season tires for three reasons.
1. I live at 8700 ft in the mountains of Colorado. I drive the car on nice summer weekends only, but often travel over high mountain passes, where it can snow even in the middle of summer. You never know when you might pass through a freak storm that leaves snow behind. And, it can get cold, even when it's warm when you leave the house as you travel up in altitude.
2. I have no plans to track my car.
3. They tend to last longer and are easier on my wallet.

I think I'm going to try out some Continental DWS all seasons this time. A friend out here with a 993 swears by them.

Last edited by Dave S.; 03-24-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #30

"Everybody except Joe B has reported that AS tires aren't good in snow."
I didn't say that. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Boxster and they are very very bad on snow!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #31

Continental DWS
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #32

Ow
Quote:

This has turned into quite the thread. Maybe we should calm down by discussing less controversial topics like oil brands, football, or whether IMS failures are hocum. Maybe Perfectlap and I should pipe down and let people answer the OP's original question on which AS tire is best. We've given our opinion and he can take it for what it's worth. We're just trying to assist him in not making a $1K mistake that could turn into more $$$ spent if he wrecks his Box because he chose the wrong tires.
People forget that this is a rear wheel drive car and one that can snap away from you easily. Two not ideal factors for a winter car. I had several seasons of autocross under my belt when i first got the Boxster and still managed to get it spun 180 on a cold damp surface in the first week. Some have posted on here telling of how a very minor spin in the rain got them into a curb/divider and the impact broke the wheels clear off the car. A total loss barely doing 30 mph. These cars are fragile and lightweight.

As far as AS's where there's icy roads...People place far too much confidence in a tire compromise that's not really a compromise because the tread pattern and depth for winter is not remotely similar to what is provided by a non-winter tire. You're neither here nor there. A more flexible compound during freezing temps is only going to give you a marginal advantage over the general capability of a summer tie. Its sort like wearing two layers of swimming trunks to go skiing. Better than oney layer of swimming trunks I suppose...just make sure you stay upright on them skiis. That snow stings.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #33

Conti DWS UHP
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
I said it once and I will say it again. The mich pilot sport A/S are by far the best all seasons i have driven on. Do a search on them on the forum to find some of my postings. Around $859 installed and balanced at Costco.
I have these and they are great, unless you fancy yourself an Andretti. After 8000 miles, no signs of wear at all, and my 2.5 can't push her hard enough to get me into anything these tires are not up for.