986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please suggest all-Season tires (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43738)

lurky 03-22-2013 09:10 AM

Please suggest all-Season tires

Hello,
I have a 2007 Boxster and I'm looking for all-season tires because changing them every year is a headache.
According to tire rack, these are my choices for all-season tires:
-Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Ultra High Performance All-Season
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra High Performance All-Season
-Yokohama ADVAN S.4. Ultra High Performance All-Season

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

lifeisgood 03-22-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurky (Post 332878)
Hello,
I have a 2007 Boxster and I'm looking for all-season tires because changing them every year is a headache.

Just bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Ultra High Performance All-Season today. Heard a lot of good things about it. Suppose to last much longer than those overpriced Michellin PS2 i had.

Firestone is having a Sale right now.

BYprodriver 03-22-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Hello,

Choosing tires for any vehicle is easy. Whatever is the most expensive Michelin for your application.
If for some reason they don't make your size I would choose the Conti's from your list.
Traditionally a conservative brand that last a long time.

CoBeerToad 03-22-2013 10:51 AM

Bought my car a year and a half ago with bald tires. Bought Goodyears (I'd have to guess they were the Eagle F1s) and I'm very pleased with them. However this is my first Porsche and these are the only tires I have had besides the bald ones so I have nothing to compare them too, but I am very satisfied with them on dry and wet pavement.

laphan 03-22-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hello,

I used to have the RE960AS which RE970AS replaced. They were fantastic tires, did very well in wet and dry. They were okay for light snow.
I got close to 40K miles from RE960AS, I heard RE970AS should be better than RE960AS.
My vote would be the RE970AS....

Autobot152 03-22-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hello,

do you mean you are changing from summer tires to winter tires every year? do you get a lot of snow in your area? or are you going thru performance tires every year? more info will help with recommendations.

thom4782 03-22-2013 12:10 PM

My 100K+ 01S has had three sets of tires: Michelin, Perelli, and most recently Bridgestone RE760 Sports. I like the Bridgestone tires the best. They provide, a comfortable ride, were quiet, performed well in dry and wet conditions and lasted more than 30K miles.

I will replace the Bridgestone tires in the next few months. The only question in my mind is whether to buy the RE760s again or switch to the RE970AS model. The 970s will last about 20% longer. If I become convinced the 970s are as quiet and comfortable as the 760s, the I'll buy the 970s.

Of course, it doesn't snow where I live so I can't comment on how well Bridgestone tires perform in the winter.

JFP in PA 03-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laphan (Post 332904)
I used to have the RE960AS which RE970AS replaced. They were fantastic tires, did very well in wet and dry. They were okay for light snow.
I got close to 40K miles from RE960AS, I heard RE970AS should be better than RE960AS.
My vote would be the RE970AS....

I would agree, I have the RE960AS on my daily driver (non Porsche, but still performance oriented) and the overall cold, wet, and light snow performance has been outstanding.

Perfectlap 03-22-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I also live where it snows. That being said, all season tires are a waste imho.
They are useless if you get caught out in fast/heavy accumulation during winter, has happened to me more than a few times, and are far from ideal in the summer. Granted having a 2nd car with AWD is probably best but I didn't have that option, I only drive weekends as it is.

I too got tired of changing over the tires and the $180-$200 charge so I simply bought a replica set of wheels ($600) mounted with legit snow tires. And even with the full snow tires there have been a few times when they were just making it up a hill. All seasons would have been sliding backwards. With a $20 race jack from Harbor Freight and a decent Craftsman or Bosch impact gun you can change from Summer wheels to winter wheels in 15 minutes. Repeat when spring rolls around. You'll put significantly fewer miles on your expensive tires and your nicer set of wheels will take less of a beating on salted roads. Wet weather performance will also be better on snow tires during cold temps.

husker boxster 03-22-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 332919)
I also live where it snows. That being said, all season tires are a waste imho.
They are useless if you get caught out in fast/heavy accumulation during winter, has happened to me more than a few times, and are far from ideal in the summer. Granted having a 2nd car with AWD is probably best but I didn't have that option, I only drive weekends as it is.

I too got tired of changing over the tires and the $180-$200 charge so I simply bought a replica set of wheels ($600) mounted with legit snow tires. And even with the full snow tires there have been a few times when they were just making it up a hill. All seasons would have been sliding backwards. With a $20 race jack from Harbor Freight and a decent Craftsman or Bosch impact gun you can change from Summer wheels to winter wheels in 15 minutes. Repeat when spring rolls around. You'll put significantly fewer miles on your expensive tires and your nicer set of wheels will take less of a beating on salted roads. Wet weather performance will also be better on snow tires during cold temps.

I couldn't agree more. All season tires are a compromise. If you were looking for a skinny 15" tire, AS tires might be fine because they could compromise towards the snow ability. But we're talking about a 16"-18" tire that has to be capable of 150mph speeds. What direction do you think they'll compromise towards? It's not snow capability. If you lived in the mid-south, maybe you could get by with an AS tire, but not in CT.

And if you plan to keep them on year round, you'll be disappointed with the high performance capabilities too. Jack of (almost) all trades, master of none.

Perfectlap nailed it. Get a 2nd set of wheels and a dedicated set of snows. I don't have an impact wrench but can complete the job in 30 min with my race jack.

Joe B 03-22-2013 12:58 PM

Ok. I have to chime in. People who say all season tires are a waste, answer this. Which tires would you use to drive from Wyoming to Arizona, California, or Oregon (places I often go) in any season other than summer? My Michelin Pilot Super Sports are pretty useless in the slightest amount of snow, and Blizzaks would wear out really quickly on hot, dry roads. So why would all season tires be a bad choice? If I were only going to drive around home, where it can snow any time from October through May, snow tires on extra rims would make sense, but what about 2-3,000 mile road trips when it might snow? I've been thinking about the RE970AS Bridgestones, or these Kumhos:
Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 225/40R18XL - Free Shipping | TireBuyer.com

Perfectlap 03-22-2013 01:13 PM

^ your's might be the only situation where an all season makes sense. Most get their seasons one at a time. But that being said, I'm not sure many would brave it in places like Wyoming, with a Boxster as their primary car, on a light duty winter tire. I guess you only drive the Boxster on those tires at the very start of winter and the very end of it?

Joe B 03-22-2013 02:33 PM

I drove on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in November (when I got the car) and in February and March, when there was no snow on the roads. Contrary to what others have said, they work fine on cold (as low as 10 degrees F) dry pavement, if you use common sense and take it easy, just as you would on snow or ice, even with snow tires. But I would like to buy a tire that would allow me to take trips in spring and fall, when it can possibly snow, even as far south as central Utah, or west going to Portland Oregon, where my daughter lives. I even got a PM from someone here asking about a May trip through Yellowstone Park, and if all-season tires might be a good idea. My response was that it certainly can snow in Yellowstone in May!

Steve03986 03-22-2013 02:38 PM

I bought a set of Kumho Ecsta 4s and mounted them on an extra set of Turbo Twists for driving in the cold weather. Very satisfied with them.

stephen wilson 03-22-2013 04:11 PM

The Bridgestones are good tires, but not great in the snow, I've used the 960/970 on my wife's RSX. We went with the DWS's 2 years ago as the top-rated all-season in snow. Sadly, we've had no snow to speak of in those 2 years!

lurky 03-23-2013 04:13 AM

Im the OP. I live in Connecticut so Snow and Ice are a factor. If its really bad I don't drive the Porsche. How great is the difference between winter tires and all season in the snow? Would my best option be to get a second set of wheels and change them myself? Wouldn't you then need balancing and alignment from a shop which is the headache I'm trying to avoid?

recycledsixtie 03-23-2013 04:50 AM

I bought used a set of rims and blizzak snow tires for my Boxster that apparently came off a 911. I just use the car in the city in winter with the winter tires only and never get stuck. I put them on in October and take them off in late April. The back end breaks away easily but are very satisfactory. I would never consider driving here in winter without snow tires. If I drive to Arizona or California next November then I would stick with the winter tires there and back. If there is premature wear so be it. And I did not buy the Boxster for good gas mileage either! Better than getting stuck.:)

recycledsixtie 03-23-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurky (Post 333013)
Im the OP. I live in Connecticut so Snow and Ice are a factor. If its really bad I don't drive the Porsche. How great is the difference between winter tires and all season in the snow? Would my best option be to get a second set of wheels and change them myself? Wouldn't you then need balancing and alignment from a shop which is the headache I'm trying to avoid?

I have no idea how all season radials are in the snow. As my previous comment says, snow tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer. So it is an inconvenience to have two sets of rims but it is an easy changeover even if u do it yourself. As the above poster says the expensive summer tires last longer because you are using them only half the year. Get them balanced - both sets and be done with it. Nothing worse than getting stuck in all season radials. We have 3 feet of snow in our backyard. Drivers are getting stuck in the streets here with the recent 10 inches of snow and I would put $$$$ on it they are using all season radials. This is the first time this winter that I have not driven the Boxster on the streets because of the snow depth. Here if you use winter tires you can get a discount on your auto insurance as well. Plan for the worst case scenario and you will be better prepared.:)

stephen wilson 03-23-2013 05:10 AM

It all depends on your usage. If you don't PLAN on driving it in the snow, and just want to be prepared if you get caught, IMO dedicated snows would be a waste, and they handle like crap on dry roads.

CoBeerToad 03-23-2013 05:29 AM

Do all season tires get better mileage (not mpg, but wear) than... "summer" tires on average?