Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Boxster Death

Today at 12:54pm, I was informed that my Boxster was pronounced dead (total lost). I had a accident causing damage to the driver front quarter. The airbag also deployed. A supplement was sent in for additional damage, that is when the decision was made. She was taken from me after such a short relationship. She had potential and definitely was a looker. I will now began the fight with the insurance company. Any advice is much appreciated!!! I would ask that Please respect the privacy and family at this difficult time. Please no cameras or interviews will be conducted.

Age008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Sorry about your loss. And hopefully the insurance company will be understanding and not cause you too much trouble. But with the death of one boxster may bring the birth of another. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and it seems that no one was hurt so that is always good. Good Luck.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Garage
Oh man, that's a bummer. I'm glad you are alive though. Like Bmod986 said, hopefully everything goes smoothly, and good luck.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
I don't mean to be callous at this difficult time but a heart(ie. engine) transplant being donated or sold would make a suitable recipient very happy......
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I don't mean to be callous at this difficult time but a heart(ie. engine) transplant being donated or sold would make a suitable recipient very happy......
Transplant?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age008 View Post
Transplant?
Yes I am really sorry for your loss. Seeing that you said the damage was to the front of the car only, then the engine could still be good. Now if you made a deal with the insurance co. to purchase the wreck at minimal $$$, then you could possibly sell the engine(assuming it was a good engine etc.) to somebody that needed it. The profit from the sale of engine and other parts of the car could mitigate your grief. Just my .05 cents worth....

Are you going to buy another Boxster when your ins. co. settles with you?
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

Garage
Hey guy, feel your pain..........

Mine has been in a coma for the last three weeks, but the doctors had good news yesterday that she woke up and is primed.

Going down Monday to bring a couple of parts I had wanted painted at the same time they spray the car and also to go over the body before being painted.

Travis
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

The insurance company will sell the carcase to a junk yard and they will part it out. The engine will be a transplant having gone through several middlemen who add cost and serve as a distribution mechanism.

Been there, felt the loss. Never thought they would total my car but they stopped counting at around $25k when I thought there was perhaps $5k damage. I'm sure someone got my engine, transmission and who knows what other parts.

On the good side of my experience, I was paid $3k more than I paid for the car 5 months prior. And I upgraded 2 year to an S model for the money. May your experience be as good.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
... if you made a deal with the insurance co. to purchase the wreck at minimal $$$...
Part out partay!!!
Ohh sorry... got carried away at this time of mourning.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Garage
That's an option Recycledsixtie!!! I will check on it Monday and get back with you. I only had quarter panel damage. The main cost I was told was the air bag and all of the associated sensors. The adjustment added the radiator and a couple other parts. Sent it over the 19k mark. I hope I don't get ripped. I just bought the car in September so i still have a loan out. I will definitely get another boxster!!!!!!!!!!!! I found an 09 at a decent price. Hopefully it will still be available by the time we settle on an amount.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
l3m

Good luck. Hope to see you soon in an '09.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #12

I'm sorry for your loss. She will be missed.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

With one fewer on the road, is mine worth more??
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

Yes. I think the math works out to $3.12 more.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
With one fewer on the road, is mine worth more??

Now thats funny!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age008 View Post
I will now began the fight with the insurance company.
If you're serious, hire a lawyer. You don't have much of a chance going it alone. They have a full staff of people who jobs are to mess with you for as long as it takes to get you to cave in.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #17

So sorry for your loss . . .

Which insurance company is it? I think we should start a tally of the good/bad companies here on the forum. Then this forum will be bought out by a consortium of insurance companies just to shut us up.

Did you ever notice there don't seem to be rating websites for insurance or real estate agents? Plenty of ratings for plumbers and electricians, though . . .
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #18

Garage
Check the Black Book value and then add in any extras you installed. The Adjuster should do that but you can double check his numbers by doing your own homework.

Buying back your car could be cheaper than you realize. I had a '93 Toyota pick-up when someone left turned me and I T-boned his ass. The insurance company paid me $6,700...I bought my truck back for $500. Best deal I ever made and I still have my truck (look in my "Garage", it's white).

Sounds like your car isn't that bad, sheet metal only. Put a new fender on and drive that thing!! Airbag and sensors? Just make sure your seat belt is on...I do every time I drive my VW bug (no, it doesn't have airbags neither).
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #19

Garage
CRAZY UPDATE!!! I received a call from my Insurance provider. They have decided to repair my car! They stated they were too far into the car already with repairs. Has anyone ever heard of this???They would also approve any other supplement repairs related to the accident. Talk about a roller coaster. I feel like an ex came back into my life because she is prego! LOL
Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #20

it appears to be a miracle...

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote