Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I think you have it backwards. the oldest Porsche would develop your driving skill on the track most, as the car is doing the least amount of work. For the street the new tech smooth out the rough roads, save your butt in bad weather and the downsides of things like electronic steering aren't as damaging to the driving experience on the street as it would be on the track. And from a safety perspective I'm not crazy about driving old anything on the street. Four points might do the trick on the track but I wouldn't want to test them out in a wreck with an SUV.
I kind of agree with these points. For street use, I want a car with great brakes...acceleration is less important. I want great handling, and am less interested in the quality of the interior materials. The streets are dangerous, and I want the improved dynamics that are common to newer cars, which make driving more enjoyable and safer, too.

Last edited by VGM911; 02-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #22

My BMW 335i is substantially faster than my Boxster base, but I find myself having a lot more fun in the Boxster. You have to pull back quickly if you accelerate in the 335i, be it on a normal street or on the highway. It just goes too fast.

The Boxster on the other hand, you can keep your foot down much longer and enjoy the wonderful engine revving and still not be going as fast. It gives you a good few seconds extra of enjoyment.

Heck, I used to always want faster, faster, and faster. Now I am valuing the car's responsiveness and other factors much more.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote