View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
NoGaBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
To take this principle to the extreme if you get a Miata and drive it to 60 mph it is actually a lot of fun . Try that in a Boxster S and you will be jamming on the brakes to hold it back(I would imagine anyway) and you will be constantly exceeding the speed limits.

This hasn't been my experience. Bought a Miata in 94. Then built a 225hp turbo Miata in 98. Then bought a factory turbo Miata in 2004. Then bought my S in late 2004.

I have not found a single area where I felt any of the Miatas was better than the S; maybe fuel economy, but honestly, given the vastly different hp level and much lighter weight, the Miata even sucks at that compared to the Porsche.

I love Miatas to this day. Best friend has a 2008 that I get to drive. But to put forth the idea that the Miata allows you to do things you just can't do in an S because the Porsche is just too dang fast... well, honestly, that's the party line on Miata.net, which I frequent weekly and have since 99. Great site, but people tend to romanticize the lack of power in the Miata.

The Boxster 2.7, 2.5 and 2.9 are all great cars, no doubt about it. The 3.2 and the 3.4 are just a little bit faster version of same. In no way do we run out of headroom so fast that the car isn't any fun!

I've not yet driven a 991, but spent lots of time in a 987 Spyder, the fastest Boxster yet, I would imagine, and the difference in his 315hp and my 265 was, honestly, barely noticeable on the street. Certainly not like the difference in driving a Carrera and a Turbo.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote