View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
rondocap

Drove a 987 S - my thoughts vs my 986

So I drove a 2007 987 S manual. I have a 2001 Base manual currently.

Some interesting comparisons I drew up:

The interior is definitely better quality, feels a bit better put together. The clutch also felt a bit easier to use. The seat was a bit softer and more comfortable, as well.

Now, here is where I was surprised. The car just did not sound as good as my base Boxster. The s seems to have a lower, fuller sound, which starts at a lower RPM than the base, but does not increase as gloriously.

For example, my Boxster sounds weak under 5k, but after 5K, it sounds glorious and just screams - the sound enters the cabin well even with the top up. In the 987 S, I felt the sound more subdued and lacking that edge.

Is that strange or just my impression of it? I did read somewhere that some people prefer the sound of the 2.7 vs the 3.2 or 3.4 in this case.

Otherwise, acceleration was better obviously - not night and day, but gradually better. I think I'd be happy in a base 987 too, it definitely has a different character than the S. (It needs to be revved out a bit more and while slower, may equal out in terms of satisfaction.

The ride was better, and steering easier on the 987 too.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote