Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5
Garage
Help!!!! Door Problems

Okay, I've owned my 99' Boxster for about two weeks, a few days ago I noticed that when I opened the drivers door the window would go down like normal then return up and 'clip' the jam so I had to close it with my hand on the latch to get it to close correctly, I've learned to live with that as I'm low on money after the down payment, insurance, etc. but now when I go over a small bump the interior lights will turn on as if the door is ajar. Because my car thinks it's door is open my passenger door wont lock and the drivers I have to do by hand as the keyless lock stopped working this morning I am assumeing because of the door.

it's a 99' Arctic Silver, Black interior, Black top, Boxster. Thank you for any help you might be able to give. I'm hoping it's something stupid that I messed up and can fix by closing the door and opening a certain number of times or disconnecting the battery.

RussCatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,596
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCatalano View Post
Okay, I've owned my 99' Boxster for about two weeks, a few days ago I noticed that when I opened the drivers door the window would go down like normal then return up and 'clip' the jam so I had to close it with my hand on the latch to get it to close correctly, I've learned to live with that as I'm low on money after the down payment, insurance, etc. but now when I go over a small bump the interior lights will turn on as if the door is ajar. Because my car thinks it's door is open my passenger door wont lock and the drivers I have to do by hand as the keyless lock stopped working this morning I am assumeing because of the door.

it's a 99' Arctic Silver, Black interior, Black top, Boxster. Thank you for any help you might be able to give. I'm hoping it's something stupid that I messed up and can fix by closing the door and opening a certain number of times or disconnecting the battery.
very common issue with boxster.
you will have to replace the micro switch on the door lock mechanism.
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/38044-door-locks.html
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCatalano View Post
Okay, I've owned my 99' Boxster for about two weeks, a few days ago I noticed that when I opened the drivers door the window would go down like normal then return up and 'clip' the jam so I had to close it with my hand on the latch to get it to close correctly, I've learned to live with that as I'm low on money after the down payment, insurance, etc. but now when I go over a small bump the interior lights will turn on as if the door is ajar. Because my car thinks it's door is open my passenger door wont lock and the drivers I have to do by hand as the keyless lock stopped working this morning I am assumeing because of the door.

it's a 99' Arctic Silver, Black interior, Black top, Boxster. Thank you for any help you might be able to give. I'm hoping it's something stupid that I messed up and can fix by closing the door and opening a certain number of times or disconnecting the battery.
Indications of a failed door locking mechanism, there is a micro switch that fails on these units.
Porsche Boxster 97-04 - Panels & Doors - Page 1

__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5
Garage
Thank you!! Looks like it's going to be a 300 fix , any tips for locking the doors or a temp fix? thank you for the help and quick responses. Was really hoping it was my fault. Now I don't have the money because, well, first Porsche!!!!
RussCatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,596
Garage
i think you can get just the micro switch insted of the whole assembly.
Pelican Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW

there is another one located on the external door lever mechanism.

you will be able to diagnose it better with the door cover removed.
you might be able to solve the issue by simply cleaning it with electronic cleaner spry.

edit: links for parts.
Micro switch on door lock mechanism (part 20):
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/807-10.php
Micro switch on door external lever (part 14):
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/804-20.php

Last edited by Meir; 01-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,596
Garage
on second thought, when you describe the scenario, is that from inside or outside the car ?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5
Garage
outside of the car is when it wont lock, inside while driving is when I have the problems with the lights, when using outside handle the window goes right back up but on inside I think it works normally.
RussCatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
on second thought, when you describe the scenario, is that from inside or outside the car ?
outside of the car is when it wont lock, inside while driving is when I have the problems with the lights, when using outside handle the window goes right back up but on inside I think it works normally.
RussCatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Registered User
 
thom4782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Foster City CA
Posts: 1,095
It does sound as if the micro-switch has failed. Once the car doesn't sense correctly the actual position of the window all sorts of weird symptoms occur. One question: does the window behave in a similar way on the passenger side? The reason for the question is to narrow down which micro-switch failed. Each door has its own set.

Last edited by thom4782; 01-18-2013 at 12:49 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,596
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCatalano View Post
outside of the car is when it wont lock, inside while driving is when I have the problems with the lights, when using outside handle the window goes right back up but on inside I think it works normally.
don't take me on my word, but it looks like the one on the external lever is the one in fault.
this should help you find your problem.
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Lock Mechanism / Boxster Door Handle - 986 / 987

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Panel Removal / Boxster Mirror Switch Replacement - 986 / 987

if you live in my area, ill be happy to land a hand.
edit: just noticed you are from Colorado.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5
Garage
Thank you for the offer, the shop in town quoted me $370 eek. I've never been good with working on cars and stuff but I happen to know another mechanic from Porsche and he agreed to help me install the $50 part myself. Before I order this I noticed the doors are loose, like I can lift them a little with the handle while open. Maybe this is the problem? It does explain the lights going on and off with bumps in the road. I'm going to call the local shops and see how much it would cost to just tighten them since I have no access to the hex tool in the awkward slot it is in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
don't take me on my word, but it looks like the one on the external lever is the one in fault.
this should help you find your problem.
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Lock Mechanism / Boxster Door Handle - 986 / 987

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Panel Removal / Boxster Mirror Switch Replacement - 986 / 987

if you live in my area, ill be happy to land a hand.
edit: just noticed you are from Colorado.

RussCatalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page