Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #1

Garage
Smile Achilles tire

has anybody heard of ACHILLES TIRES ATR Sports

the1andonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #2

I have them on the rear of my car. Installed by the PO. I like the way the tread looks
and I was just waiting to see how long they last.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #3

Garage
Saw the post title, and thinking of "Achilles Heel", figured it was a story about a tire that kept going flat or something.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The Achilles ATR Sport is marketed as a high treadwear (UTQG 400) and long lasting tire that is supposed to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel mileage.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Anyone else run these? I am thinking about picking up some.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #6

Achilles tires are made in Indonesia. ....Rubber trees grow well there.No ,mention of quality standards.
This is an alternative?
http://www.gizmag.com/z-tyre-diamond-gold-leaf-most-expensive-tires-world/43890/

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-16-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Hello,

didn't had it on the car. Found a german summer tyre test: http://www.reifen-goeggel.de/fileadmin/user_upload/reifentests/Aubi12_09_074-081_Reifentest_1_.pdf

Tyre wasn't in the Top 10, so they didn't test in detail. Tyre was tested in the dimension 225/45/R17 on a BMW 3 series. Achilles ATR was on place 29 of 50 tested tyres.

Best stopping distance on dry ground was 35,2 metres. Achilles ATR was 38,1 metres.
Best stopping distance on wet ground was 44 metres. Achilles ATR was 50,7 metres.

In general it seems to be a low budget tyre which is not that bad. Also seems that the tyres seems to be a lot smaller than the nominal wide – which can be problematic with parking and kerbstones.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

I have had 4 pairs (slow learner), they have all failed inner sidewalls, one set was due to underinflation the others are just the poor design of the tyre, if you have a light car with no neg camber they maybe ok, my tyre guy has stopped selling them because of so many returns, there are much better cheap brands around,
cheers Russ...
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #9

Just searching for tyre info and saw this, sorry to dig up an old thread but think ist worth mentioning.

ATR Sport are fitted to the rear of my 03 S. Previous owner fitted them to pass our National car Test in Ireland before I bought the car.

They are OK in the dry but they are not good in the damp / wet. IMO they have no place on a car with any degree of performance whatsoever. This set has about 4k miles on them and will be replaced ASAP after a club run last night where the back let go three times without much provocation at all. Tyre-reviews confirm their poor wet performance.

Best avoided.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #10

I'm not trying to be flippant here but can someone explain why you would install an off brand tire like this in a car that was engineered for maximum performance? I just tossed a set of Sumitomo's, even though they were only at 8/32, that the PO installed. I drove on the tires a few hundred miles and installed MPSS to take advantage of what the car has to offer. MPSS Cup tires would be nice to have but for street a bit of an over kill.
Dave in Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #11

I would say he put them on because they were cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:19 AM   #12
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
When I bought my current Boxster it came with brand new Achilles ATR on the rear and used P Zero on the front. The difference in grip was awful. Oversteer in mild bends at moderate speed without even trying.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Howell View Post
I'm not trying to be flippant here but can someone explain why you would install an off brand tire like this in a car that was engineered for maximum performance? I just tossed a set of Sumitomo's, even though they were only at 8/32, that the PO installed. I drove on the tires a few hundred miles and installed MPSS to take advantage of what the car has to offer. MPSS Cup tires would be nice to have but for street a bit of an over kill.
Well Dave in Howell, there's a lot of us here that use sumitumo and find them to be just fine. I put a set on my box last year and have been very pleased with the performance. I do not track my car but do a fair amount of spirited driving. Plus, the sumitumo last a lot longer than the pss and are 1/3 the price. Before I had sumis I had bf Goodrich comp sports. Those were also a great tire. There's more than one way to crack a nut.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Well Dave in Howell, there's a lot of us here that use sumitumo and find them to be just fine. I put a set on my box last year and have been very pleased with the performance. I do not track my car but do a fair amount of spirited driving. Plus, the sumitumo last a lot longer than the pss and are 1/3 the price. Before I had sumis I had bf Goodrich comp sports. Those were also a great tire. There's more than one way to crack a nut.
Agreed. I put Sumitomo tires on 17 months ago and they're great. Love the look and wet/dry performance. Much better than my previous tires at 1/3 the cost. They are wearing better so far, too.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Can't disagree that it comes down to personal preference related to a number of factors. My positive experience with my 997 when moving from Conti was dramatic and I just loved how the MPSS transformed the car. Since the Boxster is a third car for me wear is not a big concern.

Dave in Howell is offline   Reply With Quote