986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Achilles tire (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41917)

the1andonly 01-01-2013 01:22 AM

Achilles tire

has anybody heard of ACHILLES TIRES ATR Sports

Chief 01-01-2013 05:05 AM

I have them on the rear of my car. Installed by the PO. I like the way the tread looks
and I was just waiting to see how long they last.

grubinski 01-01-2013 08:01 AM

Saw the post title, and thinking of "Achilles Heel", figured it was a story about a tire that kept going flat or something. :)

thstone 01-01-2013 09:40 AM

The Achilles ATR Sport is marketed as a high treadwear (UTQG 400) and long lasting tire that is supposed to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel mileage.

professorman 06-16-2016 11:44 AM

Anyone else run these? I am thinking about picking up some.

Gelbster 06-16-2016 12:04 PM

Achilles tires are made in Indonesia. ....Rubber trees grow well there.No ,mention of quality standards.
This is an alternative?
http://www.gizmag.com/z-tyre-diamond-gold-leaf-most-expensive-tires-world/43890/

Smallblock454 06-16-2016 01:11 PM

Hello,

didn't had it on the car. Found a german summer tyre test: http://www.reifen-goeggel.de/fileadmin/user_upload/reifentests/Aubi12_09_074-081_Reifentest_1_.pdf

Tyre wasn't in the Top 10, so they didn't test in detail. Tyre was tested in the dimension 225/45/R17 on a BMW 3 series. Achilles ATR was on place 29 of 50 tested tyres.

Best stopping distance on dry ground was 35,2 metres. Achilles ATR was 38,1 metres.
Best stopping distance on wet ground was 44 metres. Achilles ATR was 50,7 metres.

In general it seems to be a low budget tyre which is not that bad. Also seems that the tyres seems to be a lot smaller than the nominal wide – which can be problematic with parking and kerbstones.

Regards, Markus

rusty69911 06-16-2016 08:02 PM

I have had 4 pairs (slow learner), they have all failed inner sidewalls, one set was due to underinflation the others are just the poor design of the tyre, if you have a light car with no neg camber they maybe ok, my tyre guy has stopped selling them because of so many returns, there are much better cheap brands around,
cheers Russ...

Traco 07-12-2017 05:36 AM

Just searching for tyre info and saw this, sorry to dig up an old thread but think ist worth mentioning.

ATR Sport are fitted to the rear of my 03 S. Previous owner fitted them to pass our National car Test in Ireland before I bought the car.

They are OK in the dry but they are not good in the damp / wet. IMO they have no place on a car with any degree of performance whatsoever. This set has about 4k miles on them and will be replaced ASAP after a club run last night where the back let go three times without much provocation at all. Tyre-reviews confirm their poor wet performance.

Best avoided.

Dave in Howell 07-14-2017 07:13 PM

I'm not trying to be flippant here but can someone explain why you would install an off brand tire like this in a car that was engineered for maximum performance? I just tossed a set of Sumitomo's, even though they were only at 8/32, that the PO installed. I drove on the tires a few hundred miles and installed MPSS to take advantage of what the car has to offer. MPSS Cup tires would be nice to have but for street a bit of an over kill.

Traco 07-15-2017 01:41 AM

I would say he put them on because they were cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edc 07-15-2017 05:19 AM

When I bought my current Boxster it came with brand new Achilles ATR on the rear and used P Zero on the front. The difference in grip was awful. Oversteer in mild bends at moderate speed without even trying.

jdraupp 07-17-2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in Howell (Post 544070)
I'm not trying to be flippant here but can someone explain why you would install an off brand tire like this in a car that was engineered for maximum performance? I just tossed a set of Sumitomo's, even though they were only at 8/32, that the PO installed. I drove on the tires a few hundred miles and installed MPSS to take advantage of what the car has to offer. MPSS Cup tires would be nice to have but for street a bit of an over kill.

Well Dave in Howell, there's a lot of us here that use sumitumo and find them to be just fine. I put a set on my box last year and have been very pleased with the performance. I do not track my car but do a fair amount of spirited driving. Plus, the sumitumo last a lot longer than the pss and are 1/3 the price. Before I had sumis I had bf Goodrich comp sports. Those were also a great tire. There's more than one way to crack a nut.

particlewave 07-17-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 544292)
Well Dave in Howell, there's a lot of us here that use sumitumo and find them to be just fine. I put a set on my box last year and have been very pleased with the performance. I do not track my car but do a fair amount of spirited driving. Plus, the sumitumo last a lot longer than the pss and are 1/3 the price. Before I had sumis I had bf Goodrich comp sports. Those were also a great tire. There's more than one way to crack a nut.

Agreed. I put Sumitomo tires on 17 months ago and they're great. Love the look and wet/dry performance. Much better than my previous tires at 1/3 the cost. They are wearing better so far, too.

Dave in Howell 07-18-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 544292)

Can't disagree that it comes down to personal preference related to a number of factors. My positive experience with my 997 when moving from Conti was dramatic and I just loved how the MPSS transformed the car. Since the Boxster is a third car for me wear is not a big concern.