Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
02 box s

Litronics

I had planned on buying the led projector lights from the other thread, but I have seen a couple of used litronics go for a similar price lately. Are used lits plug and play? I understand that there won't be self leveling, but what about high beams? Will they adjust up?

sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #2

They will only swing up to fill in the high beams if the control module is installed, otherwise they will not move.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Brad, I had the non leveling litronics as an upgrade. Not only did I think they looked cooler, they were a dramatic improvement in night vision.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They will only swing up to fill in the high beams if the control module is installed, otherwise they will not move.
Thanks for the replies. Can the control module be installed after the fact to control the hi lo beams? I am not interested in the self leveling feature, although it would be nice. Just looking to have hi lo beams.

Last edited by sgt brad; 11-25-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

I had high and low beams and all I did was plug and play. If anything, leveling the lamps with the not very well designed turn screws is the tricky part. I just used my overhead door, and kept tuning them after night drives till I had them perfect. Porsche recommends putting 150 lbs in the drivers seat when leveling the lights so having someone to sit in it will eliminate the extra steps I took.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Thanks for the replies. Can the control module be installed after the fact to control the hi lo beams? I am not interested in the self leveling feature, although it would be nice. Just looking to have hi lo beams.
Yes, the module can be installed afterwards; it does a great job of filling in the halogen high beams and really increases night vision on open country roads. Well worth the investment.

Even without the module, you would still have xenon low beams and halogen high beams, the high beams just would not be as bright because the low beam xenon’s remained focused low.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
02 box s

thanks ya'll for the input. i will look up the cost of the module, but good to know that hi lo works regardless.

brad
Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #8

Brad:

If you are cost conscious, you might think of used parts from a dismantler. Oklahoma Foreign or DC Automotive are examples. New the module is about $500 and the two required tilt sensors for the front and back suspensions are something like $90 a piece. I don't know what the price of the wiring harness is. With a dismantler, you'll pay about half.

As folks have said, the Litronics themselves are plug and play. I don't think the tilt feature is. My understanding is that a new module must be activated so the car recognizes it. If I am correct, you might need a code for the module from the seller so it can be programmed by a dealer or a independent shop. So check with a repair place first to see if the car can accept the module's commands.

The following URL describes generalyl how to install wiring for the tilt feature. It's for a system similar to Porsche's so it will give you a good idea how to do it. You have to sort few a few layers of pages, but it's there.

Installing the New Wiring Harness for Litronics

Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Brad:

As folks have said, the Litronics themselves are plug and play. I don't think the tilt feature is. My understanding is that a new module must be activated so the car recognizes it. If I am correct, you might need a code for the module from the seller so it can be programmed by a dealer or a independent shop. So check with a repair place first to see if the car can accept the module's commands.
The module to control the "swing up" high beam fill requires no activation or codes of any sort. You wire it up, it works...................
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

I'm new to the world of modern Porsche complexities. The last car I did my own work on was a highly modified 924. So my advice for some of these 986 questions is a best guess at best

My understanding that programming was needed for a new leveling control module was based on my reading the Porsche diagnostic manual. It said to use the PST2 to have the car recognize the new module and to calibrate the tilt.

This is an important question to me because my factory litronics seem like they aren't working right. The headlight adjustment harness was unplugged from the passenger side headlight assembly for 6 months+. I plugged it back in late last week and the headlights now tilt up to the high position by default. I can rotate them to the middle and low positions using my durametric, but they always return to the high position. I figure there are three possible causes - the tilt is mis-calibrated, a bad sensor, or a bad control module. If I have to put in a new control module, I'd love to avoid taking it to the dealer for programming.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #11

With factory installed Lits, which automatically included level control feature, that is correct; but it does not apply to post delivery installed units, which can only swing up to fill in the high beams, or remain stationary.

In your case, a PST II or PIWIS is needed to setup the atuo level system.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote