Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Pup

Another New guy - location: Maine

Hello All,

A couple of weeks a go I purchased a 2000 Boxster S, Arctic Silver, Factory matching hardtop, Black leather, 53,ooo miles.. It came with Hardtop cover and wall hanging rack, full car cover, all service records from 2005, new tires front and rear, screen/mesh hoops for roll bars and roll bar wind screen plexi.. The car is exceptionally clean and very well maintained, so far I am really enjoying it. I am the 3rd owner.

I have no plans to do anything to it but drive it for a while.. Although it has the factory orignal 17's and they are not my favorite. I'm keeping my eyes open. I like the 5 spoke, staggered style, or something in graphite with polished outer rim. I think a silver car needs the contrast... We'll see. I don't mind staying with 17's as long as they are correct for the car, as I can swap over the new rubber.

I will post some pix as soon as I take some.

I purchased the vehicle from a Boston Porsche Dealer. "Porsche of Norwell" , the sales reps name was Mark Webber... The entire trasaction was flawless and my wife and I were treated like royalty. Very highly recommend them!

Getting cold here in Maine, but, I will drive it until the 1st snow flies, then I will put it up in my heated barn.

I enjoy this site and spend quite a bit of time here lately. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Oh, One question, where do you guys keep your coffee when u drive? I need my coffee!

Pup

Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Welcome to the board. I do not use the factory cupholders on the dash as coffee can leak onto the buttons below. I bought a cheapo cupholder from Can. Tire that slots next to the window. There are lots of more expensive ones that have various attachments.
Cheers G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Garage
Congratulations from one New Englander to another. While the boxster is put away for the season, you should consider following my Danger Winter Work series. You'll be amazed on how you'll be conditioned going into the next year's driving season ! Here's a couple of sample videos !

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/33543-winter-workout-2012-part-ii.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/33006-winter-workout-2012-a.html
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Greetings from another Boxster in ME. You'll love it!
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Pup

Thanks all!

DMAIRSPOTTER,

Where in Maine are you ? I am just outside or Portland and Falmouth, in Westbrook.

Last edited by Pup; 11-16-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #6

Pup

I'm in Cape. There are a few other Boxsters here also.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #7

Welcome

I purchased cup holders from the ultimate cup holder at http://www.ultimatecupholders.com
I really like them because you can put a mug or cup with a lid in it and still drive like it was intended to be driven without a spill. Christmas is coming so treat yourself or drop a hint where needed.

Again welcome and enjoy.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Cupholder? That's what the passenger is for.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
I purchased cup holders from the ultimate cup holder at BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
I really like them because you can put a mug or cup with a lid in it and still drive like it was intended to be driven without a spill. Christmas is coming so treat yourself or drop a hint where needed.

Again welcome and enjoy.
I'll second those cup holders. They are a bit pricey but well worth it. No spills!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #10

Garage
This is what you need my friend.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
Hi @Pup,

Welcome to the fun!

I bought 4 plastic cup holders at WalMart for $3, they rest on the floorboard and are held in place where the carpet joins the console. It took me breaking two of them to get the curve just right. Basically, cut off an inch and bend it 180 degrees….no, I am not talking about JD's Winter Workout either.

Just use them on passenger side ONLY! Ask me how I know! Besides, THAT IS what the passenger is for as @thstone said. @BruceH's cup holders are nice too.

@KennyBoxster, this is not what they meant by wear a helmet! Although it may be popular at the next meet!

See Ya!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Homeboy981

Garage
Sorry, forget the photo….I use it for LARGE CUPS!! Haven't spilled anything yet at or close to race speeds.

Have since relocated A/C controls and added a cubby, painted silver, of course.

There's a pic of the permanent Wind Deflector too. Enjoy ;-)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #13

Smile cupholder

I too must have my morning coffee, which led to an exhaustive search for the best cupholder arrangement.
So far I have the oem dash version, the Ultimate stainless, the Wal-mart 4 cup-trimmed to 2 cup version, the Autozone 2 cup-trimmed to 1 cup, and the Fischer. Oem looks nice but is in the way while in use and risks an expensive spill or slosh. Ultimate looks nice but not stock & doesn't visually blend into the interior, has low COG, and works best if you stick to one cup size. 4 cut to 2 was actually pretty good and cheap, very stable, easy to remove for cleaning, had a convenient cubby for cell phone & change, allowed an extra cup for passeger too, but just took up too much space in pass. floor for my taste. 2-cut-to-1 version left a plastic tail which I affixed to pass seat child airbag deactivation bar for extreme stability, but hard to remove for cleaning, moved if pass adjusted seat, & was positioned just a bit too far to the passenger side. Never did try the cupholder insert for the oddments tray, it just seemed too awkward to use and I shortly pimped my tray anyway to include charging/power station for cell/GPS/radar so wouldn't fit.
Finally I went to Fischer affixed to carpet on passenger side tunnel: black plastic looks oem, folds up when not in use,stable, lid forms a tray that collects any slosh, accomodates any reasonable size insulated cup, easily reachable but not in way of my footwork or passenger,when installed & folded seat mechanism clears it so seat can be advanced fully forward for cleaning, cost about $15, almost perfect.
Homeboy is showing you the perfect position to mount it.
Stay alert, make sure you easily reach it without looking, and happy boxstering!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Cupholder? That's what the passenger is for.
Yep, the wife knows why I bring her on tours
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Pup

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I'll look into the Fischer cup holder... I assume 2 holes need to be drilled for mounting?

Cold here this morning, 21 degrees when I left.

Can we please skip this winter thing? Cold.Snow.Ice.Slush and yuk.

I'd be okay finishing Novemeber, but couldn't we just slide into May instead of December?

bc
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #16

Fischer mount

Looked at several options to securely mount the F cup holder, with most secure being screwed to the metal tunnel. Was squeamish about blindly predrilling for this, decided to temporarily mount it by just using shortened screws attached only to carpet/padding to check final position before permantly attaching, and 10k miles later I realize position is exactly right but there is no apparent need for more secure mounting as bottom rests on floor mat when in use, carpet holds screws fine. BTW there are large openings in the carpet for mechanicals under the ctr console, which you can use to non-destructively access behind the carpet in area of interest, but has been unnecessary for me to get any more elaborate than described above.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Cold here this morning, 21 degrees when I left.

Can we please skip this winter thing? Cold.Snow.Ice.Slush and yuk.

I'd be okay finishing Novemeber, but couldn't we just slide into May instead of December?

bc
Yes, it sure is cold this morning, 55 Deg this morning, I can almost see my breath. Time for the Seat Heater ;-)

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Pup

Hehe,

If you can see your breath at 55 degrees, you need to brush your teeth my friend!

Pup
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #19

Thumbs up

Welcome....

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote